Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 10:28 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop

Alright, i have been battling with my wheel hop for some time now and it hasn't gone away yet.

The first step i took was machining some delrin ear mounts for the differential and that did help, but it was still there. When i would launch the car at the strip my friend said he could see my wheel moving back and forth.... not good. It also sounded terrible from inside the car.

The second step i just did was replace most of the rear bushings. I replaced everything except the upper ones (i have them sitting here). And now i dont get any hop in second, but first is still pretty bad. Its to the point where my shifter actually rocks side to side violently.

So does anybody have any suggestions? I have new engine mounts and tranny mount as well. I was thinking about buying some Ikeya traction rods with a combination of fitting on a torque damper (the shifter does rock when i just rev the motor). Or i was going to take out the subframe and machine all new bushings and hope that does the trick.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-16-09, 01:18 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know that I can be much help but I'm curious as to what car / power level you're talking about?

I've never had any wheel hop problems. Have new engine mounts, trans mount and new rear diff cushion mounts (not the ears). Also have Supra turbo struts with swift springs.

Titian makes solid diff ear and cushion mounts along with solid subframe mounts I think.

KC
Old 04-16-09, 02:39 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No wheel hop for me at all..

I replaced all the bushings with prothane, front subframe spacers/collars, solid rear diff mounts, solid rear subframe mount, front diff spacers/collars.
Old 04-16-09, 02:48 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have pretty much the same setup as Biggu. solid diff mounts and all prothane bushings for all control arms. no problems. my car is stock power level sc300 5spd.

look into tension rods and toe rods for the rear.
Old 04-16-09, 04:16 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

All of you, including xirforever, are running with manuals correct? Do any or all of you have LSD?

Like I said before, I haven't had any problems with the auto / LSD combo, even with about twice stock rwhp. The only thing I've replaced in the rear are the diff cushion mounts. I've thought about going with solid mounts but haven't really had the need.

KC
Old 04-16-09, 04:27 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have slight wheel hop with my 5sp swap if I "dump" the clutch anything over 2500rpms. Everything is stock though in the rear... no LSD.

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 04-16-09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 11:21 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Kaaz 2way LSD in my SC,
Old 04-17-09, 12:20 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest Battle-Version traction rods.*
Old 04-17-09, 04:15 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Mine didnt wheel hop, I dont know why.
Old 04-18-09, 12:02 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

My car is making right at 600whp on pump gas, and I had it pretty bad. I put some diff ear mounts in, and that seems to have gotten rid of it. If you have coilovers, you can tighten it up some and that might help a bit too. Also, the tires you're using at the strip might not be helping much, especially if they're a radials (even drag radials). You might wanna try using a slick.
Old 04-18-09, 12:06 AM
dohc3ltt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Biggu

No wheel hop for me at all..

I replaced all the bushings with prothane, front subframe spacers/collars, solid rear diff mounts, solid rear subframe mount, front diff spacers/collars.
Where did you get the solid rear subframe mounts? are those welded in (like the titan ones?)
Old 04-18-09, 07:50 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

well thanks for everyone that posted, i think im going to take a look at those subframe mounts, they are probably pretty soft from lexus and with my suspension they have probably worn out.

Forgot to include my relevant specs, they might help, lol.
SC400, getrag 6-speed, supra LSD, daizen rear control arm bushings, solid diff ear mount, and FLT-A2 suspension

yeah biggu where did you get your diff mounts from?
Old 04-18-09, 08:02 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dohc3ltt
Where did you get the solid rear subframe mounts? are those welded in (like the titan ones?)
Originally Posted by xirforever
well thanks for everyone that posted, i think im going to take a look at those subframe mounts, they are probably pretty soft from lexus and with my suspension they have probably worn out.

Forgot to include my relevant specs, they might help, lol.
SC400, getrag 6-speed, supra LSD, daizen rear control arm bushings, solid diff ear mount, and FLT-A2 suspension

yeah biggu where did you get your diff mounts from?
the rear diff mounts he had made., they are aluminum and are press-fit. the front ear mounts are from Powered-by-max.

i made my own rear diff mounts. started with a 1" steel plate. after waterjet and slight turn on the lathe they were perfect. i welded mine in.

if you want to launch at the strip you actually want to make your rear really soft and NOT stiffer like suggested above. you want weight transfer from front to rear. you wont have any if your suspension is as solid as a rock.

hks actually has different versions of the hypermax coilovers. one was for street/roadrace and one for drag racing. the drag coilovers were pillow soft compared to standard ones.

also if you plan to do a lot of burnout/drag arcing/w.e. get a solid driveshaft donut. get rid of the rubber isolator.

titan sells those too.
Old 04-19-09, 01:51 AM
xirforever
Lead Lap

yeah its not going to be set up for the drag stip, but id like to take it there occasionally with as little wheel hop as possible. I do turn the setting to softest but not really sure with springs as stiff as mine if it will do much, can't hurt at least. Also, i have a one-piece aluminum driveshaft, no rubbing donuts for me.

anybody want to share the dimensions for the rear diff mounts? I can share my dimensions for my ear mounts
Old 04-19-09, 05:50 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Here is the description from MVP, For $90 I would just buy them. The only question is will they fit the Lexus subframe? I have a TT rear subframe so its a no brainer for me, Lexus guys need to do a little home work.

"Titan Differential Mounts for 1993-98 Supra - Rear
Part # Tit Diff Mounts
These are the 2 differential mounts that go from the subframe to the differential assembly. The help solidify the rear end and prevent drivetrain-breaking wheelhop. These parts are sold as a pair and must be welded in place."
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Hop-titdiffmounts.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop