Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Open Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 04:12 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Headers?

just wondering, has anyone tried running open headers on an sc400? If i did it to my 92 what would be the advantages/disadvantages? Since im in florida and still in school im lookin for cheap mods lol. also how loud is it? i couldnt find any videos of it.
Old 11-20-08, 05:16 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did it on my sc300..it was loud but didn't sounded good when i floor it but since you're V8 it should sound nice i think. the advantage is you'll get more low end power and disadvante is you're not gonna get enough back pressure...?
Old 11-20-08, 06:04 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

mmmm don't
Old 11-20-08, 06:37 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300_704
i did it on my sc300..it was loud but didn't sounded good when i floor it but since you're V8 it should sound nice i think. the advantage is you'll get more low end power and disadvante is you're not gonna get enough back pressure...?
the lack of back pressure will make you lose scavenging effect, in turn reducing low end torque a bit but in return will open up the top end. its a trade off. it will be super loud and you WILL get pulled over and then come back here and complain and/or brag that you got pulled over. not worth it. i did it on my sc300 right after doing my clutch. didnt put the exhaust back on and went for a short cruise. it was fun but illegal and on daily basis its impractical.

i have a really nice sound system in my car i put together and when that was at almost full volume i could barely hear it over the engine at nearly redline.

i say find other more efficient ways to go faster. get a bike. that wont be matched by anything street legal...well almost anything but the cars that can match a bike are not fun to drive on streets, just highways.
Old 11-20-08, 07:52 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the lack of back pressure will make you lose scavenging effect, in turn reducing low end torque a bit but in return will open up the top end. its a trade off. it will be super loud and you WILL get pulled over and then come back here and complain and/or brag that you got pulled over. not worth it. i did it on my sc300 right after doing my clutch. didnt put the exhaust back on and went for a short cruise. it was fun but illegal and on daily basis its impractical.

i have a really nice sound system in my car i put together and when that was at almost full volume i could barely hear it over the engine at nearly redline.

i say find other more efficient ways to go faster. get a bike. that wont be matched by anything street legal...well almost anything but the cars that can match a bike are not fun to drive on streets, just highways.
The theory that an engine needs backpressure to make power isn't true.

No backpressure will always make more power than a system with backpressure. However, this will only happen if your engine is tuned for the new change in A/F.

If you can monitor your A/F, and adjust it accordingly, you could get a minor gain. The car will be ungodly loud, and you will probably get pulled over, and burn several holes in the ground, or places in your engine bay.
Old 11-21-08, 04:54 AM
morbid
Rookie

If you want a cheap mod... go to a local exhaust shop and have a custom exhaust fabbed up. Or even cheaper, get your resonators cut out and replaced with straight pipe.

You probably won't gain any power but it will sound better.
Old 11-21-08, 10:31 AM
trbo1stgen
Rookie

i have been driving open down pipe for a while now never have any cop trouble, just throw it in nuetral when passing cops. i say do it.
Old 11-21-08, 07:33 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set of headers for sale in the classifieds if you want to try it. I think it will sound mean but loud.
Old 11-21-08, 10:46 PM
sc400808
Pole Position

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oYKcabelI8
My roommates old SC. He once tracked it. It sounds pretty good in person.