Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-10, 08:44 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transmission looks great, nice job!
Old 03-12-10, 09:29 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shern or anyone with a R154 installed, is your speedometer off by 10 or so MPH. My indicated speed maybe 70 on the speedo, but I am actually doing 60. Verified by GPS equipped application on my Droid. I verified/calibrated the GPS by testing it in my GS. Is there a solution? Thanks again for the writeup.
Old 03-13-10, 07:12 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I ended up just tweaking my speedo needle manually to synchronize speed where it counts: right around 65 mph. I know it's not the most scientific method but it works. I have a Supra TT torsen going in shortly so I will have to tweak again. Any other methods out there?
Old 03-13-10, 02:07 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nate579
Shern or anyone with a R154 installed, is your speedometer off by 10 or so MPH. My indicated speed maybe 70 on the speedo, but I am actually doing 60.
My speedo reads exactly 10mph slow(GPS verified) and that's WITH the TT auto 3.76 differential installed.

Originally Posted by shern
Any other methods out there?
I've been wanting to try this...
http://www.bluegauges.com/prod_yellow_box.htm
Old 01-23-11, 01:07 AM
alsc3
Driver School Candidate

were did u get the speed sensor adapter.and shifter extension.
Old 01-23-11, 06:17 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alsc3
were did u get the speed sensor adapter.and shifter extension.
Speed sensor adapter is from Marlin Crawler. The shifter extension was from Toyota. The parts were hard to acquire back when I did the swap. I don't know the availibility now. Call Carson or Elmhurst Toyota.
Old 01-24-11, 06:48 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Shern quick question. My R154 is the same year as yours so I'm going to have to along gate the holes. Question is your W58 cross member looks exactly like the auto one I have on my 99. Just wondering if you could use the auto cross member. It'd save the hassle of finding the other one
Old 01-24-11, 07:15 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC51
Hey Shern quick question. My R154 is the same year as yours so I'm going to have to along gate the holes. Question is your W58 cross member looks exactly like the auto one I have on my 99. Just wondering if you could use the auto cross member. It'd save the hassle of finding the other one
If the crossmember/transmission mount align with the transmission or are in the ballpark, you are good. I've been driving with only two screws connecting the mount to the transmission for a year and a half now with absolutely no issues. And I hit 15psi at every stop light.
Old 01-24-11, 07:53 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Haha good to know. I was torn between the street disc or the 6 puk. I decided to go with your combo, hows it holding up for you?

And Last question this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...54-swap-2.html post I found post #23 he says you have to bolt and torque down the pp bolts from the bell housing holes? Doesn't make sense is that true??
Old 01-24-11, 08:37 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC51
he says you have to bolt and torque down the pp bolts from the bell housing holes? Doesn't make sense is that true??
This is true. Because the clutch is a pull type clutch, you must place the pressure plate, throwout bearing and fork in the bellhousing on the input shaft before you stab it. Then you tighten the pressure plate bolts through the inspection cutouts. Just remember to apply equal pressure around the pressure plate by turning the crank and tightening as you turn. It will take probably 4 revolutions to get it tight while progressively tightening the bolts. Get a new set of PP bolts BTW, they are cheap.
Old 01-24-11, 08:51 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

When I do the swap I'll post all the pics to my thread, didn't mean to blow up your post Shern.

But I wanted to get a head start and swap the carrier bearing for the DS like you said. Since I have the SC400 shaft on the car now I brought in the Auto one to compare to your pictures and either my auto DS is way diff than yours or my chode mk3 shaft is longer than yours?

I also measured the length of the auto Tranny vs MK3 and the auto is about an inch longer, so its still an inch and a half off?
Attached Thumbnails Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread-shafts1.jpg  

Last edited by SC51; 01-24-11 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Forgot some info
Old 01-24-11, 01:00 PM
LP1
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc 400 r154/w58

I've done both conversions and thought I would share my observations. We installed the JDM R154 shifter extension but didn't like the throw. It was long and awkward as compared to the W58. However, we used a shortened and bent Supra stick, the JDM gooseneck R154 stick has a different part number. We ended up fabricating an extension, one of the benefits of going that route is that you can extend the bottom of the stick (below the ball) to make it a shorter shift. The Soarer R154 transmission mount bolts on perfectly and aligns with cross member. It looks just like the W58 mount but the transmission bolt hole location is slightly different ie you do not have to elongate the holes - we ordered it from a JDM supplier.

We went with solid drive shafts primarily because you can not replace the u-joints on the stock units and just can't be sure of the age and condition of the used components. All of the conversion stuff less bell housing and flywheel is easily sourced through driftmotion.com.

We found the auto differential gearing to be too short behind the V8, you hit rev limiter before you can think to shift, so we installed 3.27 gears for dirveability. Correcting the speedo is easy as well, we used a Dakota Digital univeral unit SGI-5 we sourced from Summit racing.

Pictures show a JDM W-58 and a Supra modified R-154 we used. Transmission input shafts are aligned to provide a reference for the shifter locations.
Attached Thumbnails Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread-r154-extension.jpg   Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread-sc-transmission_0003.jpg   Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread-r154-drve-shaft.jpg  
Old 01-24-11, 01:32 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^ wow those are some clean looking Transmissions rite there!

So I think I answered my own question, someone can chime in if I'm wrong. I referenced this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-my-sc400.html He used his complete OEM driveshaft from auto and post #10 shows it comes up a little short even with spacers. So the extra length of the MK3 shaft should be perfect.
Old 01-24-11, 02:11 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

^^ Yup sounds about right. Just switch over the carrier bearing and you should be fine
Old 01-24-11, 06:30 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Nice thread shern. I saw it cost you about 2000. Could you give me a break down please. I just what like to know whats needed and whats not. THX

Quick Reply: Shern's W58 to R154 swap thread