Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Headers?

Old 06-15-09, 10:48 PM
renren7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Headers?

Hey guys, I'm toying with the idea of getting a header for my sc4 with tanabe medalion exhaust, so far I've found 2 options, one is the S&S Headers and the other is the IMF Headers, offered by one guy on planet soarer, dont know if you guys heard of him...

Both are about 600 bucks, from what the IMF guys said he claims his header probably will perform better because its stainless steel

This is his email to me, in quote

"The S&S headers are short tube design, the IMF headers are long tube designed (not full length) to give you better performance and power gains over short tube (can be twice as much HP as short tube design).

The S&S headers are mild steel ceramic coated (the coating will burn off after a few thousand miles and will need to be recoated in order to maintain performance gain, otherwise you could actually start losing power.

The IMF headers are stainless steel and will never need to be retreated or maintained in any way. It will last the life of the car and maintain the power gains through the life of the car. Stainless steel is all around a better product which cost twice as much as mild steel, sometimes more.

Due to the headers design, the IMF headers should provide with more horsepower and torque gain over the S&S. I might be biased but if you look at the design by itself and compare the two headers you can easily see why the IMF are superior. You dont have to take my word for it. Look at any other type of headers made for other cars and look at which ones are the most popular and which ones provide the best power gains and you will find more similarities to the IMF headers then you would to the S&S design."

Just wondering if any of you guys had any experience with either headers, any feedback, suggestions, are always welcomed

Also, does anyone know if i will fail any visual or smog inspection if i install the headers? I'm in So Cal
Old 06-16-09, 01:37 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never heard of the IMF headers...are they anything like the Rush Imports headers?
Old 06-16-09, 01:50 AM
renren7
Lead Lap

this is the link where i found it
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10750
Old 06-16-09, 03:39 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mmm never heard of them....

iv also NEVER heard of Losing horsepower because of he ceramic coating coming off?!?!?!
Im calling bull ****, i think they may be a viable option to the header department, BUT i think he is just trying to bash his competition.

If possible, ask him for a dyno sheet proving his are better, or ask around on planet soarer as well, maybe even the Lextreme Forums =)

Thanks for showing us this option tho, let me know what you do and how you like your choice
Old 06-16-09, 06:01 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

I've had the S&S headers on my GS430 for over 3 years ( and this is my daily driver, so about 50,000 miles worth ) and the Jet Hot ceramic coating looks like it did the day I installed them. The S&S headers increase the peak power and more importantly, they increase the mid-range and drivability. Best engine mod I've done on my GS430 ( and I have a few ). Pearlpower did some dyno pulls to prove the increase on his SC430.

Can't speak for the other headers, as I know of no-one running them -or- any dyno results.
Old 06-16-09, 06:13 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with both above statements. Sounds like B... crap to me about the coating coming off and losing horsepower. Everyone on here pretty much stands behind the S and S headers... I would say go with what people have used over and over again. PM Scotturnot and redphoenix. I believe they have them on there for awhile. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-16-09, 06:34 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the IMF headers and absolutely love them. they aren't a perfect fit as the driver side tends to shift closer to the transmission, but neither is the S&S for the SC. The S&S is more geared towards the GS exhaust. The IMF headers on the passenger side will bolt up directly whereas the driver side, like i said, is shifted towards the transmission and won't bolt up exactly.

Old 06-17-09, 02:54 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the design of the Rush headers...simple and straight, just the way it should be...

Old 07-22-09, 09:43 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
I love the design of the Rush headers...simple and straight, just the way it should be...

Both the S&S and the IMF headers wont be able to touch those rush headers across the entire powerband. A full length tri-Y setup like the rush ones is pretty much the best choice for the street, I've learned from building lots of sbc's that shorty headers are more like an alternative to cast manifolds than an alternative to long tubes
Old 04-14-12, 09:25 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is beautiful.
Old 06-13-12, 06:48 PM
vr4gt
Driver School Candidate

are these still around? I looked at the website....
Old 06-15-12, 02:04 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same question here!
Old 06-16-12, 06:20 AM
stratman3
Driver

Same here as well
Old 06-17-12, 05:49 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

I have the IMF headers going through stock exhaust. They sound great on acceleration and totally quiet while cruising. Very small seat of the pants increase. Hard to tell as 10 or so hp would be impossible to feel.
Old 08-03-12, 04:15 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

http://rushimports.com.au/store/index.php?cPath=6

i cant find a "add to cart" button

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC400 Headers?