Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 1jzgte swap thread pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-09, 10:18 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure..

I did read last night where someone had a similar issue for months, and it turned out to be a bad fuel regulator on the sid eof the block, once he bypassed it, problem solved..

I'm wondering if mine may be partially clogged up.

The reason I think it may be the knock sensor is that is runs similar to the way my old car did when the knock sensor was bad. In this case the 2jxge knock may be overly sensitive. I'm shooting in the dark here too, but I want to eliminate the knock sensor variable anyhow..
Old 03-04-09, 12:06 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you going to try to bypass while you wait on the knock sensor? I am thinking I might do the same as well. It would make sense as it would limit the fuel.

My thought is why only when warm?
Old 03-04-09, 08:52 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like the monkey in your sig right now...

I found a vac leak in the FPR hose...but that didn't change anything when I replaced it.

I'm going to do the knock sensor so that I know it's right.

I've also got a 1jz MAP sensor on the way.

I'm also thinking new coils couldn't hurt, and they are in stock for $220 for the set.
Old 03-05-09, 06:49 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I think I may know what's up, possibly.

I used a 2jzgte crank pulley and they are not identical to the 1jzgte according to toymods.net research. The 1jzgte has a cast center and the 2jz has an alloy center. The 1jz pulley is heavier, and I'm thinking the timing marks may be slightly different..although I haven't found info backing this up yet.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28330

Hmm...
Old 03-05-09, 07:04 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I just checked, and yes the timing mark is in the same place on the 1jz-gte and 2jz-gte ones I have (pics above).

very last post on the page...sorry I would not think that the weight difference would do this...

I am hoping it is the MAF sensor since it is kinda acting like it is having a MAF issue...when do you get that in...
Old 03-05-09, 08:30 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

If the guy ships it today, I should have a map early next week. I did find people running 2jz crank pulleys on the 1jz as well with no issues.

I'm debating whether or not to go ahead and get the coils....
Old 03-05-09, 09:02 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I would hold off on the coils to be honest. Removing the coils did make a difference and you also tested with mine. That would mean that both of ours are the same amount damaged but not dead which is highly unlikely.

I will bring you the correct MAP today...I hang my head in shame.
Old 03-07-09, 07:25 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Just as an update-

Zmegoby loaned me a 2jzgte knock sensor, and the car seem's to run better, but its still not right.

I disconnected both knock sensors, miss is still there.

I installed the wal bro fuel pump, didnt change anything

Tried a 2jzgte map sensor, no change

All of the spark plugs seem to have a whitish coating on the very tip. Not sure if it's normal..but my first guess is lean or the fuel additive I put in the tank.

I removed the front CPS and it's caked with oil, and somehow there is oil in the connector. How does oil get into the connector housing??

I'm going to do a compression check tomorrow.
Old 03-07-09, 09:06 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I removed the front CPS, cleaned it really good.

I also did a compression check with a cheesy Oreiilly rental tool. I don't expect that it's totally accurate, but at least I don't have any totally dead cylinders at this time.

155-175max is what I've read is acceptable so I'm at the lower limit with the cheesy gauge.
Cyl1-160
Cyl2-157
Cyl3-157
Cyl4-157
Cyl5-157
Cyl6-164

I went for a cruise and it seem's the car in 3,4 and 5th cruising it pretty smooth.

It seems to only suffer in the lower gears, but it's not breaking up as badly as it was when I first drove it now that I installed a GTE knock sensor, and cleaned up the CPS.

I threw a knock sensor code this last time because I pulled both knock sensors to eliminate them from troubleshooting.

I'm beginning to suspect the fuel pressure reducer or fuel injectors, coils or ECU.

I need to get a inline fuel pressure gauge hooked up this weekend.
Old 03-07-09, 11:43 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

The compression numbers above were on a cold engine. The engine should be warm per the FSmanual

These numbers are MUCH healthier. I did Cyl 6 twice and couldn't get more than 167. So there's an 8psi spread at least between 5 & 6 but the max allowable spread is 14psi between cylinders per the FSM, so this motor should be very good once it's running right.
Cyl1-171
Cyl2-170
Cyl3-173
Cyl4-170
Cyl5-167
Cyl6-175
Old 03-07-09, 03:25 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I'm now trying to find a good 3 wire 7mgte or the Bosch 13909 02 sensor.

I think mine is dead. This could explain why my car doesn't miss until about 30 seconds after startup if the car is completely cold.

I already tried cleaning my 02 sensor and it didn't work.

Also, if I hadn't said it before. I have eliminated the knock sensors from the equation by unplugging both of them, and the issues still persists.
Old 03-07-09, 06:47 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I unplugged the 02 and the problem is still there. I also changed the ECU coolant temp sensor and nothing...

This is fun!
Old 03-07-09, 09:10 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

lol this sucks man...well atleast it sounds like you are getting somewhere with it. You might just want to get a universal o2 and wire it off your connector. Might be the quickest way.
Old 03-08-09, 12:01 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

The universal is $154 bucks! I can use the 3 wire 7mgte 02s as well, which is $100

I'm going to try a different ECU and coils next week.

I don't think it is the Crank angle sensor, for one I didn't damage it during the swap. Usually if they are bad or misaligned the car might not spark or even start. The CAS star gear thing was not loose during the swap either.

Last edited by RyanV; 03-08-09 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 03:08 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Well......I fixed it!

I ordered 6 new coils from Jeff Watson, and when I got home I decided to double check the coil pack wiring before trying out the new coils.

Low and behold, I found 2 pins that were popping out of the coil clips as I plugged them in, and one of the coil clips had the two wires switched around. I fixed these in about 5 min..and no more misfires!

I hope Jeff will let me send the coils back to him :|

Got the exhaust done today. 3" into 2.5" dual Magnaflows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9mX466ryM

I gotta thank B. ZMEGOBY for letting me try out some of his parts for trouble shooting, Kean and Chris at Boost Logic for helping me out over the phone when I knew they were swamped with TX2K9 work..OneJay and CCCT, Dr.Tweak...Supraforums, Supramania

It's been a stressful 2 weeks of troubleshooting, and I can't believe it came down to coil pack wiring...after everything else that I checked, tested and tried. I learned alot about the car though, and I now own brand new spare coils, a spare 1jz ECU and map sensor..DOH!!

Time to finish it off for TX2K9 next week...

Last edited by RyanV; 03-14-09 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: My 1jzgte swap thread pic heavy!