Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Planned: Suprastick and Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 06:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planned: Suprastick and Amsoil

So, it's tax refund time and I have two kids. I'll be getting a rather large refund and plan on taking a small part and putting it towards my car.

I'm planning on going to full synthetic in the trans. Probably Amsoil universal which is said to be compatible with T-IV. I am also considering a mix of the universal fluid and the Amsoil racing ATF fluid. Thoughts?

Also planning on a Suprastick install. There have been 1 or 2 threads on this forum with no follow through on the subject. There is also the belief that it won't work on the SC400 trans with 4 solenoids. This is bull. It should work just fine on any transmission with a cable controlling line pressure. As far as the 4th accumulator backpressure control solenoid, mine has been disconnected for a while now without any problems.

The Suprastick should eliminate the rev bounce problem I have from 1-2. It should also have other benefits. The lockup can be tweaked to do whatever is wanted. Lockup in all gears and during actual shifting would in theory put more power to the ground and decrease shift time.

I would likely use it mostly in auto mode. It is supposed to be capable of using two maps, normal driving and race. The race map would be used mostly at the dragstrip of course and a normal map would be used most of the time. For manual mode, I like the idea of a small joystick or small dpdt switch that returns to center. I don't really like the idea of using the cruise stalk or replacing the steering wheel with one that has buttons.

Hopefully I can get it installed and working before the next 1/4 mile track day.

Let me know what you guys think.

BTW, I will follow through on this thread. I will do my best to come up with wiring instructions on the Suprastick if Latent Solutions doesn't already have them. I would very much like to prove that it will work.

KC
Old 01-26-09, 07:47 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, I was one of the people who said it wouldn't work. i got the info from latent solutions though.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-09, 08:21 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Cool, I was one of the people who said it wouldn't work. i got the info from latent solutions though.

Good luck!
How did you contact them and when? I did email them awhile back and never got a response. I plan on calling tomorrow.

I really think they say it won't work because of the no 4 solenoid. They probably don't feel comfortable telling anyone to disconnect it. I've had mine disconnected for a bit now without problems. A few have said that disconnecting it caused erratic shifting which the Suprastick would take care of anyway. Other than that, I don't see any reason why it won't work.

I'll keep this thread updated although I probably started it a little early. I plan on ordering it pretty much ASAP but I don't know how long it will take to get. Says a 1 week lead time on their website.

KC
Old 01-26-09, 08:41 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chat with garret all the time, he replies pretty fast
Old 01-27-09, 08:26 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So, I actually have a great update already. I just managed to purchase a used (but said to be BNIB) Suprastick for $180 dollars from Supraforums. The guys says he bought it in 2005 and never installed it and has since sold the car. I will likely contact Latent at some point to see about a software update.

Also, plan on ordering my fluid here soon.

KC
Old 01-27-09, 05:47 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

i called them lol. It took a two or three tries but i got em!
Old 01-27-09, 06:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like this project is going to move along much quicker than I originally thought it would.

I managed to pick up a used "BNIB" Suprastick though Supraforums. Guy was asking $180 shipped and I paid an extra $20 to get it here by Friday which would allow a Saturday / Sunday install. $200 all said and done compared to $380 shipped new, needless to say I'm happy about that.

I ordered 10 quarts of Amsoil synthetic trans fluid along with a bottle of lube gaurd from IPT. I plan on doing a machine flush.

Now, I just need to figure out what I want to use to control it in manual mode. I could use some ideas if anyone has any. I was thinking about using a small joystick in the cupholder for shifting, something like this.. http://happcontrols.com/joysticks/ultimate_joy.htm

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 01-27-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 07:03 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
So, I actually have a great update already. I just managed to purchase a used (but said to be BNIB) Suprastick for $180 dollars from Supraforums. The guys says he bought it in 2005 and never installed it and has since sold the car. I will likely contact Latent at some point to see about a software update.

Also, plan on ordering my fluid here soon.

KC

dman thats a come up lucky you i'll be checking back on this thread because I want to use the suprastick on my 2jzga with 1JZ auto trans good luck
Old 01-30-09, 10:14 PM
OMD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing... im planning to use suprastick too.. suprastick in a v8 has been done and worked flawlessly according to a guy in soarercentral..
Old 01-31-09, 04:39 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OMD
Subscribing... im planning to use suprastick too.. suprastick in a v8 has been done and worked flawlessly according to a guy in soarercentral..
Don't quote me but I think the Jap version of the trans only has the three solenoids.

-------------------------------------------

Some updates:

I have the Suprastick. It is an older version (3.1) which I'm somewhat dissapointed about but it should still work for my main purpose for using it, drag racing.

Along with the no 4 solenoid thing, I have found another challenge with hooking the unit up. On the Supra, the lock-up solenoid is sent power from the ECM and is is grounded to the trans case. It is also a simply on / off solenoid. The Lexus lock-up solenoid is grounded by the ECM and has a constant power supply with the ignition on, it is also a linear solenoid controlled using pulsewidth modulation. Seeing how the Suprastick is very likely sending power to the lock-up solenoid to activate it, some extra wiring will be required. I am planning on using two spdt relays to switch the ground and power sources for the solenoid when the Suprastick is turned on. I will wire the relays so that the ground is taken away from the ECU and put straight to ground and so that the power to the solenoid is taken away and switched to the Suprastick wiring. If it works I'll make a diagram.

I haven't had much luck contacting Garret. We played a bit of phone tag Thursday so I decided to email him and he hasn't answered.

Another couple of concerns I have: I don't know if the NE signal will be the same, if it's not the Suprastick will not read RPM correctly. Also, I'm not sure if this older version has any preprogrammed auto mode map or if it simply acts as a pass through allowing the OEM TCU to control things.

My Amsoil fluid has been delayed getting to me. Worst case, I should have it Monday.

I think that's it for now. I'm hoping to start install tonight but I'm not yet sure how it will go so I may or may not get it done this weekend.

KC
Old 01-31-09, 12:48 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

http://www.the12volt.com/relays/page1.asp

something like this?
Old 02-02-09, 08:21 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys, Suprastick is in. What a PITA that turned out to be! I had a few problems and still do have some weird issues I'm going to try and contact Garret about but it does work!

I'll go into more detail later just thought you'd all like to know. I will say that having the converter lock up in first and second gear is a new feeling. It about gave me a heart attack the first time. LOL.

KC
Old 02-02-09, 08:46 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Ok guys, Suprastick is in. What a PITA that turned out to be! I had a few problems and still do have some weird issues I'm going to try and contact Garret about but it does work!

I'll go into more detail later just thought you'd all like to know. I will say that having the converter lock up in first and second gear is a new feeling. It about gave me a heart attack the first time. LOL.

KC

kool when you get all the bugs worked out you should make a vid and show us how it works
Old 02-02-09, 10:16 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

or post up how you got it to work!!!
Old 02-03-09, 05:57 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I will soon guys, vids and explanations.....

Along with problems and weird issues I'm still having.

I only took a short drive to test manual mode but it is working well so far. For now, I have it hooked up to the cruise stalk and it's working great.

KC

Quick Reply: Planned: Suprastick and Amsoil