Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

how to shut off fuel pump? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 01:01 PM
Ice-Tray
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to shut off fuel pump? HELP!

can some one please help me!!!! I'm trying to release the preassure in the fuel lines so that i can change my dreaded fuel filter, I heard that this can be achieved by turning off the fuel pump and starting the engine until it dies... How do I shut off the fuel pump? is there a relay/.
Old 11-10-08, 02:43 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh...you can release the pressure by just unbolting the bolt on the fuel filter housing, btw there will be some fuel spilling out but it's ok just don't smoke near it...
Old 11-10-08, 06:45 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

not sure about you guys, but the last time i changed my fuel filter i release the pressure by removing the gas cap. Even with the pressure released, fuel was spilling the whole time after i loosened the fuel lines from the filter until i put the new filter in and tightened it.

Also, dont forget to use some flare-nut or brake line wrenches. I nearly rounded off the brake line bolt using a regular box wrench.
Old 11-10-08, 07:36 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Release pressure from the lines by first starting the car normally and then removing the fuel pump relay in the fuse block in the engine bay while it is running. This will shut off your pump while having the engine use up the residual fuel in the lines.
Old 11-10-08, 07:37 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Release pressure from the lines by first starting the car normally and then removing the fuel pump relay in the fuse block in the engine bay while it is running. This will shut off your pump while having the engine use up the residual fuel in the lines.
Exactly. Worked like a charm for me.
Old 11-11-08, 01:26 AM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Remove before starting the car. Could cause alot of damage if removed while still on.
Old 11-11-08, 07:45 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dinhnerz
Remove before starting the car. Could cause alot of damage if removed while still on.
Uh what are you talking about? All that is being done is shutting off the fuel pump. Doing this beforehand will not even let the car start let alone use the pent up fuel in the lines.

Granted in the Repair Manual it says to disconnect the fuel pump plug in the trunk, but this is doing the exact same thing. It says to let it run untill it stops by itself.

Unless you can start the car without fuel pressure, I don't see how your statement makes sense.

This is going on my first hand experience. Relay out before cranking = no start.

Last edited by lemmiewink; 11-11-08 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-11-08, 08:15 AM
ralsty
Rookie

In the trunk there is a fuel pump connector. You have to remove the trunk mat along with the spare tire and trim piece (the one in the back of the trunk or against the backseat). There should then be an electrical connector for the fuel pump. Once unplugged, start the car and it should die out as fuel is no longer going to the engine.

Old 11-11-08, 09:24 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 nothing wrong with doing this. you will not do any damage to your car.