Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 07:22 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why?

So I paged through some tuner magazines and noticed that their was an abundance of parts for the wrx, civic, evo, rsx, and pretty much every car but ours. Why is this? lol I feel like its hard to find parts for the sc300 unless you go FI or swap a 1j or 2j-gte. Nobody even makes a cold air intake for the 96-00 sc300. Can anybody tell me why this is? I like it cause it makes our car more rare but still...
Old 04-02-09, 07:33 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

pure supply and demand. Our cars have been high on the sale price (until recently) and the cars are sport LUXURY vehicles. The other cars you name were mainstream import tuner cars which have a hype behind them.

The cars you list are cars that keep a lot of performance shops open because the number of drivers that have them and try different mods out with them.
Old 04-02-09, 07:36 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Injen makes a short ram intake for our car. Kinda pricey if you want that thing. Makes more sense to do a BFI mod. You also have to realize that our oldest cars are now 17 years old and weren't originally tuner cars. It wasn't until maybe 10 years ago that the first tuned SC started to show up. There are plenty of performance parts for these said cars beacuse they are the trendy car to buy and "tune".

As far as parts go for our cars, we are a pretty heavy d.i.y. community. A lot of our parts are interchangable between the JZA80 Supra. That car doesn't have parts available?? I like that our cars aren't main stream and posted all over magazines. I'd rather it be "mums the word" about our cars then seeing every other car on the street be and SC. Think of it as being part of an "Exclusive" club of guys with cars that people don't pin point as "the new Civic". And besides we can be the real sleepers if modded correctly.
Old 04-02-09, 07:49 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeSC3
As far as parts go for our cars, we are a pretty heavy d.i.y. community. A lot of our parts are interchangable between the JZA80 Supra. That car doesn't have parts available?? I like that our cars aren't main stream and posted all over magazines. I'd rather it be "mums the word" about our cars then seeing every other car on the street be and SC. Think of it as being part of an "Exclusive" club of guys with cars that people don't pin point as "the new Civic". And besides we can be the real sleepers if modded correctly.
I completely agree. The sc is like the only amazing sleeper out their. Same chassis as a supra, same engine as a super, yet even people who own supras dont know about the sc300. I think i found out about this car by reading a post on youtube street racing vid where a guy mentioned s2000s and scs. Then i had to google sc with every car brand out their to find out what he was talking about.

As for parts why would you want anything for a na car? Those CAI intake kits you see are basically scams, they dont do anything. Unless you go FI, their is really nothing that will make your car better.

With that being said almost everything for a JZA80 mk4 supra will work on our cars. Seats, Suspension (shocks, sturts, coilovers, lca ect.), brake calipers, engines, turbos, engine management ecus.
Old 04-02-09, 11:31 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ryeno
I completely agree. The sc is like the only amazing sleeper out their. Same chassis as a supra, same engine as a super, yet even people who own supras dont know about the sc300. I think i found out about this car by reading a post on youtube street racing vid where a guy mentioned s2000s and scs. Then i had to google sc with every car brand out their to find out what he was talking about.

As for parts why would you want anything for a na car? Those CAI intake kits you see are basically scams, they dont do anything. Unless you go FI, their is really nothing that will make your car better.

With that being said almost everything for a JZA80 mk4 supra will work on our cars. Seats, Suspension (shocks, sturts, coilovers, lca ect.), brake calipers, engines, turbos, engine management ecus.
I wouldn't say it's a pure sleeper, i get some people turning their heads every now and then (that or because im wearing NJ plates in Indiana )but it is subtle in the eyes of any average person. Some say that "it's a Lexus?? sounds expensive" but that is not the case with the older cars like ours. Im still stunned at how few people know the true potential of these cars. It's not until they start realizing how similar the car is to a Toyota Supra then they see what the car is really made of.

Also, the car really wasn't designed with tuners in mind. Cars like civics and integras etc. were made for the average consumer and soon began expanding on the aftermarket performance because of their cheap price and abundance. Later cars like Evos, Scions, etc. had aftermarket products on the market as soon as they hit the road. they had easy potential right out of the box. the SC never had that. but at the same time it makes the SC more unique IMO.
Old 04-02-09, 12:17 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I wouldn't say it's a pure sleeper, i get some people turning their heads every now and then (that or because im wearing NJ plates in Indiana )
Its cuz of the nj plates in indiana. What i mean by sleeper is no cop will ever turn his head when you drive by
but it is subtle in the eyes of any average person. Some say that "it's a Lexus?? sounds expensive" but that is not the case with the older cars like ours. Im still stunned at how few people know the true potential of these cars. It's not until they start realizing how similar the car is to a Toyota Supra then they see what the car is really made of.
Most people think my car is worth 2-3x what its really worth and a good 5-8 yrs newer then it is
Also, the car really wasn't designed with tuners in mind. Cars like civics and integras etc. were made for the average consumer and soon began expanding on the aftermarket performance because of their cheap price and abundance. Later cars like Evos, Scions, etc. had aftermarket products on the market as soon as they hit the road. they had easy potential right out of the box. the SC never had that. but at the same time it makes the SC more unique IMO.
As soon as the supra come out our sc became just as much of a tuner as any other car. We lucked out since toyota took our chassis for the supra.
Old 04-02-09, 12:22 PM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Great answers, I understand completely. Thanks alot for the help guys. That was just on my mind for awhile.
Old 04-02-09, 12:47 PM
simmode1
Rookie

OP, you need to thank God that the braindead, bandwagon masses haven't caught on to the SC yet. As an owner of two 240sx's, I can tell you that it is much better to remain in the elite company that you guys enjoy. I can't wait to get one for myself.

Plus, parts availability seems to be an issue of resourcefulness and selectivity. It seems like most SC know which mods only net you minimal gains (like most C.A.I. systems for example) and avoid them, opting instead for high investment/high return items like FI options and supplementary mods...
Old 04-02-09, 03:18 PM
roxanne
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Haha I remember when I had my chevy s10 that I was trying to get rid of to replace with a car. I didn't know what, just that I wanted a manual coupe with some kick, so naturally I was thinking along the lines of a prelude or 240. All I can say is thank god for autotrader.com or I never would have found my sc. I probably would have ended up with a honda...and probably still wouldn't know what an sc is to this day.
Old 04-02-09, 03:23 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with roxanne. I stumbled across the SC on either craigslist or autotrader. Love at first sight
Old 04-03-09, 08:42 AM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

There aren't enough SCs to go around, simply put. There are probably thousands of Civics in the city you live in, while relatively only 100 SCs. I've only ever seen 3 other SCs in Wilmington, NC. Rare cars = rare parts, I think that may be why we love our cars so much, because nobody else has them. Personally, I prefer it that way. I've been asked if my car was a Mazda Miata, a Toyota Supra...I even got asked if it was a Honda Accord one time...let em keep guessing when I shift into 5th and fly by at 160...because the 1JZ can do that.
Old 04-03-09, 10:37 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad im not labeled or highly identified either. I was next to a van and heard them talking...they could not figure out what I was driving. I liked the comments of "no he's not a ricer", and "is that a Lexus?". It cracked me up, im sooooooo glad im not classified as a ricer.