Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Quick HKS FCD question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 09:10 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick HKS FCD question

Going on the advice of my friend, he told me to set the FCD at 7. Sound right? I put it in earlier, and it seems to be driving okay, just making sure it's the right setting? Because the instructions from Drift Motion didn't have anything for the JZZ30.

Also, the main reason I bought this was because at low rpm with heavy throttle, I usually get a harsh cutout that makes my car jerk/shake right around 3k rpm. I was told that the FCD would fix this, but the jerk still happens. It's not every time, but generally. I dunno what it is...thinking maybe my map sensor is bugged out or something? I dunno...

Aaaanyways, if someone can help me out, I'd PRECIATE it Thanks.
Old 01-15-09, 09:31 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

bumparoo! c'mon, some people gotta be running FCDs in hurrrrr
Old 01-16-09, 08:58 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dude, so my buddy saw you at red robin like last week or so, he was driving his e30 m3, said your car was tight yo! anyway, did you ever get new sparkplugs in? or regap your old ones? i have an fcd but it's not installed right now because i got an exhaust that restricted boost just enough so i don't max out the map sensor. is it a studdering or is it a complete loss of power for a sec or 2? studdering would seem like plugs or lack of ignition but a complete loss of power would be like fuel cut.
oh and almost forgot, i would use a multi meter and set the clamping voltage according to what i saw on the meter rather than what the settings are on the bcc since you have no idea what voltage each position is you can't accurately set the clamping voltage, you want it to be close to 4.90v.

Last edited by audi2nr; 01-16-09 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 06:14 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Yeah I did plugs a while back ago, if you're full throttle above 3k it does okay, but if you're driving at like 2k and hit the throttle, when it gets up near 3k rpm, it'll completely cut out for a sec, make the car jerk and ****, it's super annoying.

Dunno what this clamping voltage and stuff you're talking about is, lol
Old 01-16-09, 06:27 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like fuel cut.
ok so your map sensor converts the pressure it see's to a voltage. that gets sent to the ecm so it can calculate engine load and then adjust fuel accordingly., the sensor voltage range is from 0-5 volts, fuel cut is right after 5 volts, your fcd sits in between the ecm and the map sensor and watches voltage and then it clamps the voltage once it gets to a certain point to fool the ecm into thinking its not over boosting. its really not the safest way to increase boost as you don't have the ability to add fuel via a piggy back like the safc. so a wide band is a good idea if you are upping the boost alot. if its just a few lbs over stock you should be ok as the stock ecm typically runs the car rich for longevity. but if you go lean then you your engine goes pop thats why watching the a/f is important. there is a write up on sf or somewhere showing how to set the voltage on a fcd, oh just curious you know what you are boosting at? and are you running a huge open exhaust? i know u have an aftermarket double barrell left side single exit exhaust, looks tight mang.
Old 01-17-09, 12:46 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

lol I haven't adjusted the boost at all. It's running 10lbs. I kinda want to try someone else's map sensor. When I bought my engine it didn't come with one, and the place I got the engine from sent me one, and it was a different one from the one my friend has on his 1J. Kinda weird.

Yeah the exhaust is a straight pipe 3" into dual 3" stainless tips, it sounds badass, but it's really loud, I'm thinking about getting a resonator or something for it. Neighbors don't appreciate it too much :X