Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300- full tank to dead dry average

Old 02-07-09, 09:57 AM
v-empire
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300- full tank to dead dry average

i ve never changed the oil or did a tune up on my car since the day i ve got it ( 4 months ago) and been driving it everyday. i drive about 120 miles a day and have put on about 10k miles already.

full tanks is about 19.3 gallons give or take when i fill up at the tank.

i ve gotten about 310- 360 miles on the full tank.

as far as i know the oil, tranny fluids, and plugs, wires, belts (which squeels along with the tensioner bearing i think) etc have been in the car since 2005, not sure if it was replaced before it sat or not and i have reason to suspect it has been in shallow waters or hurricane Katrina coz i had to cut out all the arms and replace them. i ve changed out the radiator fluid only coz the radiator was cracked.

its probably time to do a nice tune up on the car.. just wondering what sort of gas mileage you guys get despite what the peeps say on the dealer sticker? or is it normal?

gas mileage seems kinda crappy for a stock car to me.. lol.. but i dunno, i ve never driven one this much on the sc300 till i got this one, just wondering..

so i can look forward to my first oil change and new spark plugs.

Last edited by v-empire; 02-07-09 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 01:00 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Ok first of all never allow your oil changes to go over 5,000 miles. Secondly you need to have all the belts checked, if the timing belt breaks then your entire car is totaled. You wont be driving very much anymore if you don't keep up on the service of these vehicles. Sure the Lexus motors are indestructible under normal wear....but neglect will kill anything. Please do us a favor and keep up on the proper treatment of this car. Your millage should increase but that is the least of your problems right now.
Old 02-07-09, 01:21 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

I generally get 27ish on the highway and 20ish in the city with my '99 SC3. And for the love of god, CHANGE YOUR OIL.
Old 02-07-09, 01:44 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

wow i wish i got that much... i only get 17mph
Old 02-07-09, 01:59 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

oil change. now.
Old 02-07-09, 02:11 PM
blkonblksc
Rookie

26 highway. I once got 495 miles on one tank (wanted to hit 500 but didn't have the ***** to try).
Old 02-07-09, 02:12 PM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

The first thing I do when I buy a car is changed all belts, change all fluids and inspect the car... you mean to tell me you bought a car and thought it was okay to drive for 10K miles without doing anything?

Never take any ones word for it unless they have a dealer reciept backing it up. People will say anything for a sale unfortunately knowing most people are gulliable. Get that car in for service immediately.
Old 02-07-09, 02:56 PM
v-empire
Driver

i will change it tomorrow while i change out some rear suspension parts.
i ll change out the tranny fluids too.. lol

i wont be mad if the motor blows, it will give me an excuse to install the turbo motor in it.

so you would say so some of you are getting 27 on average????

thats about 513 miles???? woah!! maybe the oil and tune up will help. lets see..

oh, anyways, i took it out last saturday and drove the crap out of it!!!

redline banging all day, went thru 2 sets of tires in the rear, from 8 pm - 6 pm with some breaks in between. this chassis slides nice. car a little underpowered but its ok.

pulling the interior out today, i m redoing my leather seats and dyeing some interior pieces, steam cleaning carpets, and fiberglassing some stuff..
Old 02-07-09, 03:46 PM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by v-empire
so you would say so some of you are getting 27 on average????

thats about 513 miles???? woah!! maybe the oil and tune up will help. lets see..
Definitely not averaging 27 right now. If I drove 100% highway, maybe. At the moment I'm doing almost 100% winter city driving and I get around 16.
Old 02-07-09, 04:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Oh my head.......... not another frikkin gas mileage thread. Use the one with 400+ posts please........

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-07-09 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 07:53 PM
v-empire
Driver

thanks for moving the thread and sorry about the recurring topic.

i ve never own once long enough to actually care about it til now, because i sold my other daily driver.

i m just wondering because it says about 19-23 mpg on the sticker so i was told, but it seems too inefficient for an under powered toyota in comparison with other stuff they ve been making.

maybe this motor wasnt really designed for this chassis even tho the sc300 was designed in the USA, if i recall correctly? doesnt the sc400 do about the same, with more tq and power? doesnt the jdm 2jgte make about the same mpg?

on a tank that big, i will like to assume it can go at least 400-450 miles before refilling.
i was hoping that the sticker was an underestimate, and that my car was performing horribly because of the lack of maintenance.

i ll check it in a few days after the tune up.. just would like to know how others are doing or noticed a change in a few efficiency mods?
Old 02-07-09, 08:04 PM
v-empire
Driver

Originally Posted by captainsc
Ok first of all never allow your oil changes to go over 5,000 miles. Secondly you need to have all the belts checked, if the timing belt breaks then your entire car is totaled. You wont be driving very much anymore if you don't keep up on the service of these vehicles. Sure the Lexus motors are indestructible under normal wear....but neglect will kill anything. Please do us a favor and keep up on the proper treatment of this car. Your millage should increase but that is the least of your problems right now.
Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
oil change. now.
Originally Posted by Rippaflow
The first thing I do when I buy a car is changed all belts, change all fluids and inspect the car... you mean to tell me you bought a car and thought it was okay to drive for 10K miles without doing anything?

Never take any ones word for it unless they have a dealer reciept backing it up. People will say anything for a sale unfortunately knowing most people are gulliable. Get that car in for service immediately.
haha... thanks guys for the concern, i was just pushing it to see if would blow up under normal conditions. i will change the oil, change out the tensioner bearing as it seems to be making some noise now, fluids, spark plugs, belt etc, maybe even a timing belt. if i get motivated. just didnt think the car would make it that long without a tune up.. lol

but it has and it drives awesome even with hours of red line, power shifting, clutch kicking drifting. i m surprise that clutch held up up til today, frankly.

Originally Posted by blkonblksc
26 highway. I once got 495 miles on one tank (wanted to hit 500 but didn't have the ***** to try).
that's at least decently normal for an inline 6cyl-NA saloon or large coupe.
if you ve gotten that before, then i must be able to get that.

most days i m running 18 x 9s & 10s staggered, with a moderate street alignment and tire pressure, less oil friction and proper spark, i ll mess with timing a little and i ll throw it on my dyno, and see if i can get those numbers.

that i can live with, other wise i ll try to blow the motor up faster, so i can replace with more fun gas wasting motor that i can justify such crappy gas mileage.
Old 02-08-09, 06:23 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The SC fuel tank capacity should be 20.6 gallons. The last average I recorded for my 93 sc300 was about 16.8 mpg, which was 90% street driving. IMO, not too bad considering the age and factory rating of 18 street and 23 highway.

I believe 92-95 sc300 came with non-interference engines, so your engine won't mess up if the timing belt breaks. On the other hand, it iwould be pretty dangerous if it breaks while you are driving especially on the highway since you would be stuck on the road/stranded/accident.
Old 02-10-09, 10:08 AM
v-empire
Driver

ok, on sunday, i did spark plugs, oil change, cleaned out my throttle body and some vacuum, filled all my subframe bushings and diff bushings with polyurethane- car rides so much better and the 2 way diff is so much more predictable and consistent.

a reminder, this was from a car with no maintenance since 2005 averaging 320-360 full tank to dead out ran out of gas on the highway deal.

lets see if it helped my gas mileage on this POS
Old 02-10-09, 05:06 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change your oil man.... do all the maintenance please.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC300- full tank to dead dry average