Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A few questions about my tranny and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 08:17 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions about my tranny and other stuff

Let me start by saying I love this forum but I hate it just as much lol. I love it here because of all the knowledge in the threads, I hate because I find myself wasting hours of my life sitting infront of my computer reading useless banter. Sometimes I logging on to do research and find myself in Off Topic reading about someones food or puppies lol, damn you all lol.

Let me get to the point of this post, I have been reading different things on here for a few hours and gained a TON of useful info that I can use this Spring/Summer when I tear into my SC300. In the coming months I plan on starting to rebuild my SC to be comfortable, classy and QUIET. I will not be boosting it anywhere in the near future (maybe later), this going to be a daily driver. Right now I have noticed the following issues:

1. Bad struts and control arms (Whats the most comfortable struts, Tokico?)
2. Oil from rear of engine ( I think RMS)
3. Slightly rough shifts (I'm think bad TQ, I'm going to replace fluid again and filter)
4. A TON of noise at highway speeds from all areas (Seals)
5. Code P0385 (already ordered CPS)
6. Exhaust Leak

So for having about 180k it is doing fairly well and this is why I want to get as much taken care of as I can.
What I have been contemplating is since I'm going to be replacing the following parts:

-Water Pump
-Thermostat
-Timing Belt
-Tensioners
-Cam Seals
-Struts
-Front Control Arms
-Exhaust

Should I also go ahead and replace the Head Gasket? I'm not having any problems with the head that I know of, but since I'm going to be *** deep in the engine already do you think it is worth changing it? Last summer I change my VCG and plugs/wires so I was about 80% there lol.........

My issue with changing the HG is I'm scared of f'ing something up being that I have never done it before. Reading the online manual and posts on here it seems pretty straight forward, but I dont know if it's worth risking it when I don't think there is an issue with it. On the other hand I REALLY dont want to have to go into the engine again unless I'm going Turbo lol.

IS there anything else I should look into replacing or fixing to reach my goals? I'm also wondering if it would just be better to sell the car or do an engine swap, but I'm really not sure what would be best?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 02-26-09 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-08-09, 08:35 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-09, 05:38 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably time for a new radiator. Get an aluminum one off Ebay. $200 shipped
Toyota full engine gasket kit
Driveshaft ujoints & round rubber diff flange are probably worn out.

That's all I can think of right now.
Old 02-09-09, 10:35 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
It's probably time for a new radiator. Get an aluminum one off Ebay. $200 shipped
Toyota full engine gasket kit
Driveshaft ujoints & round rubber diff flange are probably worn out.

That's all I can think of right now.
The only gasket I'm a bit worried about changing is the Front Main Seal because I keep reading horror stories about bad leaks after changing.
Old 02-26-09, 09:39 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Bump for updates
Old 03-14-09, 04:50 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Bump maybe there be some help now lol
Old 03-14-09, 10:53 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly if you're really worried about doing some of this stuff yourself i would just find a mechanic who has the experience to do this stuff. I would just leave the head gasket alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?). You can run low boost on the stock HG whenever you want to go turbo and when you're ready to crank up the boost **** then go out and change the HG for a thicker one. That or you could skip it all together and start looking for an engine swap...
Old 03-17-09, 01:33 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
honestly if you're really worried about doing some of this stuff yourself i would just find a mechanic who has the experience to do this stuff. I would just leave the head gasket alone (if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?). You can run low boost on the stock HG whenever you want to go turbo and when you're ready to crank up the boost **** then go out and change the HG for a thicker one. That or you could skip it all together and start looking for an engine swap...
I understand what you mean about the mechanic, but as long as I have a decent walk through I should be fine. I felt the same way when I did my VCG and remote start lol..................I worry before I get into it.

I really was thinking about the engine swap, thing is why would swap when this engine is pretty good?