Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Automatic Stalling Out? Waitwut?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 12:39 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Stalling Out? Waitwut?!

When I first got the car it sometimes would shut off? Stall out? I would throw it in park and it would start right back up. The owner had given me the car with a smaller battery then needed for the car and with my ipod hookup and the radio lights and everything else going I thought that was it.

So I bought a new battery the correct size. And for the longest time iv had no problems but just this path month it has happened twice. It happens once I am at a complete stop or making one once im at very low speeds. It always starts right back up. Im am the 3rd owner and and im not sure on maintenance from previous owner how well they took care of the car.

My friend told me that its probably my throttle body and he would come out and clean it out for me? Is that good are there any other possibilities?

There's no check engine light on or anything either.

BTW its a 95 400
Old 11-29-09, 12:42 PM
24boosted
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you don't know maintenance history have you changed out the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor? Might as well change the oil and tranny fluid while you're at it.
Old 11-29-09, 12:44 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

In about 500 miles I need another oil changed so I was going to wait until then, I was going to sea foam my car and get the oil changed and spark plugs.

Is that to long to wait?

The oil is really only the maintenance iv done. But maybe then ill change to other stuff to.
Old 11-29-09, 12:44 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could also be your fuel pump ECU going bad. Had my car completely die while driving at cruising speed. Started right back up, but a couple months later it just died and needed replacing.
Old 11-29-09, 12:48 PM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

^^^ Is there a way to test that? Other than just buying a new one?
Old 11-30-09, 10:23 AM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

Sounds to me like the exact same problem I had a while back...it was with my Camaro...but the problem is the same, import or domestic problems can vary but your symptoms match those of my Chevy. I needed a new starter. The retractable gear that turns the crankshaft locked itself into place since it was old (the original part from the factory) and you won't notice any grinding sound or anything either. The car will start right up the way it is. Anyway I digress, with the gear stuck, it would start my car but stay in place, putting extra load on the crank, which is what caused it to die at slow speeds or when I came to a stop since the idle isn't high enough to support the load of the starter. If you're not mechanically inclined, take your car to see if the starter is engaged when the car is in the off position. If it is, then it's the starter.

Just thought I'd put my two cents in since it's the exact problem I had and wound up spending a small fortune until I discovered the problem.
Old 12-02-09, 11:25 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Humm you could actually be right. Once in a while my car will fire right up but lately its been taking it a good bit to turn over. I had my started tested couple weeks ago and they said it was ok but maybe the symptoms you described won't show up on an auto zone testing. Should I go get it retested there? Or the problems with my starter as described won't show up on an auto zone test?

Yeah cause its only at low speeds never at high. It happened 2 times just today. It never occurred this often in short amount of time usually 2 times in a month. So I guess im going to take it to a shop if auto zone says its good.
Old 12-02-09, 02:00 PM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

That's what it sounds like to me...and autozone only tests to see if the starter cranks, not mechanical problems...go to an actual shop where they'll get under it and check it physically, not electrically.

But yeah, at high speeds there's enough torque and RPM's to support the load of the starter, but at a low speed it basically bogs the engine down, sometimes enough to literally stop the motor.