Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another 2jz-gte swap thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 04:57 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 2jz-gte swap thread...

Right now my plan is to swap a 2jz-gte with auto tranny into my 94 auto sc300. Up until last night however, I was convinced on going with the 1jz and auto tranny. I did all the research on what I needed to buy, but at the last minute decided to "go big or go home".

I am not here to ask if it will work, or if stuff will bolt up because I already know it will. My question is what all do I need to buy in order for this swap to go as smoothly as possible? I spent last night searching but most of the information was for people swapping into a 5spd sc or sc400.

These are the things that come with the engine:

COMPELTE ENGINE
AT TRANSMISSION
COMPELTE ENGINE WIRING
ECU / COMPUTER
POWER STEERING PUMP
STARTER
AC COMPRESSOR
ALTERNATOR
EXHAUST MANIFOLD
INTAKE MANIFOLD
TURBO MANIFOLD
THROTTLE BODY
INJECTORS
FUEL RAIL
COILS
PULLY

I know I need to buy:

Turbo Timer?
Replace gaskets?
Downpipe
Greddy Speed Cut Controller
Electric Fans
Supra Intercooler
Cam Seals
Front Main Seal
Rear Main Seal
Water Pump
Serpentine Belt (with AC)
Timing belt
1JZ/2JZ Lightweight Underdrive Pulley Kit
2JZ Throttle cable
Transmission Mounts
2x Motor Mount For 1JZ/2JZ/7M
Toyota Oil Filter
6x NGK Spark Plugs and Wires
Supra Upper/lower radiator hoses
MSD Tach adapter (for the tach)
330ohm resistor (for the temp gauge)
Walbro fuel pump
A spool of 18g wire
Heatshrink/Solder
Fluids (oil, transmission fluid, coolant...)

Is there anything else should I think about replacing when I do this swap?

Thanks

Last edited by TroySC300; 01-08-09 at 12:35 PM. Reason: added to the list
Old 01-06-09, 05:29 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck.
Old 01-06-09, 07:23 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

don't think you need a turbo timer, just sit in the car for an extra minute or two before shutting it off.

Also might want to pick up some wiring, soldering tools, and some shrink rap to extend the harness. Fuel pump as well.
Old 01-06-09, 07:55 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StiCk3
don't think you need a turbo timer, just sit in the car for an extra minute or two before shutting it off.

Also might want to pick up some wiring, soldering tools, and some shrink rap to extend the harness. Fuel pump as well.
I forgot to mention I'm having a shop do the swap, I'm just buying everything

Forgot to add
Walbro fuel pump
A spool of 18g wire
Heatshrink/Solder
Old 01-06-09, 08:17 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

If you are keeping it auto, Try to snag the a340e out of the TT. It's essentially the same tranny but does not require a kickdown cable, and our stock kickdown cable is not long enough due to the different throttle body location.

As you are going to hear the time to go single is now, If you plan on it, but you already disclosed that you are one of those "shop do-it for you people", so it really won't be your burden later anyways.

I personally don't understand why people with realistic power goals scoff at using the stock GE and blow tons of money on GTE swaps, but more power to you. In the end your car will probably be worth more with the GTE. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.
Old 01-06-09, 08:32 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ahhyes300
If you are keeping it auto, Try to snag the a340e out of the TT. It's essentially the same tranny but does not require a kickdown cable, and our stock kickdown cable is not long enough due to the different throttle body location.

As you are going to hear the time to go single is now, If you plan on it, but you already disclosed that you are one of those "shop do-it for you people", so it really won't be your burden later anyways.

I personally don't understand why people with realistic power goals scoff at using the stock GE and blow tons of money on GTE swaps, but more power to you. In the end your car will probably be worth more with the GTE. Good luck, hope all goes well for you.
I am buying the engine and auto TT tranny together.
I don't plan on going single anytime soon.
Trust me, I've spent the last year debating NA-T vs swap. The major weakness of my car is the 200k stock auto tranny. The great part about the swap is I get a low miles auto TT tranny with the reliable HP of the 2jz-gte.

Loving the input guys, feel free to add anything to my list too.
Old 01-06-09, 08:35 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
I forgot to mention I'm having a shop do the swap, I'm just buying everything

Forgot to add
Walbro fuel pump
A spool of 18g wire
Heatshrink/Solder
If you are going to use the resistor for the temp, I would also get a good water temp gauge. With the resistor, it is slow to process any temp change, so you could be overheating, and not know it for a couple of mins.
Old 01-06-09, 11:29 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Yeah 200k is a good chunk of miles, Lol. But from the pics I've seen of your car, you would never know
Old 01-07-09, 03:07 AM
Ryeno
Banned

IMO if your not going manuel, your not going big. I swear the 5spd manuel is soo much better then any auto. Going down hills and around corners, truely makes the manuel shine.

Plus your in FL, that means none of those pesky carb laws. I would personally just buy a 1jz/r154. Then combine then together for a 1.5jz. You'll essentially have a 2jz with a worse flowing head. Since your power goals arent that high, their no point of spending extra money a 2jz when you'll be better off using that money on a manual tranny.

Let me put it this way, i spent 2 months looking for a good manual sc just because i thought the manual tranny as that much more important to have. Their were times when i questioned what i was doing and if i just should have just settled for an auto. Well right now i am looking for a sc400 for my bro and i can say 100 percent i am sooooo happy i got the manual.

Unless your left leg is broken get a manual transmission.

Last edited by Ryeno; 01-07-09 at 03:15 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 08:37 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
IMO if your not going manuel, your not going big. I swear the 5spd manuel is soo much better then any auto. Going down hills and around corners, truely makes the manuel shine.

Plus your in FL, that means none of those pesky carb laws. I would personally just buy a 1jz/r154. Then combine then together for a 1.5jz. You'll essentially have a 2jz with a worse flowing head. Since your power goals arent that high, their no point of spending extra money a 2jz when you'll be better off using that money on a manual tranny.

Let me put it this way, i spent 2 months looking for a good manual sc just because i thought the manual tranny as that much more important to have. Their were times when i questioned what i was doing and if i just should have just settled for an auto. Well right now i am looking for a sc400 for my bro and i can say 100 percent i am sooooo happy i got the manual.

I hear you, I just have no need for a manual transmission. It's my DD and I'm not taking it around any corners, or down hills lol. It doesn't make sense for me to spend 1000+ on a 1jz, then 500+ on a manual transmission, then another 2-3k for labor when I can just drop $1800 on a 2jz+auto and have it all dropped in for $1500
Old 01-07-09, 11:15 AM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Then combine then together for a 1.5jz. You'll essentially have a 2jz with a worse flowing head.

Until somebody decides to flow test the 2JZGTE head, the 2JZGE head, and the 1JZGTE head (this might have recently happened and I wasn't aware) Please don't post mis-information. The unwarranted claims about which head flows better are some of the most annoying things posted on JZ related boards. To me it's right up there with the Folklore that the GE bottom-end blows up at 400hp.

To keep your car auto is your preference. Some people actually like the luxury aspects of the SC300, and are not simply trying to build a poor mans MK4 Supra. I can agree with Ryeno, If you want a manual car, take the extra time to find one. I'm about to start my auto>R154 conversion and the most challenging spot looks like the pedal swap.
Old 01-07-09, 04:59 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by ahhyes300
Until somebody decides to flow test the 2JZGTE head, the 2JZGE head, and the 1JZGTE head (this might have recently happened and I wasn't aware) Please don't post mis-information. The unwarranted claims about which head flows better are some of the most annoying things posted on JZ related boards. To me it's right up there with the Folklore that the GE bottom-end blows up at 400hp.
uhm its a proven fact that 1jz flows worse then the 2jz. Anyways i kinda forgot in my post that the OP would need a 2jz-gte bottom end.

But anyways even for DD i still rather have a manual. Lets see i am 18 now and have been driving autos for 2 yrs. Well now that i have my manual idk how i ever drove those autos. It kinda sucks driving in LA or OC traffic but even then its worth it for when i dont have traffic.

Also it's funny when i get inside an auto car. my left leg just auto presses the floor. And then i realize autos dont have clutchs or thair safery switch. Like-wise when i break, i feel the need to press the floor with my left leg.

Its just IMO that if your gonna pay for labor to begin with to swap out an engine/tranny. you might as well swap in the manual right now. Cuz is you actually care about getting more power and everything your going to end up caring that your car is an auto.
Old 01-07-09, 05:20 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Its just IMO that if your gonna pay for labor to begin with to swap out an engine/tranny. you might as well swap in the manual right now. Cuz is you actually care about getting more power and everything your going to end up caring that your car is an auto.
Sounds great in theory, but when you factor in the cost of a manual transmission and the cost of labor to convert, it isn't worth it.

BTW I added a Greddy Speed Cut Controller to my list
Old 01-07-09, 05:38 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

guys it's basically a stock 2JZ-GTE with low miles on both engine and tranny. Little is being modified about the engine so it is going to be reliable which is what he's looking for. With the auto it really isn't all that bad. For city driving i would prefer a relaxing auto than a manual. Still, a future upgrade should include a manual if you want to crank up the power.
Old 01-07-09, 08:48 PM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

uhm its a proven fact that 1jz flows worse then the 2jz.
I'm waiting for this Proof to call this a Fact. Please post it up anytime now.

Quick Reply: Another 2jz-gte swap thread...