Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wastegate spring

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 03:53 AM
RIP TimmyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate spring

This is going to sound stupid but i have a hks wastegate and im not sure what size it is. I inquired the lexus from my best friend that passed away. My question is is it possible to change the spring to get more boost out of it? I know that the car is running about 8-10 pounds of boost now. Thanks for your time
Old 12-11-08, 04:34 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya you can change it, but I would make sure to tune it afterwards. What kind of engine management is he running?
Old 12-11-08, 12:48 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

first, is it running just off the wastegate spring? if so, u can either add a boost controller or some T's to the vacuum line from the compressor housing. both will increase the amount of boost over running just off the spring.
Old 12-11-08, 02:25 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
or some T's to the vacuum line from the compressor housing. both will increase the amount of boost over running just off the spring.
Old 12-11-08, 04:31 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2jzlex

Im with this guy....please elaborate.
Old 12-11-08, 04:57 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

the way a boost controller works is by limiting(ie. reducing) the amount the pressure in the vacuum line to the wastegate. you can do the same exact thing using t's in this vacuum line...by releasing the pressure in the line to atmosphere. same exact concept as the boost controller but simpler. i'll take a picture of my set up this weekend when i get the chance.
Old 12-11-08, 06:21 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
the way a boost controller works is by limiting(ie. reducing) the amount the pressure in the vacuum line to the wastegate. you can do the same exact thing using t's in this vacuum line...by releasing the pressure in the line to atmosphere. same exact concept as the boost controller but simpler. i'll take a picture of my set up this weekend when i get the chance.
Whoa Whoa ALL wrong. That is NOT the same concept. The way you are setting it up constantly diverts pressure to the atmosphere, this is a horrible way to do it. You are wasting spool time and positive pressure by doing it this way. On top of that, you would definately have control issues. A boost controller be it MBC or EBC, delays the pressure allowing it to build to a certain point then releases it to the atmosphere. No boost controller does it the way you are describing, none. If you want to make an at home boost controller, use a brass tee with 2 barb fittings, a balll and spring in the center, and a bolt on one side. That is one way to do it and actually works decent for the 5$ that it cost to make it. You need to get a different setup man, that is literally like the worst way to do it.
Old 12-12-08, 03:54 AM
RIP TimmyD
Driver School Candidate

Ok this is the setup it has a turbonetics T66 a spearco front mount intercooler an hks 40mm wastegate and a blitz blow off valve. It has a walboro fuel pump also. No engine management or air fuel controller or boost controller. What i want to do is get the most out of the setup that i have. I just dont know much about what its capable of. I was told that by changing the spring and putting a thicker gead gasket and bigger injectors that i could run 18 pounds. What is the best thing to do right now? Thanks for your time
Old 12-12-08, 06:13 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Whoa Whoa ALL wrong. That is NOT the same concept. The way you are setting it up constantly diverts pressure to the atmosphere, this is a horrible way to do it. You are wasting spool time and positive pressure by doing it this way. On top of that, you would definately have control issues. A boost controller be it MBC or EBC, delays the pressure allowing it to build to a certain point then releases it to the atmosphere. No boost controller does it the way you are describing, none. If you want to make an at home boost controller, use a brass tee with 2 barb fittings, a balll and spring in the center, and a bolt on one side. That is one way to do it and actually works decent for the 5$ that it cost to make it. You need to get a different setup man, that is literally like the worst way to do it.
you are correct, i was mistaken on how boostcontroller works. but yes, i am diverting pressure to atmosphere and i do agree that i am losing a little spool but really how much??? a small 1/4inch diameter hose versus 2.5in out? i have a manual boost controller sitting in my garage, maybe i can do some testing...it would be interesting to see.

one of the main reasons i like doing it this way is that it is less prone to failure. i am not relying on a boostcontroller and it's moving parts (manual) or solenoids (electronic).

hey, if it works for my buddy's 1000rwhp+ supra, it works for me.
Old 12-12-08, 07:00 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

1000 Whp or not, that still is not a good way to do it. Honestly unless he has a very specific reason for doing that, I would question highly question that build, lol. If you are strapped for cash you can make a very simple MBC that will get the job done, still not the best way but it's definately better than what you've got now.

http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/FAQs/mbc.html

There are alot of variations to this and by far the best way to do it is by an EBC. But again if you don't want to spend the money at least build yourself something like this.
Old 12-12-08, 12:05 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

it's not about the money for either of us (else we wouldn't be modifying our cars, right?). i do have a manual boostcontroller so i may try that some time. but like i mentioned, this is an easy and failure safe way to increase boost (be it less efficient).