Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 01:37 AM
megamarine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap!

Well everyone. I've pretty much given up on putting in my own Turbo. I just feel I wont have the time and my motor would become such a hassle to deal with. So, I came up with a solution.

I now wanna swap out the stock 2jz-ge(Has 102,000 miles) and replace it with a 2jz-gte Twin Turbo Supra/Aristo engine(Less than 40,000 miles). The good thing about this is, instead of buying a regular turbo setup for around $4,000, I can pay half that for a better engine already equipped with Turbos and half the miles. Now, I need to know if it's a wise idea. Because with my purchase comes the block and gear, the ECU for it, the uncut wiring harness, and igniter. Besides that, I'd like to know how much power it'll have over the stock setup, and how well it will work with my car. Specific Horsepower gains and the like if you could. I run an 2000 Sc300, and the engine(With everything else) is a stock setup 100%. If I do the engine swap, the only mod Ill be doing after it is adding an Injen Cold Air intake to it as well as Tanabe Medallion Dual Exhausts. So, any help you guys could give would be great!

Thanks!
-Matt
Old 06-27-09, 02:09 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude all the information is already on here, please use the search feature this topic has been beaten to death on here and on supraforums.com
Old 06-27-09, 07:04 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

should be around 4K to 5K it's not gonna be cheap,Which GTE are u going with?
I would go with the VVTI, and that's more money .
There are a lot info about those swap just do a little research and you will find out yourself and Pm the People that have done the swap, you will find those people when u search .
GL man
Old 06-27-09, 02:02 PM
megamarine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Dude all the information is already on here, please use the search feature this topic has been beaten to death on here and on supraforums.com
My apologies, but it was 1:37 AM when I wrote this, I was far to tired to search.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
should be around 4K to 5K it's not gonna be cheap,Which GTE are u going with?
I would go with the VVTI, and that's more money .
There are a lot info about those swap just do a little research and you will find out yourself and Pm the People that have done the swap, you will find those people when u search .
GL man
Well, I was actually thinking of this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...205|240%3A1318

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-T...205|240%3A1318

The latter choice is not from my friend, Chris. Though, it does seem to have the same pieces. Each one runs from years 93-97.

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Half the price (2k) for a aristo gte swap. LMOA dont make me laugh. Even if you get the engine + other stuff for 2k, your still going to spend atleast 1k on misc parts like water pump, sway bar and wiring. Since if your still thinking about performance in terms of injen intakes i doubt you know how to splice your own wrining. Oh and just so you know those engines are wayyy more then 40k miles. And if you plan on blinding swapping an engine straight from the crate to the car then your making a HUGE mistake. You should rebuild it because you have no idea what that engines condition is.

After you do a PROPER gte swap its going to cost you atleast 4k.
Man, if I felt like being belittled when asking a simple few questions, I would have gone to 4chan or the like...Besides, I should have mentioned I already have said other miscellaneous parts to install it. And when you mention the condition of the engine as well, I should have made another note. The setup comes directly from a close friend who simply took it out of his ride to sell along with the rest of the parts for the car(Don't even ask why he does that, he just does...) and the miles on it are actually running under 35,000. And finally, as it comes down to the intake and exhausts, I stated that, simply because those are currently in my possession and I'm not going to waste them.

Last edited by megamarine; 06-27-09 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-27-09, 03:05 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

smartest thing to do would be to buy an actual usdm supra engine with 6 speed trans or 5 speed.
Old 06-27-09, 03:23 PM
megamarine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1siksc
smartest thing to do would be to buy an actual usdm supra engine with 6 speed trans or 5 speed.
I know I'm gonna sound like a damned fool, but why is that? Wouldn't it just be more beneficial to go with a better version of my current engine since all this car is doing is being my Drifter/Time Attack/Daily Driver.
Old 06-27-09, 05:13 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its near impossible to find a USDM 2jzgte for less than 3 or 4k. Just get an aristo motor and swap with a rear sump, and mod the wiring harness.
Old 06-27-09, 05:20 PM
meazy
Driver

Originally Posted by megamarine
Well everyone. I've pretty much given up on putting in my own Turbo. I just feel I wont have the time and my motor would become such a hassle to deal with. So, I came up with a solution.

I now wanna swap out the stock 2jz-ge(Has 102,000 miles) and replace it with a 2jz-gte Twin Turbo Supra/Aristo engine(Less than 40,000 miles). The good thing about this is, instead of buying a regular turbo setup for around $4,000, I can pay half that for a better engine already equipped with Turbos and half the miles. Now, I need to know if it's a wise idea. Because with my purchase comes the block and gear, the ECU for it, the uncut wiring harness, and igniter. Besides that, I'd like to know how much power it'll have over the stock setup, and how well it will work with my car. Specific Horsepower gains and the like if you could. I run an 2000 Sc300, and the engine(With everything else) is a stock setup 100%. If I do the engine swap, the only mod Ill be doing after it is adding an Injen Cold Air intake to it as well as Tanabe Medallion Dual Exhausts. So, any help you guys could give would be great!

Thanks!
-Matt
my aristo swap into my 99 gs300 cost me $2500 in parts and $2500 in labor and that was w/o the motor which was $2900 itself(vvti) be very wise in what you decide...
Old 06-27-09, 07:10 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you said you wanted to spend more so you wouldn't have to en of changeing anything. btw...

the swap to get running
-Custom Downpipe 35
-Aristo 1540
-Valve Cover Hoses 20
-Walbro 255lph 99
-IC and Piping 256
-Tial BOV 200
-SC400 Driveshaft 89
-Oil Pan tap 20
-Water Pump Assembly 111
-Wireing Harness work 490
-Supra Throttle Cable 60
-Intake Manifold Drill and Tap 38

Total: 2958... That Shipping and Everything.
Old 06-28-09, 12:44 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Even if the engine only had 30k on it, i would still like to tear it down a bit to make sure nothing has gone drastically wrong with it. Who knows, the last owner may have never changed the oil or may have driven it ***** to the wall all day long. Never trust what the last owner says about a vehicle until you see the paperwork on it or see the engine for yourself. That being said, many people have dropped in a motor as is and have had zero problems with it. I wouldn't take that risk though.

As for the swap, it would run you between $4-5k doing all the work yourself (speaking from other's experience). it would probably put you around 290-300 hp for starters, maybe more with some basic mods

IMO i would reconsider the NA-T route, it would be a lot less hassle and still be just as effective at producing power.
Old 06-28-09, 01:17 AM
megamarine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StiCk3
Even if the engine only had 30k on it, i would still like to tear it down a bit to make sure nothing has gone drastically wrong with it. Who knows, the last owner may have never changed the oil or may have driven it ***** to the wall all day long. Never trust what the last owner says about a vehicle until you see the paperwork on it or see the engine for yourself. That being said, many people have dropped in a motor as is and have had zero problems with it. I wouldn't take that risk though.

As for the swap, it would run you between $4-5k doing all the work yourself (speaking from other's experience). it would probably put you around 290-300 hp for starters, maybe more with some basic mods

IMO i would reconsider the NA-T route, it would be a lot less hassle and still be just as effective at producing power.
I do appreciate it, but my only and final concern for that is the power of NA-T? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to run real boost for drifts?
Old 06-28-09, 09:00 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

What do you mean real boost? Are you still auto or manual? At 9psi your well into the 300 +hp range, and that's good for drifting. The w58 is strong until 350whp, but I've seen most people go above that. Get some more info on going na-t route, as the only difference in the ge and gte is the head, and that's been talked about on the supraforms as most run a the ge block cause it's cheaper than getting a gte block.
Old 06-28-09, 10:10 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

this is truly a buyers market right now, if you hop over to the supraforums classifieds, there are eye popping deals that come up literally every hour. I wish i was starting a project right now, as i don't think there will be a better time to take advantage of low prices on used car parts than right now. If your end power goal is in the 300-400hp, then i would definately consider a stock jdm swap, although alot of people say go na-t for that range, i believe that there are too many nitty gritty details that its not worth going na-t unless your going to go all out. Whereas you can easily be in that range with a stock aristo swap and everything will work like stock, it will be quiet, comfortable no tuning required etc. I can tell you that most supra owners that were once bpu and went big single say that they miss bpu more than anything. Toyota had a phenomenal setup going already and everyone comes in to tweak it, but there is alot to be said about a stock gte.

There are frequently complete 2jzgte and 6speed swaps as a complete unit (engine and tranny with all the goodies) on ebay for a little under 6k shipped. Thats a good deal to me, and i'd run with something like that if i were you. It will put you in a decent power range, but you won't lose any form of driveability and you'll have a nice gte to go single with if you ever get the bug down the line.
You said "since all this car is doing is being my Drifter/Time Attack/Daily Driver" Now thats alot to ask of a car, and if you truly are going to attempt to build the all around beast, i would definately recommend doing a swap and not na-t, and i would definately recommend keeping it bpu and not going single. You don't need any more power than bpu for any of those.

Alas, if you're aiming for more power, then it really doesn't matter if you go na-t or gte, because if both setups are built properly, they can both provide tremendous power.
Old 06-28-09, 04:37 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how bout 1jz VVTI jhot prob has what u need or u can hit up soltrain99 he na-T
Old 06-28-09, 07:14 PM
tonysc400
Pole Position

are you keeping this auto or manual? remember a 6 speed gear box will cost you alone 3-3500 bucks..i kept my car auto because of less **** to break but everyone is different..or you can go the other route and put a 5 speed r154 or even better a 1jz or soarer tranny..well anyway i would go with a 2jzgte swap..really dont have to go internal in these engines ..all you got to do is boost,fuel,proper tuning...regardless its an expensive hobby..just do it rigght the first time and the main thing is to be PATIENT

Quick Reply: Engine Swap!