Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Apexi AFC Neo Help! Car Starts, Rough Idle, Then Stall

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 11:22 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could, that would be great. And do you have the diagram for the MAF sensor, kinda like the picture all the way at the top?

Thank you

Last edited by sc-driver; 02-28-09 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 01:10 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked up the lextreme site and it is what I have. Are you cutting pin 66 (which from everything I am reading is the right one) and put them to the right wires on the Neo or are you just splicing them inline?
Old 02-27-09, 01:18 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, I actually cut the wire, hook up the brown/white to the ecu pin66, and the black/white from the maf.

This can't be the right wire, it's not doing what it's supposed to be doing.
CarFreak was having the same problem. Pin66 definitely has something to do with the maf sensor, its just that I don't think its the one we need.

If what you said earlier about pin 28 sending an E2 (ground) signal to the ecu, then that sounds very promising since when I tested the afc, it got a karman signal when i pulsated ground signal. I guess this closed the circuit and make the voltage spike to 5 volts.

Last edited by sc-driver; 03-02-09 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 02:14 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

on your SAFC you should be using the brown/white and the black/white wires ... and on the ECU you need the yellow/green wire which is your KS sensor located at pin 66

you can't be looking for the VC wire since it goes to your throttle position sensor ... but if you want to try it out, it is a blue/red wire located at pin 41

good luck
Old 02-27-09, 03:47 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

yup, i am using those exact wire, maybe i have them mixed up. I'll look at it again.

Last edited by sc-driver; 02-28-09 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 04:52 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

on the SAFC :
1. Black wire with a white stripe goes to the yellow wire with a green stripe that is coming from the MAF
2.Brown wire with a white stripe goes to the yellow wire with a green stripe that goes to the ECU pin 66

On the ECU the wire going to pin 66 should be yellow with a green stripe ... you cut that wire in two and you hook up the SAFC as stated above ... but don't confuse it with the yellow/green wire at pin 58 (IGF) that is coming from the IGNITER

pin 28 (VF2) is a check connector that is used to diagnose the oxygen sensor, in this case VF2 is used to diagnose OX2 ...

if you want to make sure you have the correct wire ... run a wire directly from the MAF through the firewall and hook it up to your SAFC ... if you are wondering which wire to use on the MAF, you will use the YELLOW wire with the GREEN stripe (yellow/green)

look i'm not trying to sound rude but this isn't brain science or rocket surgery ...

Last edited by drft_n_sc; 02-27-09 at 05:08 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-27-09, 06:58 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not trying to be rude either, but if you have read any of the above posts you will see that, THAT HAS ALREADY been done.

check out my first post. That's exactly how I had it wired up.
As YOU said,
1. Black wire with a white stripe goes to the yellow wire with a green stripe that is coming from the MAF
2.Brown wire with a white stripe goes to the yellow wire with a green stripe that goes to the ECU pin 66

Thats what I did. I tried starting the car with that setup making SURE that everything is connected correctly. I tried so many times slightly adjusting the cables, making sure they are all connected, making sure they are all in the right order. My car battery even died because of all the times I kept trying to start it with no luck.

I hope Carfreak70 doesn't mind but this is the PM he sent me.
Um, as far as that goes, I dont think that is the problem, but hey go for it. I just know that I couldnt find that damn karman wire and it really pissed me off, so I just ripped it out of the car. It was pretty ---. I Know for a fact that that pin in not correct. Mainly because when you cut it, it screws with everything when you get it running. I havent heard of many bad AFC's, but you could be 1 in a 1,000,000. I wish I could help you more. I just never got mine to work, just got really frustraited, I went as far as calling every person that i knew that built Lexus parts and none of them know where that wire is. Its pretty --- man. I got my SAFC on my SC300 to work, but not the NEO on the SC400...
He had the exact same problem. We both tried it and it doesn't work. I really don't want to sound like an *******, but I am trying to tell everyone that connecting the black/white wire to the MAF, and the brown/white wire to the ecu HAS NOT WORKED. Thats the reason why I started this thread, because the way its supposed to work ISN'T

Please man, don't take this the wrong way. I am just trying to tell you guys that setup isn't working, at least on my 1996 SC400.

I'm a mechanical engineer and this just doesn't make sense to me at all why it doesn't work. The point is, it should, BUT it doesn't.

I know you're getting frustrated drft_n_sc, but I'm frustrated too.

Still I thank you for trying to help me. This is a good forum and it is members like you that will still try to help even though it may seem obvious that make this such an informative forum.

Thanks
-David
Old 02-27-09, 10:13 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

i'm not trying to be mean, i understand that you want your car running the way it should and you are probably getting frustrated, i don't have a problem helping you ...

look i will hook up my SAFC NEO to my brothers SC400 over the weekend and i will let you know how things turned out ...

i know that a typed mssg doesn't show any kind of emotion and i just want to make sure that you don't read it in a different way than intended
Old 02-28-09, 12:55 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

KS is pin 66 and Vc is pin 41. E1 ground is still pin 69. The diagrams are correct according to SC300/SC400 Manual.

Can you post a pic of the NEO's harness and wire colors?
Old 02-28-09, 01:03 AM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Btw, I found this

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/apex-afc...t-work-419786/
Old 02-28-09, 02:32 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shajbot
That could be something. That would explain a lot. I'll check what my version number is tomorrow.
Originally Posted by shajbot
KS is pin 66 and Vc is pin 41. E1 ground is still pin 69. The diagrams are correct according to SC300/SC400 Manual.

Can you post a pic of the NEO's harness and wire colors?
There is a pic of it on the first post. Here is a quick link:
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3949/diagram.jpg

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
i'm not trying to be mean, i understand that you want your car running the way it should and you are probably getting frustrated, i don't have a problem helping you ...

look i will hook up my SAFC NEO to my brothers SC400 over the weekend and i will let you know how things turned out ...

i know that a typed mssg doesn't show any kind of emotion and i just want to make sure that you don't read it in a different way than intended
Naw man, i'm not taking it the wrong way, I see where your coming from. I am thankful your willing to do all this much to help me out. Let me know how that install goes. Don't forget to check what the version number is, and what year the sc400 is.
^^^apparently if its 1.13 or less it may have problems. according to that link^^^^

One thing i found out when testing the AFC is that it would register a "fake" Karman signal when I would pulsate a grounded connection to the black/white wire. But would register nothing when pulsating a 5V source.

When everything was connected properly on my car, it did give me a Check Engine Light: CEL: P0100 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction.
Old 02-28-09, 03:01 AM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same exact thing happened to my SAFC, when I was going NA-T. I have a 1994 gs300 (2jzge) . Itd start and die out , as though it was running extremely rich, after trying every combination of PIN diagrams , settings etc... I decided to send it in to APEXI to get it checked out. Turns out it was defective, all sensor wires worked except the karman/pressure wires. Call APEXI first, ship it to there orange county location, theyll let you know if its defective and then you have the option of letting them keep it, or having them ship it back (Include postage so they dont have to pay).
Old 02-28-09, 08:21 AM
ConSynX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm not reading all of this, but after you make sure you have it wires correctly, make sure you have the right settings for the input and output on your sensor that detects airflow.
Old 02-28-09, 04:08 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

the ecu pinouts that you have in post 1 look different to the one in the apexi SAFC install PDF.
Attached Thumbnails Apexi AFC Neo Help! Car Starts, Rough Idle, Then Stall-apexisafc2pin.jpg  
Old 02-28-09, 04:19 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

94.1 - 95.4 use the T8-a pinout
Attached Thumbnails Apexi AFC Neo Help! Car Starts, Rough Idle, Then Stall-apexisafc2pin2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Apexi AFC Neo Help! Car Starts, Rough Idle, Then Stall