Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheating....I think.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 06:42 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Overheating....I think.

So, for the last three days my car has shut off on me. I have to wait a couple of minutes, five at the most, for it to come back on again.

I recently had a fluid leak but put leak stop in and it seemed to have slowed the loss of coolant. Seeing as it's winter, people's cars smoke out of the exhaust....

Mine smokes out of the exhaust and the engine. It comes out of the front, sides and near the windshield because of the heat. It's not a bad smoke, just a "it's pretty damn cold outside" smoke. Heh. Even the days when it's not that cold (texas, mind you) I can smell the fluid burning and I know the car gets hot BUT my temp gauge stays put. I know the temp gauge works because I can see it rise up to operating temp.

And another thing, when I had that profuse leak, my radiator light would come on when it had low coolant, but wouldn't shut off from the heat.
Now that it actually has coolant in it, it shuts off more frequently (three days in a row!) and the coolant light doesn't even blink. I'm stumped.

So, my question:
Why would my car become this hot while still having coolant ? I'm am hopefully, replacing the thermo tomorrow (yes, I'm using a toyo one) and will flush and add coolant along w/ a bleed. I just wanted some insight as this is my daily driver and, in short, I do a lot of driving.

Confused....that's me.

Also, is this the thermostat number from toyota for my 92 SC400???

Part Number: 90916-03120

Last edited by HeisLegend; 12-29-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-30-08, 12:19 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure your fan has ATF fluid in it and that there are no leaks either.
Old 12-30-08, 11:55 AM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Will do. Thanks for the input, brotha.
Old 12-30-08, 11:59 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the leak exactly? Have you checked your oil for coolant?
Old 12-30-08, 01:08 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check all fluid levels to verify which is leaking. Also if you had a coolant leak and it keeps shutting off on you I would be worried abou the headgasket. Where in Texas are you? I am in Austin...

Also, does the needle ever move? Does it go from cold to half way?
Old 12-30-08, 01:47 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Needle moves.

I'm not worried about the headgasket. When it was leaking, it was from an outside source.

I'm in San Antonio.
Also, I went to go start the car today and it didn't start. Cranks over and sounds like it wants to start, it just doesn't catch.

Stupid domino effect.
Old 12-30-08, 03:48 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you put in Stop Leak for an external leak? I would keep that stuff away from my car at all costs. What's done is done though. If you overheated it even once, I would consider doing a leakdown test and compression test to check for HG/warped head issues. A loss of compression will certainly make it difficult to keep running. And smoking out of the engine is not good, even if it's steam. Where is that coming from?

And I don't know if this pertains to Toyotas, but in a honda there is a main fuel relay. When it starts to crap out it will do similar things like not start, or die when it gets hot.
Old 12-30-08, 06:31 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Steam is coming from radiator. It's most apparent towards the front of the car, obviously.

Checked fuses, all good. Battery cable is secure and well. Battery is good.
Going to clean out the IACV tomorrow along w/ the MAF sensor. We'll see how it goes.

I am also not aware of this fuel relay. If someone could answer this, t'would be greatly appreciated.
As for the leak, it is coming from the passenger side of the radiator. I suspect it's a crack because it's not leaking from the wire, from the resevior or anywhere else that I can see w/ out taking the shroud off. Seems to be partially, if not completely sealed.

OH and the overheating thing. The needle (which I suspect works) has never passed the middle. NEVER.

Last edited by HeisLegend; 12-30-08 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 03:47 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, so I went to go and clean out the IACV and MAF and as I was taking off all the necessary lines one of them broke. Turns out they had some **** rigged up for it.
I think it's a vaccuum off the manifold.

It's right under the Lexus emblem and extends maybe an inch out. That and when I start it, it has a strong fuel smell and I don't hear the fuel pump engaging.
I don't know if it's just a quiet pump or what, but on my S13 w/ a walbro 255 you could hear that thing easily.

Would a bad pump let it start up, and idle for 3-4 seconds then die accompanied by a strong fuel smell from the bay?
Old 12-31-08, 07:57 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

So, I bridged the +B and FP terminals and found out that I need a new fuel pump ecu.

How would keeping this bridge for daily driving (it's my daily) affect the car?
Also, I know ECU's are pricey. I'm eating ramen and can't afford awesome parts yet.

DAMN YOU COLLEGE!!!!!!!!! lol. Also, again, anyone have any input on that Vacuum nipple coming out right under the lexus emblem on the 1UZFE?
Old 01-01-09, 07:38 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bridging the +b and FP will let you run but i would not recommend driving like that for a long time.Remember the box is only for diagnostics,not to run a current through.

Here ,its better to do it from ECU.Here's the link for that:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...tures-faq.html

Good luck man
Old 01-01-09, 12:44 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

12v mod? looks like it would work, but then again there are some people saying no. haha.

I think I'd rather settle for another ECU. I'd rather do things right ( not to say the 12v mod is wrong) the first time around.
Thanks for the info Lex Man.
Old 01-01-09, 02:25 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

I think i'ma do it. LOL.

I'll update later today.
Old 01-01-09, 03:48 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

12v mod completed. Not too hard to remove seats as I anticipated.

Starts up, idles and so on. ONLY 1 PROBLEM.

that hose that broke off the other day UNDER THE LEXUS EMBLEM on the 1UZFE, I THINK, is giving me an idle and power problem. Can anyone confirm?
Old 01-01-09, 05:41 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

K guys, sorry for so many posts.

I told you guys I'd keep you updated, so I did.
Fixed the vacuum problem. Now back to the "overheating" lol.

Quick Reply: Overheating....I think.