Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please help meee! 93 sc400 battery light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 06:36 PM
kaedachef
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help meee! 93 sc400 battery light on

Hey, Yesterday my car died out of nowhere. Started fine everyday, but drove for like an hour let sit for a couple hours and when i went out to start it it just clicked, and my battery light came on. Jumped it, got home and when i turned it off it died again. Woke up today checked the battery, it was half full with water and the terminals were corroded. fixed that jumped it still died after turning it off. now when it was running i took of the terminals and it kept runnning so i don't think its the alternator. bought a new battery today & it hasnt died yet, but the battery light is still on and my radio will shutoff if i have it too loud. now my radio doesnt have a ground hooked up it is grounded from the antenna wire(aftermarket radio). What could the problem be, this is my daily driver so i kinda need help yesterday. Please someone help.

P.S. my battery light never came on until yesterday.
Old 01-23-09, 07:16 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need to have the alt.checked, most auto parts places can put a volt meter on the battery and tell if the alt. is good, just make sure the battery is charged up when you drive to the parts house.
Old 01-24-09, 12:42 PM
Stonehenge
Driver School Candidate

Have you checked to make sure the belt is nice and tight. If it's NOT, the alternator will just spin and charge very little.

RC
Old 01-25-09, 05:53 AM
kaedachef
Driver School Candidate

It was the alternator. Thanks for your help. Just wish i would have posted this sooner before spending 75$ on a battery i didn't need.... but hell its one less problem to worry about in the future. Hey anyone know how to wire in halo lights. They already came hooked up in my car except for the halos.
Old 05-29-16, 08:03 PM
pcolex
Driver School Candidate

I was underneath mine yesterday changing the oil and checking for leaking PS fluid and bumped the alternator wire. Today my battery light went on in the middle of a drive so I shut down all electronics and drove back home. I checked the voltage across the battery terminals with the car off and it was above 12V - not too bad. I then checked with the car running and it was under 12 V - bad because the car was draining the battery. I pulled the alternator down and took it in to Oreilly's and it passed. But I noticed the connector was corroded so I cleaned it out the best I could and Voila - problem fixed. I guess when I bumped the wire it was just enough to wiggle the connector to go bad the next day. Three lessons learned: 1 - the voltage test across the battery terminals with the car off and then running is an easy prelim test, 2 - the alternator is pretty easy to pull down on the 93 SC400, and 3 - check your connectors for corrosion and test the alternator before replacing.