Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Where to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 01:47 PM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to Start?

Hello,

I am a new member. I recently bought a 1995 SC300 5speed which had around 140k miles. I am interested in turning it into a project car and turboing it. However I don't really know where to start. I have tried searching but I need something more broader as I am a bit clueless when it comes to forced induction. Where should I start to learn? Are there any places that will do the full turbo set up for me? My budget would be around $10k.
Old 04-10-09, 01:50 PM
smiles
Driver School Candidate

Default help

Well I've been on here for quite some time. I've tried and tried to put my pics on here. How exactly did you do it if you dont mind?
Old 04-10-09, 02:02 PM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smiles
Well I've been on here for quite some time. I've tried and tried to put my pics on here. How exactly did you do it if you dont mind?
??? what are you talking about
Old 04-10-09, 02:33 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I think he thought that you did it...? But are you planning on doing the 2JZGTE swap, or building you stock block and getting the 2JZGTE head, or 1JZGTE??
Old 04-10-09, 02:37 PM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CThompsen
lol, I think he thought that you did it...? But are you planning on doing the 2JZGTE swap, or building you stock block and getting the 2JZGTE head, or 1JZGTE??
I really don't know... what would be my best bet if my budget was >10k.. I am honestly clueless about this car and these engines. Thats why I am trying to find a shop that offers a full build.
Old 04-10-09, 02:49 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

check out clubna-t.com ... that's probably your best pace to start.
Old 04-10-09, 02:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to learn about forced induction but the "maximum boost" book by corky bell. it is old and basic but its correct and will give you a stepping stone. it also mentions things not covered in the book. you can use google for those and branch out.

look up member 2jzlex. find the threads he started and follow the link in his signature. there is just about all the information you will need to know about the car and its capabilities.

btw next time do the research on the car BEFORE you buy it
luckily you made a good choice though.
Old 04-10-09, 03:01 PM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
to learn about forced induction but the "maximum boost" book by corky bell. it is old and basic but its correct and will give you a stepping stone. it also mentions things not covered in the book. you can use google for those and branch out.

look up member 2jzlex. find the threads he started and follow the link in his signature. there is just about all the information you will need to know about the car and its capabilities.

btw next time do the research on the car BEFORE you buy it
luckily you made a good choice though.
I actually have this book, its great.

What route do you think would be best with 10k budget? What kind of power could I get?
Old 04-10-09, 03:02 PM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
check out clubna-t.com ... that's probably your best pace to start.
Thanks Ill check it out..
Old 04-10-09, 04:10 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Basically i'll sum it all up for you, you got 2 options, engine swap or turbo(na-t). NA-T is harder to do because of the tune, the ecu has no built in boost crap and you have a distributor. The best option is swap. 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte.

1jz-gte is a 2.5l twin turbo engine (same as nissan skyline) 280hp 3g to swap
2jz-gte is a 3.0l twin turbo engine. Basically what you have right now but turbo. 280hp JDM and 320hp USDM 5g to swap

Now depending on your states laws, swaping a 1jz might be illegal. But then again odds are if you put a single turbo onto your 2jz its also gonna be illegal and odds are your gonna need go fat single anyways.

Next big problem if your tranny, even tho you do have a 5spd, your current on will only take low 300s hp before it breaks. Most people swap a r154 tranny from a usdm mk3 turbo supra or a jdm import. Expect around 500 for the tranny and like another 300 for the belhousing and what is it like 500-700ish for a good clutch. Or like 1500 for the whole tranny shipped from japan. Your also gonna need a better rear differential.

Then on top of that your prob gonna wanna go past 280hp so now you need a new intake manifold, turbo, ams ems, fuel injectors, ect.

IMO their is no point in going fast if your gonna die.Do the basic stuff right like:
Suspension (gixxer_drew" Bilstein / Hypercoil setup google that) 1000 dollars
ls400 brake calipers 300ish
rims 500-100 and tires 600-1000 dollars (staggered setup with rear rims like 9.5in wide) lower control arms 400ish.

After you do all that figure out what you wanna do, 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte route, consider the state you live in, the smog laws ect. or how to bypass said laws and go from their. Honestly for 10g you can easily get all the suspension,brake and tire stuff take care of and swap either a 2jz-gte with no spare change left or a 1jz-gte with some mod money remaining. But thats only if you gonna do the work yourself. If you want a shop to do this then 10g will only cover you labor.

Last edited by Ryeno; 04-10-09 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-11-09, 10:44 AM
95speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Basically i'll sum it all up for you, you got 2 options, engine swap or turbo(na-t). NA-T is harder to do because of the tune, the ecu has no built in boost crap and you have a distributor. The best option is swap. 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte.

1jz-gte is a 2.5l twin turbo engine (same as nissan skyline) 280hp 3g to swap
2jz-gte is a 3.0l twin turbo engine. Basically what you have right now but turbo. 280hp JDM and 320hp USDM 5g to swap

Now depending on your states laws, swaping a 1jz might be illegal. But then again odds are if you put a single turbo onto your 2jz its also gonna be illegal and odds are your gonna need go fat single anyways.

Next big problem if your tranny, even tho you do have a 5spd, your current on will only take low 300s hp before it breaks. Most people swap a r154 tranny from a usdm mk3 turbo supra or a jdm import. Expect around 500 for the tranny and like another 300 for the belhousing and what is it like 500-700ish for a good clutch. Or like 1500 for the whole tranny shipped from japan. Your also gonna need a better rear differential.

Then on top of that your prob gonna wanna go past 280hp so now you need a new intake manifold, turbo, ams ems, fuel injectors, ect.

IMO their is no point in going fast if your gonna die.Do the basic stuff right like:
Suspension (gixxer_drew" Bilstein / Hypercoil setup google that) 1000 dollars
ls400 brake calipers 300ish
rims 500-100 and tires 600-1000 dollars (staggered setup with rear rims like 9.5in wide) lower control arms 400ish.

After you do all that figure out what you wanna do, 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte route, consider the state you live in, the smog laws ect. or how to bypass said laws and go from their. Honestly for 10g you can easily get all the suspension,brake and tire stuff take care of and swap either a 2jz-gte with no spare change left or a 1jz-gte with some mod money remaining. But thats only if you gonna do the work yourself. If you want a shop to do this then 10g will only cover you labor.
Thanks a lot for all that information... Where should I look for an 2jz-gte engine to do a swap?

Should I even bother? I probably CANNOT do this stuff by myself, I have little experience working on cars. To get my car to around ~500hp it looks like it will cost me more than 15,000$ which is a bit steep.
Old 04-11-09, 12:27 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 95speed
Should I even bother? I probably CANNOT do this stuff by myself
Nope. Modifying cars is not a cost effective hobby even when you do your own work; if you have to pay a shop to do it, you'd better have deep pockets, and that's if you're lucky enough to find a shop that won't cut corners and rip you off left and right.

Time to start learning about cars, I think.
Old 04-11-09, 03:32 PM
ucfa4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would probably be better off selling your car and buying one for ten that already has a 2gzgte single. Your other option is to spend just as much or more getting a 2jzgte swapped in and single turbo setup.
Old 04-11-09, 09:00 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a place called MA Autosports near you that could probbably do the swap. I know they have done it before
Old 04-12-09, 04:30 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by 95speed
Thanks a lot for all that information... Where should I look for an 2jz-gte engine to do a swap?

Should I even bother? I probably CANNOT do this stuff by myself, I have little experience working on cars. To get my car to around ~500hp it looks like it will cost me more than 15,000$ which is a bit steep.
Nope you shouldnt bother if your not going to do the work yourself. 15k is enough to get around 500rwhp safely but thats ONLY if you can do the labor yourself. If you go to a shop expect to pay 50%+ the cost of the part to install it.

You could wait until someone sells a swapped sc on these forums but odds are your gonna need to drive to florida or california. Plus even then your gonna need to make sure the car passes your states emission laws(if you have them) and even a swapped car isnt neccessarly gonna be 500hp.

Quick Reply: Where to Start?