Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

complicated starting problem, need expert advice please

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-09, 09:28 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default complicated starting problem, need expert advice please

well guys im totally stumped, i have a 97 lexus sc300 auto. about 6 months ago the ac comp locked up on me completely and caused alot of smoke due to the belt still spinning the pulley or what not, so the car became really undrivable cz everytime i would start the car it would just start smoking from the ac comp and stuff, so i got frustrated and parked the car in the drivaway. then a few days later my father passed away and got really busy with his funeral, taking care of my mother and little sisters and stuff...sooo my sc300 just sat and sat and sat until today, not being even touched for almost 6 whole months. well today, didnt even bother starting the car first since i assumed the battery was prolly dead and went ahead and put in a new ac comp, new drivebelt, etc...now that i was done it was time to start the car up...put the key in and all i heard was the starter clicking. obviously the car needed a jump right? well thats what i thought too...well i hooked up the jumper cables and waited a bit and instead of starting, the motor just kept spinning?! no starter clicking? at this point i was still quite calm and just assumed that i blew the starter relay, i unhooked the jumper cables and since i had a spare working starter relay, i threw a new relay on my sc300 and threw back my jumper cable and still the same problem!?!? motor is spinning and starter not clicking...so now im thinking the starter is bad, so in frustration i took off the jumper cable and just sat in my driver seat thinking and thinking and thinking and just for the hell of it, i turned the key and to my surprise the starter was clicking again!! but the motor wasnt spinning anymore...keep in mind, the jumper cable wasnt on now...so i hooked the jumper cable back on and tried to start the car again and dammit, motor spinning and no starter clicking, took the cables off and starter clicking and no motor spinning, and repeated this process several times and i just cant figure out why my car wont start...i know for a fact that the ac comp was put on right, so was the drivebelt, the alt is still good, the starter is still good since it clicks when i take off the jumper cables...what in the world could be wrong with my car...i checked the starter relay several times and put in 3 different relays and i am completely stumped, pease please help out guys, i love my lexus and i really want her up and running again.

thanks guys,
zeeshaun
Old 02-08-09, 10:45 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try buying a new starter, you might just have to clean all the contact points. also clean your battery terminals/ ground. good luck
Old 02-09-09, 10:25 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jdmJZA70
well guys im totally stumped, i have a 97 lexus sc300 auto. about 6 months ago the ac comp locked up on me completely and caused alot of smoke due to the belt still spinning the pulley or what not, so the car became really undrivable cz everytime i would start the car it would just start smoking from the ac comp and stuff, so i got frustrated and parked the car in the drivaway. then a few days later my father passed away and got really busy with his funeral, taking care of my mother and little sisters and stuff...sooo my sc300 just sat and sat and sat until today, not being even touched for almost 6 whole months. well today, didnt even bother starting the car first since i assumed the battery was prolly dead and went ahead and put in a new ac comp, new drivebelt, etc...now that i was done it was time to start the car up...put the key in and all i heard was the starter clicking. obviously the car needed a jump right? well thats what i thought too...well i hooked up the jumper cables and waited a bit and instead of starting, the motor just kept spinning?! no starter clicking? at this point i was still quite calm and just assumed that i blew the starter relay, i unhooked the jumper cables and since i had a spare working starter relay, i threw a new relay on my sc300 and threw back my jumper cable and still the same problem!?!? motor is spinning and starter not clicking...so now im thinking the starter is bad, so in frustration i took off the jumper cable and just sat in my driver seat thinking and thinking and thinking and just for the hell of it, i turned the key and to my surprise the starter was clicking again!! but the motor wasnt spinning anymore...keep in mind, the jumper cable wasnt on now...so i hooked the jumper cable back on and tried to start the car again and dammit, motor spinning and no starter clicking, took the cables off and starter clicking and no motor spinning, and repeated this process several times and i just cant figure out why my car wont start...i know for a fact that the ac comp was put on right, so was the drivebelt, the alt is still good, the starter is still good since it clicks when i take off the jumper cables...what in the world could be wrong with my car...i checked the starter relay several times and put in 3 different relays and i am completely stumped, pease please help out guys, i love my lexus and i really want her up and running again.

thanks guys,
zeeshaun
"motor spinning and no starter clicking" This statement contradicts itself.

If you are saying the motor is cranking, well your starter is cranking it.

Your starter is ok. Your battary is dead, that is why when you took off the cables you hear a click. This is the starter solenoid working, but not enough juice to kick out the spur gear to engage the fly wheel.

Your problem lies elsewhere.

Basic things to check for when your car doesnt start.

DO YOU HAVE FUEL?: Turn your car to the "on" position (not the "start" position) Listen for a whining sound coming from behind your rear seats. That is the fuel pump priming. If you don't hear anything. I would check the EFI relay first then work yourself back to your pump. Also might want to do th 12 v mod and see if that works. Search for it in this forum

DO YOU HAVE SPARK?: You can test this easily by taking out one of your plugs with the spark plug wire still attached and grounding the end out on the engine. I use my lifting hooks to ground it. Also make sure your in the correct firing order.

VALVE TIMING OFF? : This is less likely as you have to **** with your timing belt for this to be off. But yea, car won't start unless it is timed correctly. Luckily its non interference so you are not destroying anything.

Hope I'm not missing anything. Good luck and condolences to your family.
Old 02-09-09, 04:53 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

thanks for ur replies and condolences : )

well i remember hearing my fuel pump whining, so the pump is working, i have half tank of gas in the car, the EFI relay is also good, so the motor is getting proper fuel...

i did check for spark last night and i did exactly what you mentioned about grounding the wire and its all fine and dandy, so spark is good too

now i had a feeling it could be the battery last night but i was so frustrated by last night that i gave up trying to start it, plus it started raining so i called it a night...

i do have a good battery in my garage somwhere so i will try that and hope my baby fires up, cross ur fingers

again, thanks everyone for all ur help, greatly appreciated
-zeeshaun
Old 02-09-09, 11:31 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

car is up and running!!!! it ended up being the battery...thanks for the help, u guys are awsome!!!

-zeeshaun