Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 oil filter help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 09:58 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 oil filter help

So the first time i had to change my 400s oil was a nightmare, cant even remember how i did it. Well this is round 2 and its worse then before. Lets see the oil filter has tubes running in front of it and below it so getting any kind of twisting motion is impossible because you run into the tubes. I've been trying to remove it for the lsst 5 hrs and now my filter is half crushed It just wont come off. I'm twisting it counterclockwise is that correct? Am i missing some kind of secret? Cuz this is insanely hard.
Old 05-14-09, 10:47 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You seem to be suffering where others are not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-a-breeze.html
Old 05-14-09, 10:49 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It shouldnt be that hard man. I am sorry for all the mass nightmare you have had. The 2 lines that are in your way is going to the bottom of the radiator, I believe? Mine move alittle, enough to clear my hands to get in. I had to cut a larger piece in the plastic shroud, first, to get a pair channel locks around the filter, but never had a problem like you are having. I would say take your time, but it seems you accomplished this hours ago. :-) If you have destroyed your filter, try prying a flat head screwdriver through the whole filter, as close to the base of the filter, as you can, this is to assure the strongest part of the filter, and turn it slowly counterclockwise. The base part is where it mounts to the car. But be careful when you do! Thats all I know what to do. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-14-09, 12:39 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

I've owned a lot of vehicles over the last 25 years and the SC400 is the easiest of them all.

All you have to do is raise the car and remove the plastic shield.
Old 05-14-09, 02:28 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

You think this is hard, just change one on a highlander. You'll wanna kill yourself from the number of burns on your arms from the exhaust manifold
Old 05-15-09, 04:16 PM
Ryeno
Banned

So i finally did it, i had to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Then remove a few screws to remove that shroud. After that i used one of those strap oil filter wrenchs. But even then it was "that" easy, its not 2jz-ge or even 5s-fe easy. You still have you wiggle it in the right position because of those pipes. Plus after like 1/6th turn you need reposition the wrench since the pipes block you and the wrench doesnt racket. Also now i know you have to remove the oil filter at the base since the rest of it is hollow and crushible.

Here is a pic of my old oil filter.
Old 05-15-09, 04:41 PM
Chadricco
Driver School Candidate

Default monkey nuts

Originally Posted by Durrr
You think this is hard, just change one on a highlander. You'll wanna kill yourself from the number of burns on your arms from the exhaust manifold
Ever changed the filter on a Lincoln Mark VIII? LOL Its really not too hard to reach, BUT once its off, the fun begins! Its like the tale of the jar/nut monkey trap.
1) place nut in narrow-mouth jar
2) monkey grabs nut
3) monkey cannot get hand out, but won't let go of nut!

You are the monkey, filter is the nut covered in burning-hot motor oil.
Old 05-15-09, 05:58 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
You seem to be suffering where others are not.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-a-breeze.html
Old 05-15-09, 07:30 PM
lexdud
Pole Position

Congrats ...

I still don't understand why you had to remove the wheel. The hardest part of the SC400 oil change (for me) is not spilling oil on the valve covers after all the "hard" stuff is done.
Old 05-15-09, 08:00 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by lexdud
Congrats ...

I still don't understand why you had to remove the wheel. The hardest part of the SC400 oil change (for me) is not spilling oil on the valve covers after all the "hard" stuff is done.
to get more leverage on the fuel filter. Once i got underneath the car it took me a few min to remove the filter. For the top i wasted a few hours. Maybe my 400 is special but there are a ton of obsturctions. Pipes infront of the filter, more pipes underneath it and this metal bar between the filter and the radiator.
Old 05-15-09, 10:07 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Newbs haha. 858 posts and this is the second time you have changed your oil by yourself you serious? Sound's like your a forum junky to me lol. Try a IS300,GS300,second gen ES,GX470,or LX570 then come talk to me about how hard it was. Its the best on 300's when the intake is hot too. There is really only 2 screws your supposed to remove pull the plastic back and pull the filter off. Oil pliers are very helpful if someone used vise grips to put the filter back on. Jack the drivers side of the car up 14MM wrench drain oil and then remove filter. Easy breezy.
Old 05-16-09, 08:57 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
Newbs haha. 858 posts and this is the second time you have changed your oil by yourself you serious? Sound's like your a forum junky to me lol. Try a IS300,GS300,second gen ES,GX470,or LX570 then come talk to me about how hard it was. Its the best on 300's when the intake is hot too. There is really only 2 screws your supposed to remove pull the plastic back and pull the filter off. Oil pliers are very helpful if someone used vise grips to put the filter back on. Jack the drivers side of the car up 14MM wrench drain oil and then remove filter. Easy breezy.
When you make jackass statements like that your just asking for someone to prove you wrong.

If you read post more carefully you would have realize this is the 2nd time i changed the oil on the sc400.

Then if you read my other post you would have seen me mention the 400 isnt as easy as a 5s-fe or a 2jz-ge. Which implies i have worked on other cars.

And no their arent 2 screws to remove the plastic. You need to remove atleast 3 on the side and a few more on the back. But then again my plastic is ripped in the back so didnt count how many i needed to remove their.

So no 1uz-fe not easy as breeze. 5s-fe now thats easy.
Old 05-16-09, 10:02 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN

Was this really necessary? The guy's already been through a tough time ... and now you heap more on him.

OP, can you post some pics of the underside of your engine so we can check if your car is different?
Old 05-16-09, 11:22 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil Filter

Originally Posted by Ryeno
So the first time i had to change my 400s oil was a nightmare, cant even remember how i did it. Well this is round 2 and its worse then before. Lets see the oil filter has tubes running in front of it and below it so getting any kind of twisting motion is impossible because you run into the tubes. I've been trying to remove it for the lsst 5 hrs and now my filter is half crushed It just wont come off. I'm twisting it counterclockwise is that correct? Am i missing some kind of secret? Cuz this is insanely hard.
Ryeno, Last time you changed the oil filter, did you wipe a small amount of motor oil onto the rubber gasket of the new oil filter? This might be your problem with the filter sticking making it difficult to twist off. Here is a top view picture of my oil filter on my 95' 400, does your engine view look like mine?

Old 05-16-09, 11:29 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Your one is a lot easier to work on then mine. You see those pipes infront of your filter? Mine are touching the filter.

Quick Reply: sc400 oil filter help