Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 04:10 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh

Has anyone have those days when you feel as if you got sabatoge? I just finished putting my 2jz swap in my sc only a month ago and just got it on the road last week, and just been tryign to figure out what i have this weird misfire feeling, kinda like a fuel cut..so i figure id pull the coils and plugs to test them. went on tis to check out the specs took my time, came outside put the plugs back in. bolted everythign down, wasnt missing any bolts nor had any extras. started the car back up... then i hear ping ping ping.... stall..... pull plugs out cylinder 5 ground was bent in... grab magnet threw it down the cylinder and pulled out a short stud standard thread stud with a nylon lock nut attached. it doesnt go to anything on the car no threads on a toyota product is standard wtf.. ok.. fearing the worse i crank the engine by hand and the engine turned then stopped, put agnent back inside and couldnt pull out this flat peice which resembles a valve..... before i could even start to diagnose my problem which i still have, i now have 10x bigger problem. shopkey say 12.4hrs job cuz of those twin turbos. how ****ty is that.. i swear someone just doesnt like me. i just wanted to share how my day went....
Old 05-29-09, 07:06 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Sorry to hear about that. Damn... So hope the cost is not the same as or more than just replacing the motor. Good Luck.
Old 05-29-09, 08:09 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

how did a nylock nut get into your engine? i'm confused... did it fall in when you pulled the coils and plugs?
Old 05-29-09, 09:49 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

when you pulled the plugs and coils did you leave the car by itself? I always try to prevent stuff like that from happening I.E. covering all holes and orfices whenever i leave the car behind. I learned this from an engine builder who had chips left over from a brake lathe poured into his engine when he left it for lunch.

when you say the magnet picked the valve up, do you mean that the valve is completely broken off? Also i would be worried about head damage. I've seen firsthand what a bolt in a cylinder can do. Hopefully the head is in good enough shape to be salvaged but if not, start looking for a new head...
Old 06-02-09, 08:56 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

Yea after i pulled the plugs out and came back a half hr later and put them back in and started the car is when i notice the noise.. well as soon as that happened i brought it to a friend garage and began ripping off the head off. I was not looking forward to it at all , it didnt look easy and it wasnt..
Update: i pulled the head off completely. couldnt take the heat sheild off the turbos cuz the abs was in the way. so i left them on and i left on the lower intake plenum.and pulled it up with out the cames in it. That sucker is heavy even with two people. Whats i found was two broken valves the faces were in cylinder 5. One exhaust, one intake valve. The piston has a few knicks in it but nothing i can see of cracking or severe damage.. WHEW...
On the head i see where the bolt hit, there atleast 3 nothces right on the edge of the valve seats on both valves. so i got to replace the 2 valaves and seats. So far im at $250 on after market parts. Everything is exspensive, so far list of parts ordered be here on the 5th: valve cover gasket,head gasket, head bolts, exhaust manifold gasket, 2 valves and 2 seats, valve stem seals. cam seals.
In the mean time im going to pull off the rest of the head apart. I figured i clean and grind all the valve seats. On a plus side, i can really tell how this engine has around 60k on it. all the pistons look decently clean all the cams bearings were good. I put some pictures up as soon as i can. I got to buy a new pair of gloves too, i ended up cutting my hand a lil while disconnecting turbos coolant hose or were ever those hoses went to underneathe the turbos and leaked in my cut, not a good feeling. I wish i was spending this money on tires , i wanted to put my 18's back on..
Old 06-02-09, 08:59 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

just a thought.. does the head on the GE engine have better flow? would be cheaper to swap it over from my old engine..? ill see if anyone else has done that.
Old 06-02-09, 10:56 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DKNY0331
just a thought.. does the head on the GE engine have better flow? would be cheaper to swap it over from my old engine..? ill see if anyone else has done that.
I've heard that the GE head flows better (but nobody has posted any flow charts to prove it). BUT! Your GTE manifolds won't bolt up to it
Old 06-02-09, 12:07 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DKNY0331
Yea after i pulled the plugs out and came back a half hr later and put them back in and started the car is when i notice the noise.. well as soon as that happened i brought it to a friend garage and began ripping off the head off. I was not looking forward to it at all , it didnt look easy and it wasnt..
Update: i pulled the head off completely. couldnt take the heat sheild off the turbos cuz the abs was in the way. so i left them on and i left on the lower intake plenum.and pulled it up with out the cames in it. That sucker is heavy even with two people. Whats i found was two broken valves the faces were in cylinder 5. One exhaust, one intake valve. The piston has a few knicks in it but nothing i can see of cracking or severe damage.. WHEW...
On the head i see where the bolt hit, there atleast 3 nothces right on the edge of the valve seats on both valves. so i got to replace the 2 valaves and seats. So far im at $250 on after market parts. Everything is exspensive, so far list of parts ordered be here on the 5th: valve cover gasket,head gasket, head bolts, exhaust manifold gasket, 2 valves and 2 seats, valve stem seals. cam seals.
In the mean time im going to pull off the rest of the head apart. I figured i clean and grind all the valve seats. On a plus side, i can really tell how this engine has around 60k on it. all the pistons look decently clean all the cams bearings were good. I put some pictures up as soon as i can. I got to buy a new pair of gloves too, i ended up cutting my hand a lil while disconnecting turbos coolant hose or were ever those hoses went to underneathe the turbos and leaked in my cut, not a good feeling. I wish i was spending this money on tires , i wanted to put my 18's back on..
You got really lucky that the head isn't damaged beyond repair. Count your lucky stars on this one and be careful next time. Not to get you paranoid, but don't trust anyone, and i mean anyone around your engine, especially when you put everything back together. That's just how i roll though...
Old 06-06-09, 05:14 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

well now i will be like that... so i got most of my parts in.. tomorro morning ill work on it all day, preety much freshing up the head, except with 2 new valves.. ... i think i lost one or 2 if it had more than one but does anyone know how many guide pins are soppose to be on a jdm gte head.. i got one by cylinder 6.. i could of dropped one.. and there none on the head.. atleast not anymore.
Old 06-11-09, 02:15 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

finally i got the pics
Attached Thumbnails Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh-valves.jpg   Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh-piston.jpg   Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh-broken-valves.jpg   Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh-2jzgte.jpg  
Old 06-12-09, 09:32 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch...that hurt
Old 06-19-09, 12:54 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

how do you remove the valve seats on a 2jzgte? do you have to heat the head and freeze the seat?
Old 08-16-09, 03:46 PM
DKNY0331
Driver

s00 2 months later i finally got my head done. i crashed my motorcycle last month and broke my arm so slow rebuild... had 4 new valves replaced, 4 valve seats, 2 guides. of corse replaced the stem seals, and lapped the valaves and shaved the head . total damage $384 for labor and close to $300 for parts and all the gaskets. i could of bought a set of 4 tires for my 18's . ill show a picture to see how it ended up looking like.. oh and never buy gaskets from felpro they say the ge and gte engine are the same from all the parts stores.. i found that out 4 times ... grr and this itme before i put on the head on the block im going to install that stupid heater hose off the head its sucks putting it on later.. why didnt toyota put a elbow on that jeez..
Old 08-17-09, 10:43 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

there are 2 guide pins on 2jzgte. you need them, dont loose them in your head.
Old 08-17-09, 12:42 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

there are 2 guide pins on 2jzgte. you need them, dont loose them in your head.

Quick Reply: Just one of those days..... ARRRRgh