Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just finished 1jz swap and...

Old 03-10-09, 09:22 PM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my does the same thing, when i get it around 3k it seems like it hits a wall. I don't have any codes coming from the check engine light.

So im stumped on this one.
Old 03-10-09, 09:25 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG your manifold's upside down.

Here's a manifold with the same basic design:

Notice the wastegate placement and how it's in exactly the same spot.

Also notice the bolt pattern is the same right side up and upside down.

Turn that thing around, you got it wrong.
Old 03-10-09, 09:28 PM
r1ce
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdmjzz30
my does the same thing, when i get it around 3k it seems like it hits a wall. I don't have any codes coming from the check engine light.

So im stumped on this one.
so you had no luck either? what is the 1j out of, if you dont mind me asking.

Originally Posted by tavarish
OMG your manifold's upside down.
lol no. its not. it goes on only one way (this particular manifold) . it was made this way so i can have something different also. and also i have 3 different 1jz manifolds here.
i decided on this one because 1. its new and different (i havent seen someone run one yet) 2.i can still change to one of my other manifolds if i wanted

Last edited by r1ce; 03-10-09 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 09:35 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r1ce
so you had no luck either? what is the 1j out of, if you dont mind me asking.

lol no. its not. it goes on only one way (this particular manifold) . it was made this way so i can have something different also. and also i have 3 different 1jz manifolds here.
i decided on this one because 1. its new and different (i havent seen someone run one yet) 2.i can still change to one of my other manifolds if i wanted
Think about this logically.

Why would an open wastegate be AWAY from the downpipe and TOWARDS the front of the engine?

Why would you place your turbo directly next to your drive belts?

The bolt pattern is exactly the same upside down and right side up. I have a 1jz as well, and it's not hard to see that you have a manifold installed incorrectly.
Old 03-10-09, 09:40 PM
r1ce
Rookie

Think about this logically.

Why would an open wastegate be AWAY from the downpipe and TOWARDS the front of the engine?

The bolt pattern is exactly the same upside down and right side up. I have a 1jz as well, and it's not hard to see that you have a manifold installed incorrectly.

a lot of people do run open dumps. and who says it need to go near the downpipe?

why not? there's no reason you cant

that's a another reason i ran the manifold this way, because some people cant realize that's there's more than one way to do something. also its not near any of the belts at all

The bolt pattern is exactly the same upside down and right side up

i realize this to, but this manifold works one way, as the runners hit the block and so does the wastegate tube/wastegate. it was built to go this way.
Old 03-10-09, 09:51 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

a lot of people do run open dumps. and who says it need to go near the downpipe?
A lot of people do run open dumps, but every manifold in the world has the wastegate location in the general vicinity of the downpipe. Where would you vent it to? the hood? Your drive belts?

why not? there's no reason you cant

that's a another reason i ran the manifold this way, because some people cant realize that's there's more than one way to do something. also its not near any of the belts at all

You can drive a car with your feet, doesn't make it a good idea. This is the wrong way of doing it, I can promise you that. The turbo doesn't hit the drive belts, but what happens when you add a filter? Where are the PCV hoses going to go? Don't be obtuse. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the way you have it set up is frankly ridiculous.

The bolt pattern is exactly the same upside down and right side up

i realize this to, but this manifold works one way, as the runners hit the block and so does the wastegate tube/wastegate. it was built to go this way.
If the runners hit the block as well as the wastegate, did it ever occur to you that maybe the manifold has poor fitment? No 1jz manifold EVER has been installed like this. If you have other manifolds, use them. Install them correctly. Being different is good and all, but this is ridiculous.
Old 03-10-09, 10:03 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

I just took a look at the manifold, and having it hit the block when right side up is BS. It takes up less room than the ebay mani with perfect fitment. Also, you can fit a turbo down there, but the manifold is an issue?

Do it right please. then worry about how the car's running.
Old 03-10-09, 10:12 PM
r1ce
Rookie

A lot of people do run open dumps, but every manifold in the world has the wastegate location in the general vicinity of the downpipe. Where would you vent it to? the hood? Your drive belts?

You can drive a car with your feet, doesn't make it a good idea. This is the wrong way of doing it, I can promise you that. The turbo doesn't hit the drive belts, but what happens when you add a filter? Where are the PCV hoses going to go? Don't be obtuse. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the way you have it set up is frankly ridiculous.

If the runners hit the block as well as the wastegate, did it ever occur to you that maybe the manifold has poor fitment? No 1jz manifold EVER has been installed like this. If you have other manifolds, use them. Install them correctly. Being different is good and all, but this is ridiculous.
theres way than enough space to run a dump straight down. aka an open dump.

and intake tube and filter has been test fitted with no clearce issues what so ever alot with the pcv lines for the catch can and ect. What makes this way so wrong?

it doesnt have poor fitment what so ever this manifold was made this way.

I just took a look at the manifold, and having it hit the block when right side up is BS. It takes up less room than the ebay mani with perfect fitment. Also, you can fit a turbo down there, but the manifold is an issue?

Do it right please. then worry about how the car's running.
and for it not fitting the other way, here is my address (3550 S Skylark PL Tucson,AZ 85730) come down and put it the other way and see how fitment is then, it wont fit. it was purposely made this way. i just want to know what so wrong about this set up? Just because no 1jz has been set up like this?

back on topic..

my car still cuts around 3k even with that black wire cut, even tho it was dealing with a 95+ SC
Old 03-10-09, 10:17 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

theres way than enough space to run a dump straight down. aka an open dump.

and intake tube and filter has been test fitted with no clearce issues what so ever alot with the pcv lines for the catch can and ect. What makes this way so wrong?

it doesnt have poor fitment what so ever this manifold was made this way.

and for it not fitting the other way, here is my address (3550 S Skylark PL Tucson,AZ 85730) come down and put it the other way and see how fitment is then, it wont fit. it was purposely made this way. i just want to know what so wrong about this set up? Just because no 1jz has been set up like this?

back on topic..

my car still cuts around 3k even with that black wire cut, even tho it was dealing with a 95+ SC

Yes, people do open dumps, not to the front of their engine bay though. Usually somewhere near their downpipe. Your setup is wrong because it's upside down. I live in NJ. I'm not going to fix your mistakes for you, but good luck to you if you fail to acknowledge them.

I'm going to be putting my wheels inside out, and when people ask me about it, i'll just reply "there's more than one way to do it, it's didn't fit the other way" even though it looks completely retarded.

Try swapping ignitors. It's a common issue on 1jzs.
Old 03-10-09, 10:24 PM
r1ce
Rookie

Yes, people do open dumps, not to the front of their engine bay though. Usually somewhere near their downpipe. Your setup is wrong because it's upside down. I live in NJ. I'm not going to fix your mistakes for you, but good luck to you if you fail to acknowledge them.

I'm going to be putting my wheels inside out, and when people ask me about it, i'll just reply "there's more than one way to do it, it's didn't fit the other way" even though it looks completely retarded.

Try swapping ignitors. It's a common issue on 1jzs.
so your saying all of the honda owners running open dumps are doing it the wrong way? since there open dumps are in front of their cars?

so this manifold looks retarded because its sits this way? so all the stock cars and cars like 240s with manifolds like this is retarded? and its not right?

im just saying this manifold is not upside down and was build to be put on this way.

and the coils are good. just swapped them out today.
Old 03-10-09, 10:32 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

so your saying all of the honda owners running open dumps are doing it the wrong way? since there open dumps are in front of their cars?

so this manifold looks retarded because its sits this way? so all the stock cars and cars like 240s with manifolds like this is retarded? and its not right?

im just saying this manifold is not upside down and was build to be put on this way.

and the coils are good. just swapped them out today.
Honda owners have turbo manifolds that have wastegates in the general area of the downpipe, since everything is literally at the front of the engine. However, in your case, you have the wastegate at the complete opposite side, by the drive belts and front of the engine. The proper location should be down below, by the actual downpipe. You don't drive a honda, you should know where things go in these cars.

I understand the concept of a bottom mount manifold. This is not one of them. The wastegate placement is a dead giveaway, and the fact it looks almost identical to every other 1jz manifold, just flipped.

I didn't say anything about the coils, I said check the ignitor, its the black box on the right of the engine bay.
Old 03-10-09, 10:41 PM
r1ce
Rookie

Honda owners have turbo manifolds that have wastegates in the general area of the downpipe, since everything is literally at the front of the engine. However, in your case, you have the wastegate at the complete opposite side, by the drive belts and front of the engine. The proper location should be down below, by the actual downpipe. You don't drive a honda, you should know where things go in these cars.

I understand the concept of a bottom mount manifold. This is not one of them. The wastegate placement is a dead giveaway, and the fact it looks almost identical to every other 1jz manifold, just flipped.

I didn't say anything about the coils, I said check the ignitor, its the black box on the right of the engine bay.

theres not a dumb on the car yet and in no way it will be by the belts. but there dumps are still in front of the cars. i know where things go in this car. and its not that, im just trying to say that this manifold was welded up that the shop for this fitment. and ment to go this way.

and the igniter checks out good.
Old 03-10-09, 10:48 PM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

my 1JZ is of a 1992 Soarer.
Old 03-10-09, 10:49 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

theres not a dumb on the car yet and in no way it will be by the belts. but there dumps are still in front of the cars. i know where things go in this car. and its not that, im just trying to say that this manifold was welded up that the shop for this fitment. and ment to go this way.

and the igniter checks out good.
I'd take it back to the shop and get my money back. I dont know what else to say. If you had it custom made to fit improperly and have weird fitment of turbo and wastegate, then I guess you're on track.

I guess I can't convince someone if they don't realize it themselves.
Old 03-10-09, 10:58 PM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

what year is your car and your 1jz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just finished 1jz swap and...