Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

V8 OBD1/OBD2 modding question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-09, 07:19 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 OBD1/OBD2 modding question

For a full street NA build which one is better to mod? I'm looking to jump into the v8 world but not sure which is a better platform. Basically vvti and tuning comes to mind. Will also be running a MAP ecu.
Old 02-28-09, 08:12 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Coupe
For a full street NA build which one is better to mod? I'm looking to jump into the v8 world but not sure which is a better platform. Basically vvti and tuning comes to mind. Will also be running a MAP ecu.
You gotta go to www.lextreme.com for the V8 world. There's a stroker kit that uses the Tundra 4.7 block with SC heads, either with non VVTI or VVTI heads. Then the 4.7 block is stroked out to 5.2L. That's the best NA route so far. Here's the link: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showt...&highlight=5.2

You should run the AEM Supra TT standalone to tweak out the best from this big stroker NA. I have a connection to a master in AEM tuning. So if you're interested, you got the source. 350-400 rwhp and monster tq that rips the tires is doable.

Last edited by stevechumo; 02-28-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-01-09, 10:08 AM
Da Coupe
Driver

Thanks for the links. I'm aware of all the motor building options out there but still not sure whether to go OBD1 or OBD2. I've also considered the AEM but the MAP ECU is more user friendly.
Old 03-01-09, 12:11 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

OBD1 or 2 isn't a problem when going with standalone. I've recently talked to 2 pro tuners on Map-ECU and Map-ECU 2. I almost went that way with my car this weekend. I found out the wiring is very complicated with the Map ECU, especially #2. If you can do it yourself, then it's not a problem. But if you hire a tuner to do it, the installation alone costs around $600. The total at the end: Map-ECU2 ($675) + Installation ($600) + Tuning ($600) = $1875.

The above total made me go with a standalone for a little more $.

If you're looking into a piggyback ECU that has similar functions like the Map-ECU2 (Map-ECU1 is inferior to Map-ECU2), then I have a Brand New Split Second FTC1 made specifically for the SC400 with the wiring instruction. This Split Second can control fuel and timing. The nice thing about this Split Sec is it'll allow you to add 8 extra injectors. So your car will run like stock at all range with its stock 8 injectors, then the other extra 8 injectors will work when the car is under heavy load. That means you can use 8 extra stock injectors for cheap without buying expensive bigger injectors. It also has the Map Sensor just in case you're looking to boost the car.

I can sell it to you for the price of the Map-ECU1, which is $300. It originally bought for around $800. Please PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-01-09, 01:21 PM
Da Coupe
Driver

I see your point on why you went with the AEM. As for me I'd still like to retain my factory ecu with a piggyback for finer tuning. I havn't researched the Split Second yet but sounds interesting for the price. I'll have to look into it more. Does it eliminate the MAF?
Old 03-01-09, 02:54 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

You may check at www.splitsec.com for more info.
Old 03-01-09, 03:48 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Is the MAF conversion kit from SplitSecond any good for getting rid of our karman sensor?
Old 03-03-09, 09:35 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for obdII we use F/IC's. We usually outfit them to NSX's. It works pretty good, the big issue is idle, you really can't control idle. Unlike other maf scalers (IE SAFC), is that it doesn't trick the maf/map signal. It actually adjusts the injectors, and it will also do timing.
Old 03-03-09, 02:28 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shajbot
Is the MAF conversion kit from SplitSecond any good for getting rid of our karman sensor?
I see there's a Map Sensor in the Split Sec FTC1 so I think it's used either to replace the stock MAF or used to tune. I haven't read the whole package. Too busy to prepare for my car. You may call Mark at Split Sec for further info. If you talk to him, just don't tell him if you won't buy it from him; he won't make profit so he might not tell you everything. LOL. However, he's a very nice guy to talk to.