Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mk3 shaft with stock sc rear is too long for r154 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-09, 04:52 PM
kevro
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk3 shaft with stock sc rear is too long for r154 swap

i dont get it, the mk3 shaft is about 1/2 inch longer than the original shaft i removed from the car (1992 stock w58) when i combine the mk3 front portion with the sc rear section using of course the carrier bearing from the sc, I end up too long, the cupped end on the yoke of the shaft is scraping inside the cupped section of the tranny. any one else fun into this?? any suggestions?
I have two of the mk3 front sections ( I assumed the first one was bogus and found another cheap) anyone have a mk3 shaft out of the car now they can measure for me (maybe i got the wrong thing twice) its soooo close to fitting, just a tad too long.
Kevin
Old 03-27-09, 04:59 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sig, try searching a bit.
Old 03-27-09, 05:01 PM
kevro
Pole Position

thank you for your help, I did search and I have pm's several people who have done this swap, I have the mk3 shaft in the first place because that is what all my previous searches have told me. I also dont see anywhere in the FAQ that discusses having the same shaft everyone else is using and it being too long.
Kevin
Old 03-27-09, 05:20 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevro
thank you for your help, I did search and I have pm's several people who have done this swap, I have the mk3 shaft in the first place because that is what all my previous searches have told me. I also dont see anywhere in the FAQ that discusses having the same shaft everyone else is using and it being too long.
Kevin
That's because you didn't actually read any of the threads.
Old 03-27-09, 05:30 PM
kevro
Pole Position

before i ever asked I read every single post in craaazy's thread into the swap (this one seemed to be the most appropriate to my problem), didnt anywhere find him talk ever about the shaft not fitting properly. Also read several other threads outlining complete swaps and tranny only swaps. I have only ever come accross people who made custom and never even looked at mk3/soarer hybrid. or people who went with hybrid and never once mention a problem. maybe you can HELP me find it if I have somehow missed it. I appreciate your extensive links thread and Im sure it is useful for tons of info. Kudos. If you arent interested in helping me any further then that is certainly up to you. Im not trying to showoff my searching skills and I can assure you I am not just asking without any of my own thought going into finding the answer. I couldnt find anyone SOLVING the length problem I have run into and have now asked for help. I thought that's what forums were intended for.

Last edited by kevro; 03-27-09 at 05:36 PM.