Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 09:47 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings

I am considering tackling this myself. I know the rears are set-up completely different from the fronts, but are they any more difficult to get to? I'll likely be taking the hubs to a shop to get the new bearings pressed in, so I just need to be able to get them off the rear axle.

Has anybody done this before? Was it very involved? (I know Jibbby has, but it appears he's been banned from this forum - at least, that's what I saw listed under his screen name last I checked - I haven't posted here in at least a year, so sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop.)

Thanks!
Old 06-01-09, 10:03 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Bro unless your really good with tools and like to go on missions i highly suggest that u let someone else do it. Cuz i am currently on that mission myslef and my Lexus Tech hates to do that it took about 2.5hours just to do one side the hardest parts would be removing and replaceing the e-brake set up behond the rotor assembly..GL
Old 06-01-09, 10:58 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Yeah, I figured if even the Lex Techs are saying it's a 6-hour job it's gotta be pretty involved. Their 6 hours is my 18 hours.

On that note: Stealership wants $570 (I'm supplying the parts myself, including the seals) I've been quoted $500 by one shop, and $408 by another. Again, these rates are for labor only.

Has anyone gotten this done before for much less (labor)?
Old 06-01-09, 12:04 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

i get the job done for about 100 per side but thats cuz i work at the stealer and i know the techs. anything in the 300 mabey 400 sounds alright you dont have any mechanic friends that can help you ?
Old 06-01-09, 03:43 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Thats cuz i work at the stealer.
Which one do you work at? Cause I work for LEX of Clearwater.

Those are not fun to do parking brake cables aren't that fun to mess with plus you wouldn't have the all the tools to get it done. Plus if you mess up something you can't drive it to a shop cause the car is broken. If you have the parts and you don't want to get charged the extra labor at the dealer go to a corporate owed store. If they mess up something on your suspension or brakes they have to either fix it or pay for it. Independent shops can be shady and I don't recommend them to people unless they have a good rep and have been around for awhile. If the bearings aren't making any noise or any other issues leaved them alone. Maintenance something else that needs it and trust me there is always something that needs to be maintained or fixed.
Old 06-01-09, 05:55 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Which one do you work at? Cause I work for LEX of Clearwater.

I was working at Lex of Pembroke Pines but now I am going over to the new store Lex of North Miami
Old 06-02-09, 06:06 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did it myself in my garage using my own press and i personally thought it was cake.

take of the caliper, take off the caliper bracket, unplug the ABS sensor at the trunk and route it to the wheel wells, take off the sway bar mount, take off the controll arms top and bottom, take of the traction bars and then lastly take off the nut that holds the axle inplace and the hub comes out.

press out the bearing then replace the seals and reverse and your done. takes about 3 ish hours.
Old 06-02-09, 08:10 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Biggu
I did it myself in my garage using my own press and i personally thought it was cake.

take of the caliper, take off the caliper bracket, unplug the ABS sensor at the trunk and route it to the wheel wells, take off the sway bar mount, take off the controll arms top and bottom, take of the traction bars and then lastly take off the nut that holds the axle inplace and the hub comes out.

press out the bearing then replace the seals and reverse and your done. takes about 3 ish hours.
lmao you must be mecanicaly inclined because all the things you said are way easier said than done and i have seen this job done on my SC first hand by a vet. lex tech and let me tell you it aint cake. Pluse my car is a FLA car which means there wasent that much if any corrosion for a 17 year old car but i dont think the same could be said for cars that live where snow falls..GL
Old 06-02-09, 11:09 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
i get the job done for about 100 per side but thats cuz i work at the stealer and i know the techs. anything in the 300 mabey 400 sounds alright you dont have any mechanic friends that can help you ?
My brother is a certified mechanic. But he doesn't have all day to stand around helping me with this job - he works every Saturday and is usually too beat after 8 hours lifting 85lb rotors, 45lb calipers and other city bus parts to pitch in after work.

So, are you saying the E-brake is one of the most delicate things to work around (dis-engage and put back) on this task? Because I didn't see it mentioned at all in Biggu's step-by-step. I've done struts, springs, control arms & C.A. bushings all the way around before (oh, and the front bearings). Is this really that much more involved than any of these?

Biggu - did you remove the old and press in the new bearings yourself? Did you have special tools for that? I had planned on just running the hubs up to a local machine shop to get pressed for $25/ea.
Old 06-02-09, 11:23 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
My brother is a certified mechanic. But he doesn't have all day to stand around helping me with this job - he works every Saturday and is usually too beat after 8 hours lifting 85lb rotors, 45lb calipers and other city bus parts to pitch in after work.

So, are you saying the E-brake is one of the most delicate things to work around (dis-engage and put back) on this task? Because I didn't see it mentioned at all in Biggu's step-by-step. I've done struts, springs, control arms & C.A. bushings all the way around before (oh, and the front bearings). Is this really that much more involved than any of these?

Biggu - did you remove the old and press in the new bearings yourself? Did you have special tools for that? I had planned on just running the hubs up to a local machine shop to get pressed for $25/ea.
yeah in biggu's explanation he didn't mention the e-brake and i am not sure what he means but routing the abs sensor from the trunk I/we didnt have to do this but yes once you remove the rotor you will be able to see the e-brake set-up and there is when the fun starts. Your gonna have to remove some springs and clips which are on very tight and i am not sure which ones or in which order you gotta take them off in to be abl to remove the whole e-brake set up to then be able to remove the whole spindel/hub assembly
Old 06-02-09, 08:30 PM
SCMM300
Driver School Candidate

I consider this to be a pretty difficult job to do and extremely time consuming. Your best bet is to take it to a shop and have them do it.
Old 06-02-09, 09:06 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
for $25 each id just take it to the machine shop. IMO the hardest part of the whole job is pressing the bearings. when you press it in, you need to be absolutely straight or else it messes up the bearings.
Old 06-03-09, 10:54 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Biggu
When you press it in, you need to be absolutely straight or else it messes up the bearings.
Amen to that brother did that once a long time ago wasn't fun.
Old 06-08-09, 07:26 PM
PEARL2
Pole Position

I did this myself yesterday. everything except press the bearing--the most difficult thing was removing the ebrake cable. everything is really simple but if you haven't replace your ebrake or rear rotors some stuff might look foreign to you. On another note I thing the idiot at the shop pressed the bearing uneven and messed it up, s... still shake. Got to pick us a new bearing tomorrow. Best bet --get a friend who has more knowledge about it before you start..u don't want to mess stuff up.
Old 06-08-09, 08:59 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

i have to do both my rear wheel bearings.. they have some play in them, i work for audi so i cant imagine it can be any worse than doing any other bearing. you just have to skills on the press

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Wheel Bearings