Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

seafoaming?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-09, 08:03 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoaming?

any feedback ony anyone who has seafoamd their SC??
if you have any instructions that would be helpful to.
thanks
Old 08-18-09, 08:21 PM
roxanne
Pole Position

There's a pretty big thread on this if you search.

What a lot of people do is add 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the crank case, and 1/3 through the pvc hose for the internals. Just be careful to keep the engine revving or you could hydra lock the engine.
Old 08-18-09, 08:55 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roxanne
There's a pretty big thread on this if you search.

What a lot of people do is add 1/3 in the gas tank, 1/3 in the crank case, and 1/3 through the pvc hose for the internals. Just be careful to keep the engine revving or you could hydra lock the engine.
thats exactly what i did!
after i did it in the pcv hose, i got a really small cloud (much to my liking)
my gas mileage increased from about 17 to 19mpg all city driving.
the biggest change was the idle though, its smoooooooooth as silk.
the steering wheel barely even vibrates what so ever.

engine runs beautiful!
Old 08-18-09, 11:03 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

ive looked through alot of threads and have seen mixed reviews, alot of good alot of bad, but for the most part the steps are (amount of sea foam varried from thread to thread)

1.disconnect PCV hose and let it suck about 3/4 of the can and the rest into gas tank
2.I've read that the car is supposed to stall but others say to shut the engine off imediatly after??? <--- help?
3.Start the car and keep revving until most of the smoke is gone (right??)
4.Drive around at high RPM until smoke is gone
5.oil change right after

some people were saying their engine blew and i reallllly dont want that to happen...
Old 08-19-09, 12:42 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked wonders for all of my cars and my mom's LS400.
Old 08-19-09, 12:32 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seafoam is the ****. Better gas mileage, and daily driving is much more smooth.
Old 08-19-09, 10:20 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

added seafoam to the oil and gas today, i definatly felt a huge differance after the oil change. the car has 200,XXX miles on it
Old 08-19-09, 10:38 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

alright man this is what you do. screw whatever else anyone says this is how i did it and it produced amazing results.

1) buy the can.
2) measure out 5.5 onces ( 1/3) of a can. do this 3 times
3) 1/3 into your gas tank. simple.
4) PCV hose, disconnect it. start the car with your thumb covering the hose. (2 people) and have the person keep giving it gas and have them maintain it at about 2-3k revs or else the car will stall. and keep unplugging and plugging it with your thumb so it doesn't suck too much in one time or it will stall. let it graduaally suck the 1/3 up til the cup is dry then SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. let it sit for 15 minutes. a solid 15 minutes.
5) start it up, it may turn over for a few extra seconds, when it starts, rev it up. you don't need to murder your engine and bounce if off the rev limiter i held mine at about 4000. do this for a minute or 2, atleast til the smoke begins to clear. then drive heavy til the smoke is gone. (i only brought mine up to 5k about 3 or 4 times)
6)put the remaining 1/3 into your oil cap. let your car sit for another 5 minutes. then let it idle for 5 minutes.
7) change your oil.
8)take her around the block and let yourself take in the amazement of a brand new feeling engine. = ]
Old 08-19-09, 10:44 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

What he said. ^^^

Except I used the vacuum hose to the brake booster and after I sucked it in, I let it sit for 20 minutes for some seafoam basting before re-starting and blowing out the billows of white smoke. My ex-LS400 idled so smooth and chirped the tires so easily after seafoam.
Old 08-20-09, 08:23 AM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

yes sorry i forgot to mention you can use 1 of 2 vaccum hoses: PCV hose (located on driver side head cover) or you can use the brake booster line.

and i understand where your coming from when being nervous about doing it for the first time...i was really nervous too but you just have to take the plunge and do it man. as long as you follow those simple steps you will be absolutely fine.
Old 08-20-09, 05:18 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

nice thanks man, i got real anxious and just added to oil and gas, but i still saw and felt a huge difference. she's a beast now lol
Old 08-21-09, 08:18 PM
kpkim01
Lead Lap

i just realised today my car was in overdrive all this time, so i wasnt even getting the full experience, but once i turned it off i felt a drastic change from before seafoam to after
Old 08-26-09, 03:35 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Just seafoamed the intake of mc SC4. Billows of smoke.

My neighbor was ready to call 911. Don't remember my 94 LS4 having this much smoke. Only thing to instantly report after all the pollution is the idle is noticeably butter smooth now.
Old 08-26-09, 03:40 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Forgot to add that I used the one man technique. I put the seafoam in a plastic measuring beaker and wedged it between the brake booster and some lines running above the left valve cover. I used the brake booster vacuum line since it was longer than the PVC hose, giving more mobility. Reached under the engine cover and actuated the throttle with my left hand holding the rpms up while feeding in the seafoam with my right hand. If it starts to bog, just cover the vacuum hose tip with your thumb. Don't be afraid to rev it up and blow that carbon out!
Old 08-27-09, 12:03 AM
jdm93400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude i use it all the time , i love it so much i onlyuse it throough the hose that gets the best results. i love when all that smoke comes out my neighbors say is somethng on fire .haha

Quick Reply: seafoaming?