Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

water / meth injection on supercharged v8 - coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 05:10 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have listed several reasons why one would want to inject pre compressor. Go to this link and do some research http://www.waterinjection.info/ In the "gasoline forced-induction" section there is a sticky on the top with a wealth of info on pre compressor injector. If you (no one specific) don't want to take the time to read some info then please don't tell me it's not a good idea based on your (again, no one specific) pre concieved ideas.

Not to mention that pre-compressor injection is nothing new. It has been done on everything from military aircraft to F1 cars. Again, do some research, it's not hard.

KC

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-23-09 at 06:06 PM. Reason: thread clean up
Old 04-22-09, 06:40 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400

I have listed several reasons why one would want to inject pre compressor. Go to this link and do some research http://www.waterinjection.info/ In the "gasoline forced-induction" section there is a sticky on the top with a wealth of info on pre compressor injector. If you (no one specific) don't want to take the time to read some info then please don't tell me it's not a good idea based on your (again, no one specific) pre concieved ideas.

Not to mention that pre-compressor injection is nothing new. It has been done on everything from military aircraft to F1 cars. Again, do some research, it's not hard.

KC
I think 2.5t was agreeing with me, just a bit more.... stern . I'm just trying to help. I think I told you in your build thread months ago you may want to look at meth in the future, lol. I think it's a great route. We're saying just be careful if you spray precompressor. F1 Cars and military aircraft aren't exactly inline 6 turbocharged cars. Theory and application are different, alot of people tend to forget that. I would bet anything that if you asked a military engineer if it would be practical in your case, he would probably say no. The reasons for them doing it are situations that I highly doubt you will ever see. If it was a straight drag car, I would understand the minimal benefit for doing it, but for a DD, impractical for the risks you might run into. If you're dead set on it, make an experiment out of it. Dyno it with and without, see what the real benefit is. Also check your I/C piping after you have run it several times. My biggest concern is if it finds it way into your cartridge, it's gonna F up those gears faster than anything. If you tune it and have 0 problems and it does give you some serious gain and advantages, go for it man. We're just saying it isn't practical DD situations like you'll be using. You're getting advice from people that know the ropes of this stuff and are just trying to help you out when you have to start sifting through the B.S. when others that post are posting up opinions, not really speaking from experience or any real knowledge of using it. Either way good luck.

*Edit, just so you know, I know that site pretty well, same as the Devils Own forum. Something you might want to notice. All of that that people are saying, is very stretched theory. It's never backed from what I saw, and what they are relating it to is apples to oranges.

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-23-09 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-22-09, 07:29 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

As far as the pre injection, I am pretty much set on at least trying it. There are actually quite a few cases of proven benefits. I posted this link back a few - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t26613...-injection.htm This is one example with quite a few dyno graphs to back it up. As far as the negatives, there is less proof of them. Most of the info I have found talking about blade errosion and such are said, by the poster, to be inconclusive. You also need to keep in mind that most people that have done it have been with turbo. A turbo spins MUCH faster than my Vortech which maxes at about 45,000 rpm if I remember my calculations when sizing my pulley. Less speed = less impact.

BTW, my engine is not exactlly a turbocharged inline six either.

KC

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-23-09 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 12:07 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

As far as the pre injection, I am pretty much set on at least trying it. There are actually quite a few cases of proven benefits. I posted this link back a few - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t26613...-injection.htm This is one example with quite a few dyno graphs to back it up. As far as the negatives, there is less proof of them. Most of the info I have found talking about blade errosion and such are said, by the poster, to be inconclusive. You also need to keep in mind that most people that have done it have been with turbo. A turbo spins MUCH faster than my Vortech which maxes at about 45,000 rpm if I remember my calculations when sizing my pulley. Less speed = less impact.

BTW, my engine is not exactlly a turbocharged inline six either.

KC
Haha truth, but it's not exactly F1 material either. I would not be worried about blade erosion, I would be worried about it finding it's way inside the S/C itself and ruining the oil and trashing it eventually. I don't k now maybe/maybe not. The whole "moving the compressor map to the left" stuff is just.... yeah... I don't know about that lol. The reason for this claim that none of them really explained properly is that the "theory" is the mist will absorb some of the heat and energy as the air is compressed and lower the air charge. So lower the temps at the wheel and then again before the TB. IDK seems like it's pushing that fine line of what works and what you think will work, but after you do all the tests and such it's not worth it. Would definately be interested in the results. Do it and post em up!

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-23-09 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 06:02 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...injection.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=267257

The supra link is good

My bottle & pump placement.

Single nozzle. Turbo app. I know your talking about Supercharged.

BTW if you get rid of your IC all together you will rely 100% on the bottle. It will run out on you. Something to keep in mind.
Old 04-23-09, 07:28 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2jzlex

I vote get rid of the intercooler, inject after the SC and tap the stock washer fluid reservoir.

Just to throw out a picture of my old setup

Old 04-23-09, 07:44 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Wow you even had the piping made... you were actually going to do it... haha.
Old 04-23-09, 08:00 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Wow you even had the piping made... you were actually going to do it... haha.
Hell ya dude! Two M10 nozzles.

If anyone is wondering why I ditched that setup, there's really no point in not running an intercooler when you're running 20+psi on turbo.
Old 04-23-09, 08:28 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Yah and you tapped the pipe like newb too..
Old 04-23-09, 04:54 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

LexusFTW, I'm a V8 guy of course but damn, I like that setup!

I still haven't decided if I'm going through the engine bay, what kind of temps are / were you seeing. Boosting and normal driving? You say "old" setup, what's the new one?

-----------------------------

Got my kit today, I'll try and take some pics a little later. Won't attempt and install untill Saturday night most likely.

KC
Old 04-23-09, 05:47 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

KC, I am locking this thread while I clean it up. Guys, I really get tired of spending my time doing this. Grow up!

I will unlock thread once I am done and then it better stay on topic or I will break out the infractions.

Edit
OK thread is unlocked now. Please try and be nice to each other.

KC,
I to am looking at water/meth injection, I have a couple setups setting in the shop, will be really interested in your results!

Last edited by ScottURnot; 04-23-09 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 07:06 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Scott, thanks.

Do you plan on injecting pre throttle body or doing some sort of direct port setup after the whipple?

KC
Old 04-23-09, 07:15 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Scott, thanks.

Do you plan on injecting pre throttle body or doing some sort of direct port setup after the whipple?

KC
I am thinking after my TB before the supercharger, my set up really has no place to do it on the intake unless I did 8 small mist nozzles. To much trouble. John crib dumped his right in the supercharger inlet if I remember right.
Old 04-24-09, 07:41 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

don't use water on the compressors

"why do you think they use water in the cutting of CAD Designs"

Spray the water in the turbo side of the intercooler inlet. which also eliminates the use of NOS, Cry02 intercooler spray etc
Attached Thumbnails water / meth injection on supercharged v8 - coming soon-intercooler-copy.jpg  
Old 04-25-09, 09:32 AM
spin all 4
Driver School Candidate

If you're dead set on going no I/C, you should make sure you kit has some way to tell you there's no flow (I know aquamist makes a sensor for this). Even a simple LED to tell you there's flow at the jet would work. That way you can get off of the throttle if for some reason it's not working. May want to also thing about having a tank with a float in it so you know when you're running low on water/meth.

Last edited by spin all 4; 04-26-09 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: water / meth injection on supercharged v8 - coming soon