ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Performance & Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance-33/)
-   -   Airbag light is on......... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/performance-and-maintenance/40735-airbag-light-is-on.html)

Din 03-03-02 01:33 PM

Airbag light is on.........

Jsut got the Sc300 yesterday and the airbag has been on since I bought it? How can I reset that light?

cupete 03-03-02 03:37 PM

Don't worry, my car has that warning light on too and I had the car for over 3 years. There is an instruction on how to reset somewhere in this forum but didn't bother to go through the trouble.

Peter~

VQT 03-03-02 06:44 PM

Re: Airbag light is on.........

What year SC300? The following is for 93 SC400. Hopefully, someone with a 300 manual can confirm it's the same procedure.

First, you need to know the trouble code.
use a paper clip and stick in the Tc & E1 of the DLC2 after you turn the ignition on for ~20sec. (do not start the engine). If the light blink continuosly or code 22, you may cancel the light. If it is any other code, you need to trouble shoot it and fix the problem.

To clear the code connect two wires to Tc and AB of the DLC2. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and wait ~6 sec. Start with Tc terminal, apply to body ground alternately to Tc and AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +- 0.5 sec. Finally keep Tc to ground, if the clearing is done properly the AirBag light will blink in a 50msec (continously). If if did not, repeat the procedure (you didn't ground the Tc and AB properly.

Other codes shown, you need a repair manual to troubleshoot.

Originally posted by Din
Jsut got the Sc300 yesterday and the airbag has been on since I bought it? How can I reset that light?

Ryan 03-04-02 04:18 PM

VQT is right. It is hard to believe this will fix it, but it is true. It will likely take you a few times. The error is usually caused by turning the ignition while the dash display (speedometer, etc) is disconnected. Good Luck!

Din 03-04-02 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Airbag light is on.........

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VQT
[B]What year SC300? The following is for 93 SC400. Hopefully, someone with a 300 manual can confirm it's the same procedure.

use a paper clip and stick in the Tc & E1 of the DLC2 after you turn the ignition on for ~20sec. (do not start the engine). If the light blink continuosly or code 22, you may cancel the light. If it is any other code, you need to trouble shoot it and fix the problem.

To clear the code connect two wires to Tc and AB of the DLC2. Turn the ignition to ACC or ON and wait ~6 sec. Start with Tc terminal, apply to body ground alternately to Tc and AB twice each in cycles of 1.0 +- 0.5 sec. Finally keep Tc to ground, if the clearing is done properly the AirBag light will blink in a 50msec (continously). If if did not, repeat the procedure (you didn't ground the Tc and AB properly.

Other codes shown, you need a repair manual

Its a 95SC300

where can i find this TC&E1 stuff?

VQT 03-04-02 05:20 PM

There are two of them. One is under the dash and the other is under the hood. The one I told you is under the dash above your left knee. Look for a round thing with a cap cover up side down, open it and it will show exactly where are the Tc, E1, AB... use two paper clip push in the holes then connect wires to the paper clip then the other end of the wires are a sharp points so you can push into the car metal body to ground.

To test for code, only use one paper clip and stick in the Tc and E2 hole to count the no. of flashes.

You really need to buy a shop manual for this. I don't think anyone from this forum know enough to help you without you having a repair manual yourself.

It's the price for driving used car. All my cars have the factory shop manual:)

krazyazzlexus 05-14-02 11:35 PM

me too

i have had my airbag lights on for over 2 yrs..never bothered to reset code....:o

007 03-03-03 04:02 AM

Originally posted by VQT
What year SC300? The following is for 93 SC400. Hopefully, someone with a 300 manual can confirm it's the same procedure.

VQT... or anyone with the answer....When i contacted Tc & E1 the light did not blink continuously, rather it went blink blink (1 sec pause) blink blink (pause) blink blink (pause) does this mean code 22 or is this a different code. Because i tried the method to clear the airbag light but it did not work. BTW my care is a 93' GS 300. Does anyone have any suggestions?:egads:

VQT 03-03-03 12:03 PM

That's sound like code 22 so you are ok. Try to clear the code again by using Tc and AB ports. I had more detail of how to do this somewhere in the forum. It may be in the maintenance section or LS400...

007 03-03-03 04:54 PM

Okay thanks i will give it another try late tonight or tmw.

lex400sc 06-12-03 07:53 PM

Originally posted by VQT

I just did this procedure to the T about six times and it doesn't work. The airbag did blink in a 50msec cycle continuously, but that doesn't make the light go away. It just stays on like normal. After the blinking, are you supposed to remove the ground wire from Tc? Start the engine with it connected? Pull all the wires out?

Did this procedure work for anyone? :confused:

NRG 06-13-03 02:43 AM

i tired this a few months back. and it didnt work.
but i never tried to code it out.. ill probably do that tomorrow.
hope i dont have a bad sensor somewhere.. the car did have a minor fender bender. but the airbags never blew.

lex400sc 06-13-03 10:45 AM

I did the E1 + Tc diagnosis and all I got was the Airbag light blinking. Where is Code 22 supposed to appear?

Ryan 06-13-03 11:49 AM

The code doesn't appear, it flashes, kinda like morse code but simpler. It's been a few years, but if I remember correctly, it goes flash, flash, pause, flash, flash - indicating 2 and 2 - then it loops. I don't have the codes on hand, but 22 is the one that get's cleared with the above instructions.

Here is a realistic way to do this. Go get some wire that is about the right gauge to fit in the TC and AB holes. Cut the wire so that each one is about 4 feet. Cut off the plastic coating off the two ends of each wire with a wire stripper. Stick a wire into each hole, but do not touch the ends to anything or each other. Sit in your seat comfortably - you are going to be here for a while (5-10 minutes at best 30+ minutes worst). Now open the cigarette lighter and take it out and place it in the ashtray. Now as Red Foreman would say, don't be a dumb ass and stick your finger in there. You can use the metal on the outside portion of the lighter socket as ground since the car is a negative/ground system.

Now touch the wires to the metal on the lighter socket as described above. It's like being a slow drummer with your little wires. Touch TC to ground, wait a second, then AB to ground, wait a second, now TC again, then AB, then finish with TC and keep it on ground. If you do it right, you will see the light quickly start blinking giving you a little confirmation and then it goes away. You may have to try this 10 or 20 times before you get it right.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this - don't - just take it to the dealer and have them clear the code. If you don't know the history of the car, I would especially caution you to go to the dealer and have them inspect the airbag system. It's your safety people - don't be cheap on that stuff. I caused the fault myself and I know why, so I felt good about clearing the error myself.

Update: I had to do this once again recently. I found that 1 full sec touch of each wire was a little too long. When I touched them faster (i.e. about 1/2 a sec.) it worked the first time.

NRG 06-15-03 07:45 PM

w00t, my airbag light is gone!!
i just touched the ground on my ignition
TC.. AB.. TC.. AB.. then hold on TC.. and the airbag light blink like very fast, then i let it go, then it turned off..
it took me about 5 times..