Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ignition system wearing out too fast

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 07:54 PM
Collan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ignition system wearing out too fast

I have a 93 sc300 and I replaced the cap/rotor/wires/plugs about 3 months ago. With the exception of wires, everything else is extremely corroded and worn out. The car is running very poorly. Everything on the engine is stock except for a cone air filter. I have synthetic fluids in everything as well. The cap and rotor are made by beck/arnley and the plugs are NGK iridium. What would cause my cap/rotor/plugs to wear out so fast? it looks like my stock ignition system is too powerful and wearing out components too quickly. I'm only driving about 500miles a month...Any ideas?
Old 01-26-09, 08:38 PM
Collan
Driver School Candidate

update: i checked the voltage of the alternator and it's making about 15v (higher then the 12-13v it's supposed to me making) I'm going to buy a new alternator and hope that fixes my voltage problem...

Does anyone know if an high output 130amp alternator from a newer (97+) works? Physically they look the same, any wiring issues? They look like they have the same plug too.
Old 01-26-09, 10:04 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The alternator should work from a newer model. Just make sure to check your grounds since it is the perfect time to refresh and/or add new leads to help the electrical system work better.

Another reason why your cap and rotor are wearing fast is due to the aluminum contacts. My first cap/rotor wore out fast too, they were beck + arnley. When i was in my local parts store a couple month ago, they had the option of spending $5 more and getting the "higher end" components. Upon comparison i noticed the contacts were copper on the higher end one and got those. The copper doesnt show any signs of wear and I have had them longer than the old set that corroded from the day I got them. Take a look into it and see if it works for you.
Old 01-26-09, 11:50 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get the oem cap/rotor. Last time I checked they weren't too pricey.
Old 01-27-09, 06:11 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 http://www.lexuspartsonline.com
Old 01-28-09, 11:08 PM
Collan
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced the battery and battery terminals. The battery tested to have a bad cell, so the lights are brighter and the voltage is down to a reasonable level. The car is still idling really rough and sounds like a subaru. I'll replace the plugs next time I have a day off. I think I have a vacuum leak someplace too. That's probably messing with something too, not sure why it would kill my power though.