Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 400 Maintence Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 09:53 PM
seanriley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC 400 Maintence Question?

I recently purchased a 1995 sc400 and about to do some maitenence work to it starting with the timing belt.... so I purchased some BOSCH spark plug wires and NGK spark plugs.... Will the wires work and what type of NGK spark plugs should I be getting?? copper, platinum?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-09, 10:20 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

platinum, I used OEM, which i think was NGK
Old 07-09-09, 10:28 PM
seanriley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by QwkSC
platinum, I used OEM, which i think was NGK
Ok ... so what about the wires? am I ok with the BOSCH or should I go with the factory ones?
Old 07-10-09, 01:49 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

The wires should definitely work with the spark plugs.

Heres the rundown though:

Copper- best performance, cheapest, VERY short life.
Iridium- same performance, most expensive, long life.
Platinum- good performance, not too expensive, shorter life than iridium
Titanium- okay performance, cheaper side, okay life.

......I don't suggest going for anything else. Everything else is garbage
Old 07-10-09, 05:20 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

denso is a rebadged ngk platinum plug.

change the 2 rotor's while you are at it
Old 07-10-09, 08:35 AM
Lexnorwest
Driver School Candidate

Can't speak from experience on the Bosch wires but, once you get the plastic covers off you'll see there's little room for adjustment.... I read several threads on changing plugs, wires & rotors.... most recommened factory wires due to fact you have little room to work with or make any adjustments in length. I used the factory wires, no hassles, they fit perfectly.
Old 07-10-09, 01:42 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

^^ I agree that that statement because I install oem wires on the SC400's a lot. There pricey but it comes with the correct length wires and the lower plasticspark plug wire holder. Real easy install IMO and I am not much of a fan of Bosch products. If you want next to no resistance in the spark you can buy a MSD wire making kit and make them to length. You will have to remove the timing cover/wire cover plastic pieces cause the wires can't bend at a 90 degree angle. Most aftermarket wires won't fit the plastic guides and wires won't stay in place and possibly rub on the timing belt cutting them in half. If you going to do the timing belt replace the idlers and the water pump while you have it opened up it will be easyer and you won't have to open it up again. Replace the wires,plugs,cap ,and rotor. You should be set then.
Old 07-16-09, 03:26 PM
seanriley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc-driver
The wires should definitely work with the spark plugs.

Heres the rundown though:

Copper- best performance, cheapest, VERY short life.
Iridium- same performance, most expensive, long life.
Platinum- good performance, not too expensive, shorter life than iridium
Titanium- okay performance, cheaper side, okay life.

......I don't suggest going for anything else. Everything else is garbage
Thanks Alot... uve been a great help
Old 07-16-09, 03:30 PM
seanriley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexnorwest
Can't speak from experience on the Bosch wires but, once you get the plastic covers off you'll see there's little room for adjustment.... I read several threads on changing plugs, wires & rotors.... most recommened factory wires due to fact you have little room to work with or make any adjustments in length. I used the factory wires, no hassles, they fit perfectly.
I think thats what ill go with.... sounds like the safe bet.... 1 more question??? the owners manual call for denso or ngk #bkr5ep-11.... I accidentally purchased the ngk #bkr6ep-11 .... Can I use these or should I bring them back?
Old 07-16-09, 03:33 PM
seanriley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
^^ I agree that that statement because I install oem wires on the SC400's a lot. There pricey but it comes with the correct length wires and the lower plasticspark plug wire holder. Real easy install IMO and I am not much of a fan of Bosch products. If you want next to no resistance in the spark you can buy a MSD wire making kit and make them to length. You will have to remove the timing cover/wire cover plastic pieces cause the wires can't bend at a 90 degree angle. Most aftermarket wires won't fit the plastic guides and wires won't stay in place and possibly rub on the timing belt cutting them in half. If you going to do the timing belt replace the idlers and the water pump while you have it opened up it will be easyer and you won't have to open it up again. Replace the wires,plugs,cap ,and rotor. You should be set then.
When you say "idlers" can you please name them so that I can make sure I purchase all of them if there are multiple? Thanks in advance...
Old 07-18-09, 07:45 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

There are 2 idlers and the water pump if you want to replace that. Here is a pick to help you out. There near the bottom for a reference.

http://www.uzswap.com/forum/gallery/...6_10_56_18.jpg
Old 07-19-09, 05:42 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since plugs are being discussed on this thread, I installed a set of Autolite platinums 3500 miles ago with new wires and have had a slight hesitation every since. I believe Denso was the O.E. plug, does anyone think a new set of Densos will make a diff.? Also I did not change the caps and rotor buttons because they looked recently replaced but I dont know how long for sure
Old 07-20-09, 01:18 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ Well if you didn't replace those or check them there could be a issue. There could be carbon trailing inside the cap (looks like a line inside) that can cause a misfire. Most spark plugs come pregapped ,but it is always good to check say if they got dropped. If you didn't replace the wires those for sure will go bad over time. They can arch onto the top of the vavle covers causing a miss. Also if you don't use the recommended 93 octane that can cause a spark ping/knock.Check/replace that stuff and see if your condition improves.
Old 07-20-09, 02:31 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did inspect the cap and button on one side and they looked like new. The wires are new NGK blue. Checked the gap on the plugs, always run name brand 93 and also some Lucas cleaner from time to time. Back to the question about the Autolite Pltatinums, do you think a new set of Densos will make a diff.?
Old 07-20-09, 05:59 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

The difference in the metal makes them last a little longer. If you have bad operating conditions like bad sensors,dirt,coolant leaks,etc. your plugs will get messed up anyways. Unless your running boost of some kind then plug gaps,timing and other factors will change. Denso's came in those originally put the factory part back in cause it was designed to run with it.

Quick Reply: SC 400 Maintence Question?