Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OD light flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 12:57 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
I'm convinced that the problem on my SC is definitely the speed sensor! or something electrical. The car shifts gears just fine, O/D can engage on/off when I want it to and the car does not drive like crap. Fluid levels are fine and the tranny fluid is still somewhat red. The damn blinking O/D only tends to rear it's ugly head when I drive out in the streets and it never rears it's ugly head when I'm on the freeways...and being that it never blinks on the freeway runs, the possibility of the transmission overheating is out of the question...also, I drove the car for 30 minutes out in the streets and the stupid light didn't come on...stupid VSS.
Update! It's been confirmed that my problem is indeed a speed sensor malfunction! Problem is, the Lexus SC's have 2 speed sensors...All I know is that the code that's being thrown out is a "code 61" anyone know which sensor that might be?
Old 02-13-11, 07:47 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
OD doesnt flash when it throwing a code, the check engine light is for that. That was a very hard problem for me to diagnose but i did eventually. I can almost bet that ur ECU is receiving "vehicle speed" which is related to the VSS "Vehicle Speed Sensor"...for some reason after swaps, this happens to alot of us and for some odd reason, the VSS take a VERY long time to throw a code...some of the sympton is OD light flahsing, false redline at 4500-5500 even if u have a Greddy BCC, engine misfire, generally, shifting issies, generally, the car runs like ****. Good news is that there is a very simple fix to this.

Remove ur cluster, locate the wires going to the Odometer...cut Pink/Peach colored wire in half with some slack. Then locate a wire that is half blue and half red (should be right next to the pink one somewhere)...cut that in half. Then take the Input side of the pinkish/peach wire and wire it directly onto the Input side of the blue/red wire. Then take the Output side of the blue/red wire and wire that onto the 2 wires you connected...solder, heatshrink, blacktape that ***** and enjoy. What this does is bypass the OD to the from the cluster and straight to the ECU...ur car is running like **** right now bc the ECU is now receiving engine speed. I can almost garuntee it that this is ur problem. This will happen even if ur tach is not working.

Zeeshaun
Sorry to bump this super old thread, but if I found it through searching.

My car is doing this same game where it will flash its O/D light at me if OD is engaged. Oddly though if I start the car with power mode on it wont flash its light at me for about 5 or so minutes. Would over riding the VSS cure this? The car runs and drives fine. Seems to shift fine but doesnt get into high rpm's when floored, around 5k or so. Its a 1j motorset also, and just got a new transmission put in from another 1jz.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-11, 03:38 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this flashing O/D light in a Mazda 626 and after 200miles driving it, the trans start slipping and then blow out. Be sure to check your autotrans first!
Old 07-13-12, 06:53 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Picture of what jdmJZA70 said

Name:  Vssjumperwiring.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  30.9 KB

EDIT:
just kidding. i went in search of the wire today.. couldnt find it

Last edited by bryan767; 07-13-12 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-20-13, 06:30 PM
bmsc300
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
OD doesnt flash when it throwing a code, the check engine light is for that. That was a very hard problem for me to diagnose but i did eventually. I can almost bet that ur ECU is receiving "vehicle speed" which is related to the VSS "Vehicle Speed Sensor"...for some reason after swaps, this happens to alot of us and for some odd reason, the VSS take a VERY long time to throw a code...some of the sympton is OD light flahsing, false redline at 4500-5500 even if u have a Greddy BCC, engine misfire, generally, shifting issies, generally, the car runs like ****. Good news is that there is a very simple fix to this.

Remove ur cluster, locate the wires going to the Odometer...cut Pink/Peach colored wire in half with some slack. Then locate a wire that is half blue and half red (should be right next to the pink one somewhere)...cut that in half. Then take the Input side of the pinkish/peach wire and wire it directly onto the Input side of the blue/red wire. Then take the Output side of the blue/red wire and wire that onto the 2 wires you connected...solder, heatshrink, blacktape that ***** and enjoy. What this does is bypass the OD to the from the cluster and straight to the ECU...ur car is running like **** right now bc the ECU is now receiving engine speed. I can almost garuntee it that this is ur problem. This will happen even if ur tach is not working.

Zeeshaun
I followed these instructions just now to clear my code 42.
I'm still throwing code 42 after taking it for a test drive.
Didn't work.
Old 10-21-13, 01:07 AM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

Any updates on this. Mine does the same thing after I swapped in my auto for a r154