Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Annoying noise I can't track down.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 05:26 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Annoying noise I can't track down.

I have this noise coming from my car that I do not know what it is and it's hard to explain but i'll try. It sounds like metal rattling or vibrating. It does it mostly going starting slowly from a stop or under moderate acceleration. It is 2x easier for me to hear it while driving if I am next to a curb/wall/fence ect because the sound reflects back at me. It sounds like thin tin can or something. The second I let off of the gas pedal it goes away. Also sometimes when I am sitting still it will hear what seems to be the same noise but not as loud or fast as when I am accelerating. However when it does this at a stop and I slightly turn my steering wheel it will stop (about an inch or more). My best guess is that it is one of the pumps or a cat converter but I can not figure it out, especially being in the car when it mainly happens. Do any of you have recommendations on how I can track this down and pin point the noise.
Old 02-14-09, 05:34 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know, when i was in high school i used to tie tin cans to the bottom of peoples cars, so when theyd drive it make em nuts, but when they stopped the sound would go away. haha, that was hilarious.

but anyhow, one of the heat shields on the exhaust might be loose. that happened to me when i first got the car. so check on that.
Old 02-14-09, 05:46 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Where on the exhaust are the shields located. It sounds like its coming from the right side.
Old 02-14-09, 06:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this EXACT same problem, I know exactly what your talking about. For me it sounds like its coming from right behind the radio, somewhere deep in the bowels of the car's guts lol..
I was also told it could have something to do with the exhaust. Lemme know if you figure it out and fix it.
Old 02-14-09, 09:46 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I have this EXACT same problem, I know exactly what your talking about. For me it sounds like its coming from right behind the radio, somewhere deep in the bowels of the car's guts lol..
I was also told it could have something to do with the exhaust. Lemme know if you figure it out and fix it.
Will do. Tomorrow afternoon I am going to jack it up and poke around to see if I can tell what the problem is.
Old 02-15-09, 12:33 AM
Peter_95
Lexus Champion

you know what? i had that same exact noise you are describing... i had no idea where exactly it was coming from, but when i changed my suspension, the noise went away, so im guessing it could be a bolt that may need tightening again....
Old 02-15-09, 05:45 AM
blacice83
Rookie

I had a noise under mine once. It was the heats sheild off of the Cadillac converter. the weld had broken and it would rattle when i started to give the car gas. Go under and check that out, it might be something that simple.
Old 02-15-09, 10:18 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

i was thinkig heat shield also/check out exhaust system also may have broken or loose u clamp or something
Old 02-15-09, 11:10 AM
Billy305
Advanced

I appriciate all of the input. I am going to go over the exhaust system today and see if I can figure it out. I will have a buddy turn the wheel slowly to try and replicate the sound while I'm on the ground to figure it out. Ill let you all know if I fix it later.
Old 02-15-09, 01:45 PM
twin lex
Driver

Originally Posted by Peter_95
you know what? i had that same exact noise you are describing... i had no idea where exactly it was coming from, but when i changed my suspension, the noise went away, so im guessing it could be a bolt that may need tightening again....
Not suspension mine does the same thing and i installed coilovers, let me know what you come up with.
Old 02-15-09, 04:05 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Moved to engine section

Most likely exhaust heatshield as mentioned above.
Old 02-16-09, 01:25 PM
ralsty
Rookie

I have the same type sound coming from my car (96 - SC300). I think its from the exhaust heat shield about middle of the car (front to back or side to side). It looks like a small cover broke loose and rattles when I accelerate. Its annoying. Should I just remove it?
Old 02-16-09, 07:08 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Its the catalytic converter material broken up and rattling inside... there is a couple threads around here about it. on my old SC, i cut out the cat with a sawzall and brought it to an exhaust shop and had them weld in a stright pipe. It solved all the rattling noises and only cost me 50 bucks
Old 02-20-09, 11:11 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just changed my oil, and while I was at it I ripped a loose heat shield off. Annoying sound is gone! :-)
You dont need it, just find the one thats rattling and pry it off.
Old 02-26-09, 05:03 PM
Billy305
Advanced

UPDATE

I still have no found the noise but I think I found the right area that it is coming from. Below is a pic that is someone elses (not sure who's) it isnt mine but its easier to show where. I took a wooden dowel and held it to my ear and when I touch it to the red spot, its really really loud, the yellow spots its there really strong too but not as much. I can hear it when I touch it a little higher to the engine but not as loud so I do not believe it is inside the motor. I also check what I could of the head shields but couldnt find any rattling. I check with the dowel while my friend held the brake and touched the gas till the sound came. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Annoying noise I can't track down.