Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZGTE 3k rpm hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 09:04 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1JZGTE 3k rpm hesitation

I believe this has been covered before, but my friend's MK3 Supra is having this problem...I tried to search and couldn't find anything. Anyone know what the cause of this hesitation issue generally is? Help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-15-08, 09:37 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what type of hesitation? Once it hits 3K rpm, does the car seem like it hits a brick wall? If that is the case, I would adjust the TPS.
Old 10-16-08, 12:53 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue with my 1j swap, as did CCC-TT and a few others. Is it newly done, or has it been running fine before. For the SC, you have to cut one of the wires on one body plug.
Old 10-16-08, 06:26 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

His swap has been done for a long time and has never ran right, first it wouldn't even idle, now he says it runs good but cuts out at 3k rpm
Old 10-16-08, 04:47 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Got some more info from him today.

He says it happened under light acceleration, and that it felt just like hesitation/sputtering, not hitting a complete wall or anything like that.

Don't know if that wire issue would apply to the Supra, but in case it does, do you happen to know which wire it is?
Old 10-16-08, 06:12 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, mine does that as well. right at 3k, it either takes off like a bat out of hell if I stomp on it, or it sputters badly if I have anything less than 30 percent throttle. I thought it was a boost leak, but i did a test, and I'm only leaking a small amount at the bov.

if i have to cut a wire, which one is it????
Old 06-26-12, 02:50 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reviving thread:

i have the same issue. part throttle - on my old safc it was 12.5% throttle around 2500/3000rpm which is the 60/65mph range, id get a bogging down/hesitation. this happens when at rest and accelerating or on the highway accelerating/cruising. higher rpm/higher throttle % makes the problem go away.

i have a sc400 with a 1jzgte. i thought it was the safc or hks boost cut eliminator but when i put the mapecu3 in, i have the same issue.

any thoughts?
Old 06-26-12, 04:26 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anybody else have a wideband reading on it? Sounds like mine except that mine leans out. It's most apparent at low load. At WOT it doesn't do it (I don't normally pull from 3k rpm so maybe I'm just missing the window) I had a theory that it was related to running low fuel pressure but mine started doing it again at 40psi base fuel.

My SAFC made it MUCH worse. It would missfire and stumble if I tired to correct it with the SAFC. With the SAFC at 0% and a few runs and restarts to let the ECU cycle, it's no worse than a lean out and power loss but it still does it.

I'm wondering if its some artifact in the ECU that ends up leaning out and then pulling timing as compensation.

It's funny that this popped up again, I have been driving with it and just kind of shrugged it off. It's annoying but really not horrifying. Anybody have any idea how to fix it? I'm assuming this doesn't occurr with legit Soarers.

Just as some background, I had it with stock twins and big Y-pipe on SAFC, I still had it with a injector and fuel line upgrade, and I continue to have it after going with a single turbo and 3.5" exhaust.
Old 06-26-12, 04:30 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Jk turned out to be a pinched wire at my alternator. It was under the power nut
Old 06-26-12, 06:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Just a suggestion for all you piggy back 1J guys especially on bigger injectors IE: 550 TT's High Impedance, the average age of the 1jz ecu is between 15 and 21yrs old and they are very prone to fuel failure in the ECU (leaking caps, burnt etc etc) so for all you I would highly recommend having your ECU's looked at as this is a common and potential issue with the above problem that several of you seem to be having.

GL.
Old 06-26-12, 10:21 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bryan-what do you mean pinched?

Blk&blu-if u can't "visibly" see any leaky caps or anything wrong on the ecu boards, then there shouldn't be anything wrong right?
Old 06-27-12, 07:07 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
Bryan-what do you mean pinched?

Blk&blu-if u can't "visibly" see any leaky caps or anything wrong on the ecu boards, then there shouldn't be anything wrong right?
I would tend to agree but I have helped out a few peeps over the yrs and this turned out to be the problem, so just keep this thought when diagnosing problems.
Old 06-27-12, 08:14 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

^^would leaky caps also prevent the car from starting right??
Old 06-27-12, 10:24 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

also

also

also!!!

blk=blu. if i have a chaser ecu/motorset, and if the harness is made and if the engine is already in the car and hooked up.

would a "soarer" ecu work or be good to test or does it need to be a chaser?? i mean it's the same engine. iam wondering are the ecu pins the same??
Old 06-27-12, 05:16 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
also

also

also!!!

blk=blu. if i have a chaser ecu/motorset, and if the harness is made and if the engine is already in the car and hooked up.

would a "soarer" ecu work or be good to test or does it need to be a chaser?? i mean it's the same engine. iam wondering are the ecu pins the same??
Sorry its gotta be a chaser ECU different plugs.

Quick Reply: 1JZGTE 3k rpm hesitation