Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery light on. Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 12:02 PM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light on. Need help please!

CALLING ALL TECH SUPPORT! I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH MY BATTERY LIGHT STAYING ON. IT ALL STARTED WHEN I TRIED TO CLEAN MY ENGINE BAY A BIT. EVERYTIME TIME I TRY TO CLEAN IT SOMETHING ALWAYS MESSES UP, BUT I CANT STAND A DIRTY ENGINE. I USED A WATER HOSE GUN TO CAREFULLY AIM AT ONLY PLASTICS BUT I STILL MANAGED TO SCREW SOMETHING UP. I HAVE CHECKED MY ALTERNATOR OUTPUT AND I AM GETTING 14.5V TO MY BATTERY, SO NO PROBLEMS THERE. I HAVE AN OPTIMA RED TOP BATTERY WHICH IS A REAL GOOD BATTERY BUT STILL NEEDED TO CHECK. NEXT I PERFORMED A PARASITIC DRAIN TEST AFTER LETTING MY CAR SIT OVERNIGHT TO LET THE COMPUTERS TURN OFF ALL FUNCTIONS. I HAD .0 MA DRAW WHICH IS PERFECT. MY BATTERY VOLTAGE WAS AT 12.3V AFTER LETTING IT SIT ALL NIGHT. SO BATTERY CHECKED OUT OK. DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE IT COULD BE. ANY INFO. WOULD REALLY HELP ME OUT.
Old 05-14-09, 07:35 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I dont know what to tell you..

#1 rule about an SC and the engine bay is:

Do Not:
~Pressure wash..
~Wash with your mom's garden hose..
~Dump a bucket of water..

..or anything of that nature in the engine bay. The only times that light will come on is if your alternator is failing or if your battery is failing. But since you checked both out and they tested good I don't know what else to tell you but to get a second opinion and have both tested at your local auto parts retailer.
Old 05-15-09, 09:40 AM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

Ok i made a trip to my local autozone today to get my battery and alternator checked out. They load tested my battery and checked my alternator output. Everything checked out ok as suspected. Im thinkin it possibly has something to do with like a voltage sensor that monitors the charging system for the computer, or something of that nature. Because if my cars runs perfect and my battery light is still on, it has to be a sensor error. I really need to get my hands on a wiring diagram for my charging system. Does anybody have access to wiring diagrams for a '92 sc charging system? Thanks in advance cl members!

Last edited by MR.LEXO; 05-15-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 12:44 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

grab a pair of jumper cables to make sure its not in the wireing. put one jumper cable on the batt. terminal in the alternator to positive battery post. put the other jumper cable on the negative battery terminal to a good ground(motor/a part of the chassis with no paint). if your battery light goes away problem solved. remove one cable to narrow it down. GL
if that doesnt work grab sandpaper and clean the battery terminals and tighten them down good.
Old 05-15-09, 01:49 PM
fjurado
Rookie

Go for a drive..............light is on................give the car some speed and see if it turns off. If it turns off, it is your alternator!!
Old 05-15-09, 03:31 PM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topdog849
grab a pair of jumper cables to make sure its not in the wireing. Put one jumper cable on the batt. Terminal in the alternator to positive battery post. Put the other jumper cable on the negative battery terminal to a good ground(motor/a part of the chassis with no paint). If your battery light goes away problem solved. Remove one cable to narrow it down. Gl
If that doesnt work grab sandpaper and clean the battery terminals and tighten them down good.
ok, i know it isnt my wiring because i have close to source voltage at the solenoid. I have no corosion at all on any of the connections. I still think it may be a sensor error of some sort. Thanks tho!
Old 05-15-09, 03:35 PM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fjurado
go for a drive..............light is on................give the car some speed and see if it turns off. If it turns off, it is your alternator!!
nope, try again. Like i stated, the battery and alternator are fine. I have 14.5 volts to the battery. My charging system seems fine, but my light is still on. Thanks for da help anyways!
Old 05-15-09, 04:26 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

is your battery light flashing or constantly on?
Old 05-15-09, 09:14 PM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=topdog849;4525930]is your battery light flashing or constantly on?[/QUOTE

IT IS CONSTANTLY ON. FROM STARTUP TO WHENEVER I TURN THE KEY OFF. IM AT MY WITS END. WITHOUT A WIRING DIAGRAM I CANT DO ANYTHING. ANY IDEAS? OR EVEN BETTER, ANY WIRING DIAGRAMS FOR MY CHARGING SYSTEM?
Old 05-16-09, 10:21 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

i believe its your voltage regulator
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/alternator/alt.jpg
buy a new alternator from advance and if that doesnt fixit just return it. i bet youve got abunch of oil ontop your alternator. pm me if you need help with removing/installing it. if you still need a diagram i have one somewhere, ill upload it when i find it.

Last edited by topdog849; 05-16-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-17-09, 11:29 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

or it could be a bad wire to your bulb. i belive when the voltage is applied to both sides of the batt bulb the light goes out, so when theres no volatge comeing ot it it will stay on could be wrong.. so maybe your alt fine and the wire to your bulb is bad . i dont think its very likely but you did say your alt was tested good. . i had a problem of oil dripping out of my distributor on to that shiny steel splash guard for the distributor. is been dripping on my alt for months and one day my batt light goes on.. i took brakes parts cleaner and put a bucket underneathe of the car and spray and sparyed the sucker. so much dirt and oil came out of it .. started the car up the light went off. try that? i think thats a common problem
Old 05-17-09, 03:48 PM
MR.LEXO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dkny0331
or it could be a bad wire to your bulb. I belive when the voltage is applied to both sides of the batt bulb the light goes out, so when theres no volatge comeing ot it it will stay on could be wrong.. So maybe your alt fine and the wire to your bulb is bad . I dont think its very likely but you did say your alt was tested good. . I had a problem of oil dripping out of my distributor on to that shiny steel splash guard for the distributor. Is been dripping on my alt for months and one day my batt light goes on.. I took brakes parts cleaner and put a bucket underneathe of the car and spray and sparyed the sucker. So much dirt and oil came out of it .. Started the car up the light went off. Try that? I think thats a common problem
i think that is possible. I just got my alternators voltage regulator tested today and it was fine. Do you happen to know which wire to ohm out to check for a short? I just bought a repair manual for my car and ill find out sooner than later. Thanks for da help cl member.
Old 05-19-09, 04:48 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

i hope this helps, i know how frustrating electrical problems can be.

Last edited by topdog849; 05-19-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 06:38 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I incorparate a light in my alt. test plugs when I bench test alts., dont know if Autozone does or not. The alt. can still check good but not turn a dash light off. In that case you would need a rebuilt alt.