Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

in need of serious help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 06:54 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of serious help

ok i have a 95 auto sc300 and i was just cruising down the highway and out of no where this car tried to switch into my lane goin super slow so i had to brake really hard... idk how it happened but my shifter went to nuetral by itsself.. i didnt noticed it so i gunned it trying to get by the stupid driver and just redlined since it was in nuetral.. so i put it back to drive.. and drove normally at 60... out of no where the car started bogging when i try to stay at a constant speed... i pulled over and revved it and it was fine but when i give it a constant gas it boggs.. oh and the exhaust is blowin black smoke... i have no cats so the smell is usually bad but this time it was really strong..i eventually made it home and me and my dad started working on it right away and sorry if the pics and vid r blurry all from celly

here is wat we have done so far
checked air flow sensor... it was fine
checked spark plugs.. all was pretty burned so we replace but still have the problem
oh made sure the plugs were dry
found this wire cut it goes to a sensor behind the fan.. we didnt know what sensor it was for but we fixed it and reconnect and didnt do any difference

checked all fuses and all were good
the check engine light wasnt lit but we check the code and it gave me a very weird one... the check engine and the trac light jsut keeps blinking witout stopping (here a vid of it)
View My Video

oh heres the vid of it while we were checking it out as u can see the black smoke and the idle.. sorry if the sound isnt working
View My Video

Last edited by flipboi; 02-27-09 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 07:05 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or when you rev it up to 2k rpms it sound's like there's a weird mechanical noise? I can't really tell
Old 02-24-09, 07:12 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyanV
Is it just me or when you rev it up to 2k rpms it sound's like there's a weird mechanical noise? I can't really tell
that sound is the bogging... in the engine bay it sound regualr just that its bogging... well the is a ticking sound that i heard form the throttle body i forgot if it was constant or not.. but i wasnt sure if it was normally cause my dad didnt say anything about it
Old 02-24-09, 09:19 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

bad mass air flow sensor...how did you check it?

Sparkplugs didn't smell like gas at all?? check oil, does it smell of gas?
Old 02-24-09, 09:40 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

is there anything noticeable while accelerating?
Old 02-24-09, 09:46 PM
sc300s13
Driver

bad maf.......
Old 02-24-09, 09:58 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

i checked my maf by replacing it wit my other good condition sc300 lol and no i didnt check the oil... i do think its running too rich thats y the exhaust smells so bad and my sparkplug #4 was wet wit soething i didnt smell it but my dad just said oil.. maybe it is gas.. wat if it is? what should i do? and i figured out wat blinking check engine light mean lol it means no code
Old 02-25-09, 08:27 AM
attis
Driver School Candidate

I'm no pro, but imho the black smoke can mean rich. But there should be a code when the car runs on rich... I guess the O2 sensors should be able to notice that... if it is possible check them... it could be that they are not working as they should, and reporting lean mixture to the ECU, which adds some more gas
Old 02-25-09, 09:45 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, so is the car running in limp mode then? Try unplugging the negative battery terminal for abit then reconnecting and try again.

Need to know 100% why the plug was wet...was it gas(means you are running insanely rich)
Old 02-25-09, 09:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

nice car
Old 02-25-09, 10:23 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you pull any codes?
Old 02-25-09, 10:23 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I would disconnect the maf and see if the car changes the way it runs. If the CEL is constantly blinking that means it doesn't have a stored code.
Old 02-25-09, 02:21 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by attis
I'm no pro, but imho the black smoke can mean rich. But there should be a code when the car runs on rich... I guess the O2 sensors should be able to notice that... if it is possible check them... it could be that they are not working as they should, and reporting lean mixture to the ECU, which adds some more gas
hmm im goin to check that cause i have aftermarket headers and i couldnt put both o2 sensor on and only have one on wit both the connectors hooked into it so the check engine light wont turn on and like ihiryu said theres no stored codes in the ecu...

and yeah i disconnected the battry alrdy and nothing changed... i put everything back together so i guess imma re disassemble it to check y the plug was wet
Old 02-25-09, 02:26 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

oh btw tyvm guys for the input keep them comin and hopefully she will run strong again
Old 02-25-09, 03:50 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipboi
oh btw tyvm guys for the input keep them comin and hopefully she will run strong again
Heavy black smoke, has to be fuel issue, the car is running to rich. Either the maf is at fault or O2 sensors. Could be an ignition miss as well, which can also explain the wet plug. (in that case wires, distributor, and coil need to be checked)

Most probably O2 sensor issue, esp due to your aftermarket modification, you need to be running sim's or a piggyback having deleted the cats, and removing the post sensors.

Quick Reply: in need of serious help