Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto to manual swap.. now the car wont start- Help!

Old 04-05-07, 05:02 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual swap.. now the car wont start- Help!

I just got thru with converting my automatic SC300 into a manual- along with installing a T67 turbo, 2.5mm headgasket, etc. I try to turn on the car.. but it doesnt start. The starter doesnt even click.

I'm sure I connected all the wiring harnesses back to where they're supposed to be, but still- no click from the starter.

any suggestions? I didnt wire anything to the pedal assembly- a few guys on the forum said that their auto to manual swaps didnt include any wiring to the pedal assembly. Any thoughts on this? Let me know what you guys think.

ANY comments or suggestions would be great. I'm gona re-check all the wiring for now, and hopefully I find something disconnected.

Is there some type of neutral bypass switch? Something dealing with the clutch pedal while starting the car? anything else that needs to be done prior to starting the car with a manual tranny? I'm also using a Manual tranny ECU too.

Allen
Old 04-05-07, 05:12 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a lil vague but, I remember reading posts of people talking about how when switching an auto to manual you have to do some type of bypass so the car knows its in neutral and the clutch is depressed.
Again im sorry I cant explain it more clearly but I think it has something to do with the auto ecu you have on ur car. It needs to be told that its in park or neutral to be able to start and you have to rig something up so that the ecu thinks its in one of those two positions so it allows the car to start….

Notice that on any typical automatic car if you turn off the car in any gear besides N or P the car wont even make the “click” and it will make no attempt at turning over.

-Tommy

ps; mad props bro... you ride is sick... and tell edwin I say whats up!
Old 04-05-07, 05:21 PM
redbarron
Rookie

Did you put in the clutch?
Old 04-05-07, 05:46 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
This might be a lil vague but, I remember reading posts of people talking about how when switching an auto to manual you have to do some type of bypass so the car knows its in neutral and the clutch is depressed.
Again im sorry I cant explain it more clearly but I think it has something to do with the auto ecu you have on ur car. It needs to be told that its in park or neutral to be able to start and you have to rig something up so that the ecu thinks its in one of those two positions so it allows the car to start….

Notice that on any typical automatic car if you turn off the car in any gear besides N or P the car wont even make the “click” and it will make no attempt at turning over.

-Tommy

ps; mad props bro... you ride is sick... and tell edwin I say whats up!
Hey, thx for the reply. I actually have a manual tranny ECU in my car right now. Do you know what exactly I need to bypass to allow my car to start?

Redbarron- what do you mean by put in the clutch. Yea, the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel are installed.

Any other suggestions?

Allen
Old 04-05-07, 06:03 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

from what I remember, it was one of the Florida guys who has a red 1jz sc.... I think his name was “got trd” or something.... he hasn’t been on for a while tho
but the person who bypassed it found a wire which ran from the manual ecu to what should have been a relay in the manual cars that told the ecu the clutch was depressed and the car was not in gear... if you look up the wire schematics you should be able to locate that wire.... Ill keep on searching for you and see what I can find.
Old 04-05-07, 06:38 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

try Pm'ing VSsc400, He did the swap on his 400 but he knows a lot reguarding the swap and he might be able to help you with your situation.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...to+manual+swap
Old 04-05-07, 06:39 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

make a push start button. that's what i did on my car.
Old 04-05-07, 06:43 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure u have fluid in the master cylinder
Old 04-05-07, 06:53 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

I did a auto to manual swap on my Acura Integra back in the day and i remember the starters were not the same for auto and manual so you might want to check to see if the starters are the same part for a manual and auto car.
Old 04-05-07, 07:21 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
Is there some type of neutral bypass switch? Something dealing with the clutch pedal while starting the car? anything else that needs to be done prior to starting the car with a manual tranny? I'm also using a Manual tranny ECU too.

Allen
According to my Toyota RI... try jumpering pins 2&3 on the neutral safety switch connector. If not you won't get power to the starter relay. ECU pin # 76 supplies the power going to the switch. Not sure how others have done their swap, but these should be the same wires to wire up the clutch switch.
Old 04-05-07, 07:54 PM
DHBomber
Driver School Candidate

Oh, this info was for a 92, so newer models may use different wiring/connector at the PN switch. Regardless, the ECU pin 76 looks to be the same (B,W wire). I would pull the starter relay to see if you are getting power there when cranking...
Old 04-06-07, 10:51 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

ok, the car is cranking now, but it won't start. There's spark, and there's fuel- but no combustion Everything seems to be connected.. any suggestions?
Old 04-06-07, 10:59 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I did the swap in my car. We basically jumped the starter into the ignition relay. I couldnt not find the proper neutral safety switch / clutch start switch since I used a 6 speed harness and kept my auto body harness. Starts like an auto would start.

But my climate control isnt currently working and it looks like it uses power from the ignition, so its probably connected somehow.

As for your starting issue, I cant help you there, my car started, then died, but it was because of an issue with the ignitor.
Old 04-06-07, 11:05 AM
TRDRacer
Driver

Not to be an *** or anything but this was asked earlier and you never gave an answer. Do you have the clutch in Neutral and have the clucth pressed down to the floor when trying to start the car?
Old 04-06-07, 11:43 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

fawk got me all dirty alright ill expect $20.00 to my paypal no later than friday lol jp. alright since ur in pain and u asked nicely twice..... here is your answer open up here comes the spoon.

if you can't tell im jumping the 2 green sections in the middle with a paper clip if it works cut those wires off the harness and use a crimp connector and do it right nothing more embarassing than driving a pimp *** car and it dont start infront of a crowd lol......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto to manual swap.. now the car wont start- Help!