Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mobil ATF+III

Old 11-23-08, 11:44 AM
Mick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobil ATF+III

Is it safe in a SC400?
Had my transmission flushed and fluid was replaced with this stuff. They used a "transformer kit" (whatever that means), tried searching but only found some cool body kits.lol
My gears started "clunking" into gear on cold starts, should I buy ATFIV and have them change it again? Would overfill cause the "clunking" as well?
Any comments appreciated!

By the way I have read the Auto SC Shifting Tweak as well as many other Hard Shift threads, but this starting happening after my flush so I am convinced it is something the shop did/didn't do.

Again thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-23-08, 12:07 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 11-23-08, 01:38 PM
Mick
Pole Position

Man O.L.T., your on your game. I was just about to request to move thread.
Atleast I wasn't called a newb.
Old 11-24-08, 12:41 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

check with Mobile1 to see if its compatible with Toyota T-IV. There are a few ATF fluids that meets/exceeds the OEM specs.

Im assuming they did a full transmission flush with a t-tech machine? Depending on the mileage that could do more harm than good.
Old 11-24-08, 04:48 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the mobile one fluid is "universal" they probably use something like the black bottle of lube guard.

Although I've never used that setup in a Lexus trans, I think it's more likely the trans flush its self caused the problem (sometimes having a high mileage trans flushed does more harm than good)
Old 11-24-08, 04:49 PM
Mick
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses!
Checked the website and it is suitable for vehicles that specify Toyota Type-III and Type-IV.

My car has 154,000 miles so I am fearing the worst... would they be liable?
Old 11-24-08, 09:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I work at a dealer and have done (and many have done around me) numerous trans flushes. I've only ever heard of one, maybe two transmissions that took a crap right after.

When you say clunking, what do you mean? You said when cold is it ok after it's warm?

I would suggest at least trying a re flush with type4 before condemning the transmission. I've actually been thinking about switching over to a dex3 fluid myself.

KC
Old 11-27-08, 12:32 PM
Mick
Pole Position

When shifting into gear while still cold every morning, it literally "clunks" into gear. After I've driven for a while, although it still makes a small sound and the rear end seems to move up and down a bit with drive and reverse, it doesn't make the loud clunk noise.

I'll have to drain and replace with T-IV hopefully it will make a difference.
Old 11-27-08, 02:25 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkMonkey
When shifting into gear while still cold every morning, it literally "clunks" into gear. After I've driven for a while, although it still makes a small sound and the rear end seems to move up and down a bit with drive and reverse, it doesn't make the loud clunk noise.

I'll have to drain and replace with T-IV hopefully it will make a difference.
So, it just feels like the engagement is harsher? Does the shifting through the gears feel quicker / harsher?

I ask because I've been considering a swap to dex3 fluid in my SC400. I've read many conflicting statements regarding it's use as a replacement for T4. I am personally looking for a harder / firmer shift.

You should feel my car as it sits now. The car squats a bit when I shift into gear. I wouldn't say it clunks though. But I also have all new motor, trans and diff mounts.

Sounds to me like maybe you have a worn mount somewhere and the transmission is going into gear a little harder than it was before, which insn't really a bad thing. You should check your mounts though.

KC
Old 11-29-08, 03:16 PM
Mick
Pole Position

I'll be ordering new transmission mounts from pembroke today as well as spark plugs, wires, caps and rotors since it does idle a bit higer when cold. Hope that makes a difference.

To answer your question, I am not noticing much change in the shifting of gears other than when getting out of park. I will pay more attention to it today so I will let you know.