Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I had to push my car yesterday, today I don't...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 06:01 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had to push my car yesterday, today I don't...

So yesterday on the freeway, I hit 4th gear and around 3,000-4,000 rpm my car loses fuel for a second and catches back.. I was a bit scared.. so i took it easy.. 100km/h (60mph) the rest of the way home. Get onto the city road and it starts happening more frequently.. I'm maybe 7-8 minutes away from home.

I stop at a light, and when it turns green, I give it gas.. only to have the car stall on me. I had no idea what happened, but ended up pushing the car home with my girlfriend During this journey home, I tried starting the car multiple times.

30 minutes, I get home. The the car's 1/4 of the way up the very slightly inclined driveway, I try to start her, she turns turns and vroom.. the engine starts up!!

I get to the top of the driveway and it bogs down, slowly.. slowly.. slowly, she dies again.. Car's restarted, idle's low, but dies again. I check my Soarer Dash (It's all digital) It tells me I have 12L in the tank.. It can't be the gas. She will rest there tonight..

Next morning.. I think back, I just ran some Lucas injector cleaner through the tank. I put 60L in the tank and put 160ml of the injector cleaner inside (recommended was for 50L put 100-150ml), but that can't be because I ran her down to less than 5L to make sure all the injector cleaner got through, and put another 20L in there. This 20L is the 20L that failed me.

I go online, check all the possibilites, Fuel Pump is my first guess, then second is the Fuel Pump ECU. I go out bypass the fuel pump ecu, no worky.. go back inside and ponder to myself.. what can it be...

I go out, and check the gas again.. huh? I have 7L of gas now... that's odd.. must be the incline.. turn the key to try to start her, same.. she struggles.. low idle.. and stalls again. I check the gas again.. huh?! Less than 5L, it says in Japanese.. and the fuel gauge is completely empty... this can't be.....

I go to the closest gas station, and buy 10L of fuel. On my way home (seriously 2 minutes by car to the gas station) I'm waiting at the light to go onto my street.. someone clips my mirror and scratches some paint off... this must be a bad week for my family and cars. My brother just got in an accident when he drove down to Toronto on last friday.. taxi driver opened the door while he was passing... oh well.. back on topic..

I take all his info, and drive home. 10L into the tank.. 94 Octane into the tank. Go to the ignition, check the fuel gauge.. huh?!!? .. 22L? ... start her up.. She starts!!!!!!! But 22L? .. I let her run through, everything seems to be fine.. Car warms up, and I take her around the block, she runs perfect, full throttle and almost losing the rear I notice it runs smooth.

22L in the tank.. I have a 79L tank.. so theoretically.. 22L - 79L = 57L .. I must need 57L of gas. I go to the pump, the pump clicks at 64.5L and stops.. I know I can usually fit another 3-5L into the tank after this, but I wanted to get an acccurate reading.. So is my fuel gauge reading 8.5L too much..? Or is it something else..

Input guys? Sorry for the long story.. been a headache these 2 days.
Old 04-15-09, 08:12 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Guess it really ain't my week.. I went out for a drive right after I wrote this, and right when I get on the freeway, I get a flat.......
Old 04-16-09, 03:52 AM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Bad tank sender? Wouldn't explain the no-start issues, though, unless the sender is linked to an ECU for something.
Old 04-16-09, 05:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate...

they are an approximation at best... think about it - you have a float that is on top of the fuel and a computer that is measuring fuel level electrically... because the fuel sloshes around while driving, the fuel level float is constantly moving around... on inclines, when hitting the brakes, when going around turns - constantly...

the computer in the car looks as the numbers its getting from the sender and averages it over a certain period of tie, thus giving you your fuel level... accurate, not very much so...
Old 04-16-09, 06:39 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

This is what I'm hoping, but I find it weird to have the car stall when it said 12L.. I mean 12L is a lot, it can get me atleast 90kms... first time it happened, I wonder if it's because I put the injector cleaner and it might have messed something up?

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate...

they are an approximation at best... think about it - you have a float that is on top of the fuel and a computer that is measuring fuel level electrically... because the fuel sloshes around while driving, the fuel level float is constantly moving around... on inclines, when hitting the brakes, when going around turns - constantly...

the computer in the car looks as the numbers its getting from the sender and averages it over a certain period of tie, thus giving you your fuel level... accurate, not very much so...