Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C rebuild thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 10:33 AM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C rebuild thread

Okay.

I'm creating this thread to troubleshoot everything until I have working A/C

Let me detail my problem with my system:

When there is freon in the system, and you press the A/C button on the car when the car is running, the compressor will kick on for a few seconds, then off, then on, and then off. It is a repeating process. BUT the car still blows hot air.

Today:

I received a new servomotor and pressure parts from Aliga (two tanks--hi and low?)

I did the self-diagnostic.

When you first enter, only code 23 displays. This is the pressure circuit code. So I'll get the new switch. No big deal, easy five minute job.

When you switch over to the vent blowing cycle, the codes cycle through with codes displaying from 20 through 27, and then repeating the process. You can hear all the vents operating and feeling air flow as normal.

Other points of interest:

Yesterday, I removed the red cap for the A/C line near the radiator. As I took it off air was hissing out of it. So there's obviously pressure built up in the system.

I have an obvious problem with my system. I have taken it to a local reputable shop that proudly proclaims "we do everything but transmissions." They basically just said, "oh well we dumped some freon and leak dye in abut couldn't figure it out, so here's a bill for $100." I told them to stick it and give me the car back. At first they said no I owe them money. I told them, "Look you put freon and dye in, I did this myself and found the same results. I asked you to TROUBLESHOOT and figure out the PROBLEM. It isn't a leak, its a mechanical or electrical issue. If I don't have the keys to my car in five minutes I'm getting an attorney...."

They immediately gave me the keys back, and I never returned.

I'm at a loss for words when it comes to this.

If anyone has constructive assistance on how to figure this crap out, I'd be eternally greatful.

I've searched through this forum more times than I can count and have returned no results.

:/
Old 03-13-09, 02:03 PM
neodymium
Rookie

I will be joining this thread as I will be going on summer #2 of no AC. Last summer I traced a leak to my evaporator pressure regulator, replaced it, and had another leak 2 days later.
If you are losing pressure when you take that cap off, you need to replace your "schrader" valve. Mine wouldn't seat properly, or was just crappy so I replaced it and it no longer hissed at me.
Old 03-13-09, 11:43 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

I think you can tighten that valve with the little driver they use for valve stems.

Same concept.

Worked on my AllTrac when I had it.
Old 03-16-09, 07:59 AM
neodymium
Rookie

I also forgot to mention that code 23 does not automatically mean your pressure switch is bad. It also indicates abnormal refrigerant pressure. Just because your valve is hissing does not mean you have enough pressure in your system.