Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much does it cost to fix an oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-09, 10:19 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much does it cost to fix an oil leak?

About 2 weeks ago I put 2 Quarts of Oil in my SC400 because the oil lamp light came on in the dash.... I realized though that I had probably over filled it by a quart and made my small oil leak that I had a lot worse. I never drive my SC400, it pretty much just sits in storage and I take it out once a week or so just to drive it a little bit. So I took my car out for a 2 mile drive today just to drive it around cause I haven't been driving it. and when I was done I went to check the dip-stick to see how much Oil I have in, I wiped the dip-stick dry, stuck it in, and took it out and NO OIL is on it at all. Not even a single drop. I'm not that knowledgeable in car maintenance which is why I am asking the SC400 community -- what should I do? I was thinking I just re-fill the Engine Oil with 1 Quart but then I just filled 2 Quarts 2 weeks ago and now the Dip-stick isn't showing anything, so that means all the oil has slowly but surely dripped all out. Any advice?

Last edited by acenase; 05-23-09 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-23-09, 11:26 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by acenase
About 2 weeks ago I put 2 Quarts of Oil in my SC400 because the oil lamp light came on in the dash.... I realized though that I had probably over filled it by a quart and made my small oil leak that I had a lot worse. I never drive my SC400, it pretty much just sits in storage and I take it out once a week or so just to drive it a little bit. So I took my car out for a 2 mile drive today just to drive it around cause I haven't been driving it. and when I was done I went to check the dip-stick to see how much Oil I have in, I wiped the dip-stick dry, stuck it in, and took it out and NO OIL is on it at all. Not even a single drop. I'm not that knowledgeable in car maintenance which is why I am asking the SC400 community -- what should I do? I was thinking I just re-fill the Engine Oil with 1 Quart but then I just filled 2 Quarts 2 weeks ago and now the Dip-stick isn't showing anything, so that means all the oil has slowly but surely dripped all out. Any advice?
First fill up the oil to the full mark
Second the cost to fix the oil leak depends on where it is. If its something like value cover or oil pan then you could fix it yourself, if its the rear main seal, well then its gonna lost a pretty penny.
Old 05-24-09, 12:30 AM
cactusmole
Driver School Candidate

I've been having the same problem. Did a oil change and about a week later I checked the oil and it was very low. There is no oil spots under the car nor can I find any visible leaks within the engine bay. I was thinking I cloud just be burning oil cuz of leaky value covers? But I haven't seen or smelled any oil burning.... X2!
Old 05-24-09, 01:15 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cactusmole
I've been having the same problem. Did a oil change and about a week later I checked the oil and it was very low. There is no oil spots under the car nor can I find any visible leaks within the engine bay. I was thinking I cloud just be burning oil cuz of leaky value covers? But I haven't seen or smelled any oil burning.... X2!
leaking valve covers won't burn off oil into the exhaust. I think what you meant to say was Valve seals. If that were the case then you would see blue smoke out the back. How much oil did you put in during the oil change?
Old 05-24-09, 01:05 PM
acenase
Pole Position

I never noticed any burning oil smell as well. When I checked my dipstick 2 weeks ago, the oil was all the way below MIN, so I poured in 2 quarts of oil in the engine and then the dipstick showed all the way to MAX. so I thought I was good. but now it doesn't even show any oil on the dipstick at all. and in those 2 weeks I only drove it 2-3 times.