Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 1JZGTE thread, 93 SC300 with W58

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 02:52 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome job man....Keep up the good work. I myself am waiting for jhot's next shipment. A FYI for you guys, they got a 5spd soarer motorset coming in. I opted to go with an auto motorset and reuse my W58. If I go single, ill think about a r154 then.

On a side note, since im doing pretty much the same thing you are, could you make a little list of the things you had to do/redo for the swap....just to make sure I don't miss anything cause I gotta come in on a friday afternoon, roll out sunday evening kinda deal. Im planning on resurfacing my stock flywheel and finding a different clutch (not sure which one yet tho).

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Again, great job there...
Old 07-28-09, 07:51 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I get this figured out I will get a list together. checking igniter and coil packs today.
Old 07-28-09, 10:51 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Didn't get a chance to check it today but I did stop by and look at it again and number 3 coil pack has a crack in it. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

Could this be my issue.?
Old 07-28-09, 11:27 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sventhemac
Didn't get a chance to check it today but I did stop by and look at it again and number 3 coil pack has a crack in it. Can't believe I didn't see it before.

Could this be my issue.?
How is it ideling? Also does it feel normal sub 2000 rpm? If its sputtering exactly at 2k each and every time? it seems to me that its more of an electronic issue, like a faulty sensor...possibly Crank or Cam sensor.

I guess it could also be your ecu throwing timing if it sees lots of misfire, which could in fact be a faulty coil. You only option there is to replace it and see if that fixes it. Any pics of the damaged coil?
Old 07-28-09, 01:29 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I can get a picture tomorrow when I Replace it my internal tach is dead so I will hook up my other one too and see exactly when it does. Idle seems great to me and all the old guys at the shop. Threw some injector cleaner it the tank also since the motor hasn't run since the middle of may.

Thanks eagle for bouncing all these ideas/suggestions at me.
Old 07-28-09, 08:25 PM
Yahoo27
Driver

Fuel leak fixed, new line.
Power steering ine is in looks agood and doesn't leak,woohoo.
I have the stuttering problem, clipped the black wire, didn't help.

I need sleep and to read up on all the other threads again.
I need to bleed the clutch.
Put the lip back on, car looks like **** without it,
I am working 7pm to 7am so working on the car has taken the back burner again.
Not to hijack but is there a thread on cutting the black wire to stop the stuttering. My 1jz just started acting up it doesn't idle unless you give it gas and once you do it stutters and sounds like it's running on less than six cylinders.
Old 07-28-09, 08:35 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Yahoo27
Not to hijack but is there a thread on cutting the black wire to stop the stuttering. My 1jz just started acting up it doesn't idle unless you give it gas and once you do it stutters and sounds like it's running on less than six cylinders.

Onejay did it on his thread. Mine idles all day but gets stupid when I give it gas. Can't hijack it man I want this to have answers to all my questions=answers to other peoples questions too.

Just to reinterate mine is running fine at idle and then the whole thing cuts at xxxxRPM.
Old 07-28-09, 11:54 PM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Also have you checked for boost leaks? If you got a bad enough leak, that could be causing it. Only correct way to check is to pressure test the system via compressor at the beginning of the turbo outlet. If you hear hissing or worse feel air, you obviously have a leak. You never know with these old couplers and hoses.....

Also this is from a soarer and not a supra correct? Cause the supra 1j's always have leaking capacitors in the ECU....

Keep us updated.......
Old 07-29-09, 08:33 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

I will see what I can do today about the boost leak. Its from a soarer. I am going with a FMIC later but not right now so hopefully whenever this new coil shows up today I can get to testing on the car to see if its the coil or igniter. If not those then I am looking at the ECU. Get Caps redone just for peace of mind.
Old 07-29-09, 07:06 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Swapped out the broken coil for the new one. No change. Pulled each connector off, one by one, got a miss everytime so they are getting a signal from the igniter. Need to see which wire is the tach signal so I can hook up my external tach.

Bled the clutch and still no change in that. Thinking maybe an extended rod for the slave cylinder.

I need some help searched and searched for the CEL wiring. Could have sworn I found it one time but now I am at a loss. Is it good to go? I thought I read somewhere about changing a few pins around to get it to work?
Old 07-30-09, 11:50 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

WOOHOO. Revving issue is fixed I hooked up my ext tach to it and voila I have revs throughout the range.

Still have the clutch Issue. ordered a SS clutch line and having a longer slave cylinder rod machined to combat the issue.

EDIT-Forgot to mention I heard boost and the BOV for the first time. ITs awesomeness.!!!!

Last edited by GSXRMack; 07-30-09 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Heard some things I liked.
Old 07-30-09, 12:12 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HAHA glad u got it fixed, sorry i couldnt help out much!!! I felt the same way when i got mine running.
What about the misfiring any news on that ?
Old 07-30-09, 02:42 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

WOOHOO. Revving issue is fixed I hooked up my ext tach to it and voila I have revs throughout the range.

Still have the clutch Issue. ordered a SS clutch line and having a longer slave cylinder rod machined to combat the issue.

EDIT-Forgot to mention I heard boost and the BOV for the first time. ITs awesomeness.!!!!
so what ended up fixing it? did you get your CEL wiring done btw?

grats on boost...you must be overjoyed.. cant wait for that feeling when i get mine done. i've been sitting on my 1jz for almost 4 years now and finally have the $$ this summer to do it right. =)
Old 07-30-09, 05:21 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
HAHA glad u got it fixed, sorry i couldnt help out much!!! I felt the same way when i got mine running.
What about the misfiring any news on that ?
Its all good man did you have any issues with the clutch not wanting to release? That's my only problem now.

Originally Posted by codetoad
so what ended up fixing it? did you get your CEL wiring done btw?

grats on boost...you must be overjoyed.. cant wait for that feeling when i get mine done. i've been sitting on my 1jz for almost 4 years now and finally have the $$ this summer to do it right. =)
Just having a tach signal hooked up is what did it, I remember a while back reading on a RX7 swap about some japanese motors have three rev limiters, boost, speed, and tach signal. I was just hooking it up to see where the cut was happening at. BTW my stock tach is dead the motor in it went bad.

Negative on the CEL wiring still haven't found that writeup again.

I haven't driven it yet because of the clutch problem might have to drop it and see what is going on in it.
Old 07-30-09, 09:18 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

nice, ill remember that when im doing my swap. hopefully someone reading this thread can shed light on the CEL wiring.

Quick Reply: My 1JZGTE thread, 93 SC300 with W58