Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter issue (amp draw?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 12:58 AM
Shaar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issue (amp draw?)

I've been having constant weak starts on my SC400, with an occasional perfect and fast start. Its leading me to believe that my starter is either on the verge of quitting, or theres a bad connection somewhere.

I ruled out alternator and battery, they are new and perfect and tested out great.

So i tested the starter through the battery. On start, it pulls 340 amps when its starting real sluggish, and only 30 when it starts up quickly without hesitation. It always starts, and it will start slow or fast, whenever it so chooses. So here is my laundry list of questions:

1) Is there a way to check the connection to the starter without pulling the intake manifold?

2) Is there a quick run down on which cables to check and where they are located?

3) Would a higher cranking amp battery help?
Old 10-07-08, 09:01 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shaar

1) Is there a way to check the connection to the starter without pulling the intake manifold?

2) Is there a quick run down on which cables to check and where they are located?

3) Would a higher cranking amp battery help?
Man is everything going bad on your car cause I see posts about pretty much every system on the vehicle. lol To answer the first 2 questions there is no real quick access to the starter to check the connections. The only one close enough is coming off of the positive side near the battery that splits off. To answer the third question no it won't. If the starter is going that will help for only so long then it will totally stop. The reason why it is kicking out more amps sometimes then other is because the contacts,field coil,or permanent magnets inside are really worn down. There is usually a layer of burned off metal inside the starter over time. Looks like carbon dust when you open it up. Might want to look into a new start man before your luck runs out. Doing those aren't fun BTW.

Last edited by SHOLEXMAN; 10-08-08 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-08, 08:10 AM
Shaar
Driver

Yea i've had some issues with this car. Most have been solved and were minor maintenance. Some things are current projects, and some things are impossible to get the right parts for. sigh.
Old 10-08-08, 08:16 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

^^^^^^^^ You need a new starter. Don't waist time thinking about it just do it.