Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can't pass emissions need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 11:28 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't pass emissions need help asap

i have a 92 SC300 that i turbo'd back in Feb and i have been unable to pass emissions since. my car currently isn't registered because of it and i have been really really lucky not to get a ticket yet. i need to get this to pass ASAP. I'm open to any suggestions, tips or tricks anyone may have.
Old 07-12-09, 11:30 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when was the last tune-up?
Old 07-12-09, 11:31 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

connections my friend...connections...you gotta talk your way through the things you need help with in life...go to a smog shop...make friends with the owner...take him to dinner...idk...maybe give him a lil extra $$$$$$$$$.

well srry im editing my post cus i realized that u prolly left your cats on....-_-

Last edited by Mortal300; 07-12-09 at 11:49 PM. Reason: dumb
Old 07-12-09, 11:42 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
when was the last tune-up?
when the turbo was done right after the install. changed basically everything during the entire install. its been progressively getting better each test but its still not passing.
Old 07-13-09, 05:15 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by Mortal300
connections my friend...connections...you gotta talk your way through the things you need help with in life...go to a smog shop...make friends with the owner...take him to dinner...idk...maybe give him a lil extra $$$$$$$$$.

well srry im editing my post cus i realized that u prolly left your cats on....-_-
actually the two from the motor are gone because its turbo... and the other is gone because i have 3in exhaust because its turbo...
Old 07-13-09, 05:52 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

so are you running with no cats at all...you talk the two from the motor (I am guessing you are referring to the actual cats 1- collectyor pipe and then the secondary cat) and the other woudl be your resonanators.

1. put a cat back on for the inspection and then take it off. I bet you would pass no problem with the cat on.
2. search here and suprforums. There are many tricks to get around it using alcohol. Also driving your car hard for about 30 minutes to heat it all up (even without a cat)

What are you failing. Are the carbons too high?
Old 07-13-09, 10:23 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I was going to say the exact same thing. Its called a test pipe pretty much. Instead of it being either a 1 or 2 piece exhaust add a section for 1 big cat or 2 smaller ones in line. Make it easy to bolt and unbolt when you have to go for smog insepctions. Do they have to test or see if you have a EGR vavle or is it just smog?
Old 07-13-09, 07:05 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear mixing 1 gallon pure aceton with 4 gallons premium has worked for cars with no cats
Old 07-13-09, 07:11 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Try Xylene with 3 gallons of gas. Should make your car run cleaner than a Prius lol
Old 07-14-09, 02:35 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
so are you running with no cats at all...you talk the two from the motor (I am guessing you are referring to the actual cats 1- collectyor pipe and then the secondary cat) and the other woudl be your resonanators.

1. put a cat back on for the inspection and then take it off. I bet you would pass no problem with the cat on.
2. search here and suprforums. There are many tricks to get around it using alcohol. Also driving your car hard for about 30 minutes to heat it all up (even without a cat)

What are you failing. Are the carbons too high?
i'm failing for hydrocarbons and the other carbon thats on there.
Old 07-14-09, 02:37 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
^^^ I was going to say the exact same thing. Its called a test pipe pretty much. Instead of it being either a 1 or 2 piece exhaust add a section for 1 big cat or 2 smaller ones in line. Make it easy to bolt and unbolt when you have to go for smog insepctions. Do they have to test or see if you have a EGR vavle or is it just smog?
no dont thinks so, they have yet to pop the hood. they run a mirror underneath and stick the probes in.
Old 07-14-09, 02:39 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by topdog849
i hear mixing 1 gallon pure aceton with 4 gallons premium has worked for cars with no cats
i tried denatured alchohol once and that lowered it a bit but i didnt want to put more in because i didnt know what was going to happen to my motor. i imagine this "aceton" does roughly the same thing yes?
Old 07-14-09, 02:47 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
Try Xylene with 3 gallons of gas. Should make your car run cleaner than a Prius lol
how much of this "xylene" should be put in for 3 gallons of gas? i put a half gallon of denatured alcohol for about a lil under a 1/4 of tank of gas. but i take this xylene and acetone stuff is a bit stronger than the denatured alcohol. since its a 17 gallon tank if i mix this stuff right at the 1/4 tank mark should give me 4.25 gallons if my math is right lol also where would you go to pick up some of these chemicals, like home depot or lowe's?
Old 07-14-09, 10:01 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Before you mix anything into any gas and put that into your tank I would like to see some kind of proof. Just checking so that the motor won't lock up or do some kind of damage so you can just pass a smog inspection. If there is proof that that liquid would help lower bad emissions and not damage your motor I am for it. The test pipe is a more legit way and you can always remove it once your done other then waiting for a liquid to get pumped out of the tank.
Old 07-14-09, 10:33 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Have you put the Catalytic Converters on yet? The CATS are a main factor in Emission testing, they help reduce Hydro Carbons, Cabon Monoxide and sometimes Oxides of Nitrogen(Depending if its a two way or three way bed converter).
Here in Cali, you will fail for a visual and gurantee fail the tailpipe part of the inspections. I see numbers reduce drastically after a converter is installed after a failed inspection.
You dont necessarily need a factory on cause those can cost you an arm and a leg. An aftermarket one will work just as good but wont last as long as a factory one..

Quick Reply: Can't pass emissions need help asap