Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

hks or oem timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-09, 11:41 AM
Holtspeed
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hks or oem timing belt

ok.. i have a 95 sc300 5spd and just hit 100,000. i had a problem with the tensioner and im now replacing my timing belt along with spark plugs, wires, vavle cover seals, ect. i am all stock motor wise btw

i spent the last two days polishing my vavle covers... pics soon in plans to leeve my top timing/ spark plug cover off to show off my hard work(polished vavle cover) and a hks timing belt.... in hopes of searching i could NOT find anything or anyone to much about or that has a hks timing belt

one thread had sumone wanting to get a gates tb but was told by two members to go oem WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!!

like i said all stock i just thought the hks would be stronger than oem and would help me on the bling factor

if any one has an hks timing belt PLEASE post pics

thanks guys!!!
Old 05-31-09, 12:09 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I would just go with the OEM belt personally, but it's really up to you. Since your car is stock it would probably make the most sense to just go with the original equipment. Chances are you'll get rid of the car before you need to change the belt again. Don't worry about the "bling factor" because unless you're a M4D tYt3 DryFt0R who posts your fluids as an upgrade in your sig. it's not worth mentioning
Old 05-31-09, 12:42 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

stick with oem.
Old 05-31-09, 01:16 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oem or Gator-Back if you can't find one...
Old 05-31-09, 03:36 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whats the difference ? Why OEM over HKS/GATES/GREDDY if engine is stock now but obviously mods are going to be added ?
Old 05-31-09, 04:00 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I would just go with the OEM belt personally, but it's really up to you. Since your car is stock it would probably make the most sense to just go with the original equipment. Chances are you'll get rid of the car before you need to change the belt again. Don't worry about the "bling factor" because unless you're a M4D tYt3 DryFt0R who posts your fluids as an upgrade in your sig. it's not worth mentioning
it is stock i plan on more mods soon though, not that a timing belt is going to make a huge diffrance cause im not doin cams or anything..but GET RID OF MY CAR.....NO WAY!!!! lol i love my sc... anywho i see your point i just pritty much want to see sumthing else under my hood other than the polished vavle cover and my procarparts intake i got cuming i just want to make sure the hks it fits ok
Old 05-31-09, 04:18 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

What's the price diff between the two? If it's not much in difference, and you do plan on doing some mods down the road.. I'd go for it.
Old 05-31-09, 04:20 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
whats the difference ? Why OEM over HKS/GATES/GREDDY if engine is stock now but obviously mods are going to be added ?
I guess theres not really a big difference...

The reason why I thought HKS was I'm pretty picky and I don't wanna pop my hood and see a blue timing belt running on red cam gears and Chrome pulleys ya know?

I will have some minor mods...motor mods will include pro car parts intake, drift motion pulley kit, some sort of catback, and for now 75 shot wet kit.

These are just the beginning tho...
Old 05-31-09, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Forget what people said, go for what you want.
Old 05-31-09, 04:48 PM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Don't worry about the "bling factor" because unless you're a M4D tYt3 DryFt0R who posts your fluids as an upgrade in your sig. it's not worth mentioning
haha. i never understood that either.
Old 05-31-09, 05:36 PM
status....
Lead Lap

arent some of those aftermarket belts rebadged gates racing ones anyway
Old 05-31-09, 05:50 PM
7sins
Driver

Sounds like you're more concerned with what your car looks like rather than performance. If you just wanna show off do your thing. Regardless of what any of us say it seems to me that you've already made your choice. Hope to see pics of your purple belt soon. GL
Old 05-31-09, 11:36 PM
Holtspeed
Driver

Originally Posted by 7sins
Sounds like you're more concerned with what your car looks like rather than performance. If you just wanna show off do your thing. Regardless of what any of us say it seems to me that you've already made your choice. Hope to see pics of your purple belt soon. GL

looks over performance huh? im very concerned with looks as well as performance. i didnt say i was gonna buy an autozone belt and spray it lime green to match my neons geez...

last time i checked hks is pretty reputable company but like any company sometimes they have flaws like a while back HKS had problems with there cam gears eating up tbs... i mean i pretty much do have my mind made up, but just seeing if anyone has used them on ge's (i see alot on the gte's) and how they fit or if anyone has had problems with them...

I guess when i spend my money on something, i want it to go to good use and in the end i want an all around clean track car/street car that also looks good

ill be sure to post pics when i get it on just for you
Old 06-01-09, 03:57 PM
7sins
Driver

HKS is badass, but what I meant is that it seems like you wanted the HKS belt more for the bling factor than anything else. Save your cash and get an OEM one
You have green neons on your car? LMAO
Can't wait to see those pics! Can you get a shot with the neons to?
Old 06-01-09, 04:05 PM
fjurado
Rookie

I would go with the hks or greddy timing belt. You pay more but it will last longer because it will no stretch as easy as a Oem belt. You wanna do it right the first time!!

If you use HKS or Greddy with a fixed up motor, imagine how long it will last if the belt isn't put under alot of stress!

Quick Reply: hks or oem timing belt