Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OD light flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 08:29 PM
blacice83
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OD light flashing!

This forum is sort of hard to shift thru for answers! And ive been looking for a while. I just came across this problem with my 300 with the over drive light flashing when i drive it after about 30 mins. Normally i just cut the OD off and drive with it off until i feel like the car needs it on an incline or something. Does anyone know what it is or what i can do to solve this problem before my tranny gives out?
Old 05-01-09, 12:03 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

I think the O/D light flashing means it's throwing some kind of code. I think depending on what the pattern of flashing indicates what the code is.

How is it flashing? I can see if I can look up the code for you. (for example: flash-flash-pause-flash-flash.....)
Old 05-01-09, 06:17 AM
blacice83
Rookie

Its just a constant flash.. first it will start off as flash....pause......flash.......pause. and then once i come to a stop and start driving again it goes to a flash....flash.....flash and doesnt stop until i turn the OD off.
Old 05-01-09, 06:47 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

i been having this problem and my car runs like ****... and still cant figure it out yet!
Old 05-01-09, 01:40 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm... well here is the diagnostic chart for the o/d light flashing.
Attached Thumbnails OD light flashing!-diag1.jpg  
Old 05-01-09, 10:47 PM
blacice83
Rookie

Yeah my car is running like crap to. Normally what i do is shift down to 1 and shft up as if i have a manual and it works fine. but i really dont want to mess anything up over time. thanks for the diagram! im going back to my car next weekend and i will check and count how many times it blanks according to this chart. Right now i have no idea what im suppose to do even lookin at the chart and know how the lights blank. hopefully some one will post somwthing before then. Definitly will post once i get the data!
Old 05-01-09, 10:58 PM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

I've had my sc300 for about two months now as well and also I have been experiencing this problem from i have owned the car. Does anyone here experience this when driving my car I press the gas while driving to accelerate and then there is weird pause and then it jerks then accelerates faster...
Old 05-02-09, 03:08 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacice83
Yeah my car is running like crap to. Normally what i do is shift down to 1 and shft up as if i have a manual and it works fine. but i really dont want to mess anything up over time. thanks for the diagram! im going back to my car next weekend and i will check and count how many times it blanks according to this chart. Right now i have no idea what im suppose to do even lookin at the chart and know how the lights blank. hopefully some one will post somwthing before then. Definitly will post once i get the data!
Well, glad I could help you.

Originally Posted by Anthony85
I've had my sc300 for about two months now as well and also I have been experiencing this problem from i have owned the car. Does anyone here experience this when driving my car I press the gas while driving to accelerate and then there is weird pause and then it jerks then accelerates faster...
Mmmm sounds like your maf sensor is being deceptive to your ecu. Or even simpler, dirty air filter?
Old 05-02-09, 06:39 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Thanks a lot man. I have been meaning to take out the maf and clean it thoroughly. Then service the filter. I thought it could have something to do with the speed sensor because my speedometer does not work at all.... Appreciate it.
Old 10-31-09, 01:35 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to bump up this thread...But my SC300 recently started going through this same problem...As soon as I see what the flashing pattern is, I may be able to tell what kind of code the computer is throwing out...Funny thing is, The "O/D off" indicator didn't start flashing until I messed with the dash cluster dimmer thingy...And from what I can tell the car doesn't drive like crap and seems to shift smoothly. Another problem popping up.
Old 11-01-09, 12:17 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Personal update on my situation...The O/D off indicator light comes and goes as it pleases at random and has a distinct "Flash,pause,flash,pause,etc..." pattern...But the car shifts into overdrive just fine,There's a notable change in rpms when I switch the O/D button between on/off and the car shifts smoothly between gears and doesn't drive like crap. I will check the fluid levels and look for any loose wires in the immediate future.
Old 11-01-09, 04:39 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Jumper the TE1 and E1 with a paper clip in your diagnostic port. Then turn your ignition to ON and count the flashes. A pause separates the first and second digit. If the pattern repeats it is just one two digit code. If there are others write them all down. Then use the service manual chart to drill down what it is. If it's code 42, let me know. There may be nothing wrong with the tranny.
Old 11-01-09, 06:28 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

OD doesnt flash when it throwing a code, the check engine light is for that. That was a very hard problem for me to diagnose but i did eventually. I can almost bet that ur ECU is receiving "vehicle speed" which is related to the VSS "Vehicle Speed Sensor"...for some reason after swaps, this happens to alot of us and for some odd reason, the VSS take a VERY long time to throw a code...some of the sympton is OD light flahsing, false redline at 4500-5500 even if u have a Greddy BCC, engine misfire, generally, shifting issies, generally, the car runs like ****. Good news is that there is a very simple fix to this.

Remove ur cluster, locate the wires going to the Odometer...cut Pink/Peach colored wire in half with some slack. Then locate a wire that is half blue and half red (should be right next to the pink one somewhere)...cut that in half. Then take the Input side of the pinkish/peach wire and wire it directly onto the Input side of the blue/red wire. Then take the Output side of the blue/red wire and wire that onto the 2 wires you connected...solder, heatshrink, blacktape that ***** and enjoy. What this does is bypass the OD to the from the cluster and straight to the ECU...ur car is running like **** right now bc the ECU is now receiving engine speed. I can almost garuntee it that this is ur problem. This will happen even if ur tach is not working.

Zeeshaun

Last edited by jdmJZA70; 11-01-09 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 09:27 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
OD doesnt flash when it throwing a code, the check engine light is for that. That was a very hard problem for me to diagnose but i did eventually. I can almost bet that ur ECU is receiving "vehicle speed" which is related to the VSS "Vehicle Speed Sensor"...for some reason after swaps, this happens to alot of us and for some odd reason, the VSS take a VERY long time to throw a code...some of the sympton is OD light flahsing, false redline at 4500-5500 even if u have a Greddy BCC, engine misfire, generally, shifting issies, generally, the car runs like ****. Good news is that there is a very simple fix to this.

Remove ur cluster, locate the wires going to the Odometer...cut Pink/Peach colored wire in half with some slack. Then locate a wire that is half blue and half red (should be right next to the pink one somewhere)...cut that in half. Then take the Input side of the pinkish/peach wire and wire it directly onto the Input side of the blue/red wire. Then take the Output side of the blue/red wire and wire that onto the 2 wires you connected...solder, heatshrink, blacktape that ***** and enjoy. What this does is bypass the OD to the from the cluster and straight to the ECU...ur car is running like **** right now bc the ECU is now receiving engine speed. I can almost garuntee it that this is ur problem. This will happen even if ur tach is not working.

Zeeshaun

Good input and I have been looking for a confirmation of this for a LONG time. I know it works with the MKIV, I just couldn't get anyone to confirm the same cold solder issue with the SC300. I have had the code 42 ever since I did my swap. I was alluding to that in my above post, but didn't know if the red/blue wire was existent in the SC. I will be doing this asap. I do have O/D flashing/minor shift issues and a false redline.
Old 12-11-09, 03:12 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

I'm convinced that the problem on my SC is definitely the speed sensor! or something electrical. The car shifts gears just fine, O/D can engage on/off when I want it to and the car does not drive like crap. Fluid levels are fine and the tranny fluid is still somewhat red. The damn blinking O/D only tends to rear it's ugly head when I drive out in the streets and it never rears it's ugly head when I'm on the freeways...and being that it never blinks on the freeway runs, the possibility of the transmission overheating is out of the question...also, I drove the car for 30 minutes out in the streets and the stupid light didn't come on...stupid VSS.

Quick Reply: OD light flashing!