Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help! have 1jz swap questions i cant find answer

Old 04-13-09, 12:36 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! have 1jz swap questions i cant find answer

hey guys, i screwed my engine up in my 93 sc300 and i found a real good deal on a 90-93 1jzgtte with 30-45k miles on t (i presume around 50-75k)
but my BIGGEST question is other than getting my wiring harness done by dr. tweak the engine will be a direct fit right???? the tranny will bolt right up to the driveshaft??? i dont have time to be doing custom work so if i have to i will wait and find one setup from a soarer.

will a 90-93 full engine/tranny 1jzgtte from a 90-93 supra fit in my car?

PLEASE i am in need of these answers i appreciate any input or a point in the right direction of who i need to speak to. thanks in advance
Old 04-13-09, 01:24 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sj408
will a 90-93 full engine/tranny 1jzgtte from a 90-93 supra fit in my car?
]
I think the oil sump is not in the correct location for the SC
Old 04-13-09, 01:45 PM

i think the tranny that comes with that also has to be extended to fit in the gap where the shift is... i think? well i read it around..
Old 04-13-09, 01:46 PM

hey if you dont buy it....pass it over to me =] haha im local also
Old 04-13-09, 02:38 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by djkevin510
i think the tranny that comes with that also has to be extended to fit in the gap where the shift is... i think? well i read it around..
he didn't say if it was a manual or auto gear box.
Old 04-13-09, 04:23 PM

you right^^ mybad....
Old 04-13-09, 04:25 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
]
I think the oil sump is not in the correct location for the SC
Supras are rear sump right?

I thought it was the chaser 1jz's that you had to swap the oil pan.
Old 04-13-09, 05:04 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

^ Your are right !
Old 04-13-09, 05:22 PM
sj408
Instructor

so as long as its rear sump im good? the shop im buying it from is gonna put it in for 600 i guess and they said they will handle all the wiring etc.
Old 04-13-09, 06:40 PM
sj408
Instructor

Also guys ive been reading that since its from a supra it might not fight right because of where the sump or oil pan is? is this true? can someone please verify this for me

ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION it is an auto tranny from a supra will this work? please help
Old 04-14-09, 06:08 AM
bodydrager
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok what you need is a rear sump 1jzgte, soarers and supras came with them but just make sure it is a rear sump and it will work. Also if it does have a problem with the height to where the oil pan is hitting the crossmember you can use the motor mounts from the 2jzge the actual metal mounts this will allow it to clear the cross member. I know this because I bought a chaser motor that is a front sump and had to swap the pan from my 2jzge and also the motor mounts (the chaser motor mounts are 1 1/2" shorter than the origional 2jzge mounts). I ended up ordering a chaser engine because of all the misinformation on the net.
Old 04-14-09, 10:35 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

what local bay area shop is going to do this all magically for $600? last i checked, bay area labor is between 70-90 hours, and it would take me an easy 20-30 hours to do this again if i skimped on all corners..........i did not for my own car, and would not ever skimp on prep.

doing the wiring harness if minimal work would be adding wire to a soarer wiring harness, that alone should take 2-3 hours with a couple guys working on it. i suppose if you had the motor/random jdm trans thrown in with no prep at all, it could be done in 1 work day for less than $600.

for any 1j/2j, probably 3-4 hours of professional maintence maintence prep is much recomended- front/rear main seal, cam seals, waterpump + gaskets, thermostat and its gaskets, the important head gasket, all misc seals possible, all water line hoses, oil feed / return gaskets, etc

those parts alone are a good $300 easy........

I did a 2jzgte full jza80 supra engine swap with bpu twins in my car, and did a full rebuild build on it prior - since then i've been trouble shooting minor things i overlooked when i rebuilt- forgetting to change a $1.96 oil feed/pressure gasket can cause you all the trouble in the world.....trust me.

do it once, do it right. 1jz /2jz are usually at least 10 years old by now....

Last edited by wanganstyl; 04-14-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-14-09, 12:21 PM
sj408
Instructor

its actually not a local bay shop, its a place down in palm desert like palm springs basically. im buying pretty much all the parts and putting them on is included in the 600 dollars.

Full gasket kit, thermostat, front/rear main seals, oil pump, belts, timing belt/tensioner, spark plugs anything else im missing?

one thing ii dont know yet is if the shop knows there going to have to take my stock wiring harness and do it up with the supra one. but well see
Old 04-14-09, 08:43 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

yeah, you should make sure of those things. big importance.

basically, jdm motors have been sitting (and dry rotting all rubber seals) since removed from a car. a motor with bad seals is as good as bad, sooner or later.

if they'll do the labor for about 600 bux, thats not bad at all.

id suggest having Dr Tweak do your wiring unless your shop has done it before, its not the easiest- seen many shops seriously botch wiring installs......
Old 04-14-09, 09:35 PM
sj408
Instructor

well im gonna give it a try and possibly while the shop is replacing all the seals and what not probably send my harness to dr. tweak

want me to let you know how it goes???? im sure people might be interested if this shop can do a legit swap with a warranty for 600 plus engine cost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! have 1jz swap questions i cant find answer