Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing spark plugs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-09, 09:14 AM
Harpo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing spark plugs...

I thought I'd do a quick plug change on my 97 SC300... Surprise, there's a lot of stuff in the way!

I'm assuming it's necessary to remove the throttle body - is there anything special to look out for, or any tricks to the job? How long did it take you?

Thanks,
Harpo
Old 04-25-09, 10:17 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on here for replacing spark plugs and you will fine a ton of great info. I did this over the summer along with my VCG's and honestly it really was not bad at all. You will have to remove the throttle body and I also removed the Intake manifold as well due to the fact that I was replacing the gaskets. Removing the intake Manifold is easy, but the right corner bolt is a PIA you will need to get along extension to get at it.

I personally removed the EGR system, but I have read some people did it without removing it. You will only need to remove the EGR and Manifold if you are going to change the VCG's, which I recommend since you are already in there.

It took me about 8 hours because I cleaned everything, but without cleaning around 3 hours or so.

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 04-25-09 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-25-09, 05:08 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time i did it it took me 2 days...today i can get it done in two hours

you really don't have to remove the upper intake (i didn't). The biggest part is removing the TB. To do that after getting rid of all the intake hoses, vacuum lines, upper TB coolant hose, and connectors for TPS and IAC, there should be 4 nuts underneath the throttle body (above the ex. manifold). Remove that along with the bracket. Next there should be two bolts on the top of the TB. Remove those (should be really long). Next There should be 2 studs with torx heads on them. I found it easier to remove these studs either with a special torx socket or with some pliers (i used pliers, being really careful not to damage the threads). Then you can lift up the TB out of the way. There should be a hose on the bottom, this is the lower TB coolant hose. i dont remove it unless i need to get other stuff done. If you do remove it, watch out for a little coolant to drip out.

This is all i remember off the top of my head, if i missed anything, let me know.