Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trufanatic's Official Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 01:53 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trufanatic's swap thread

**updates, pics and vid on page 2**

Before i embark on this great journey i'd like to thank both the forum and the members for all the help i've got so far and the help and advice i will get. The search button on this and SF has yielded a great deal of knowledge and i havent had the need to ask much....

so with that aside here is whats going down.

Car: 1993 sc400

Its getting an Aristo 2JZ with a soarer R154

What i have so far:

SC3 2JZGE OIL PAN - not tapped yet.
SC3 2JZGE AC COMPRESSOR AND LINES
2JZGTE timing belt and serpentine belt
SC3 2JZGE engine bracket
2JGTE USDM supra polyurethane engine mounts
Drift motion auto-manul swap kit
Used 1990 mk3 tubo supra clutch slave cyclinder
Used 1987 mk3 w58 transmission mount with misc boltS and fluid line

Shopping list / awaiting arrival in the mail

2JZGTE engine gasket set

Stuff i want after i get the car running:

V160 diff
New intake manifold
NX wet kit
GT3576 w/ manifold
Injectors
Full race clutch/flywheel assembly
Supra Tein basic coil over kit
Supra Brake kit and rotors from driftmotion.

After the motor gets here im sending both harness' off to Dr. Tweak....im open for suggestions or if im missing anything else that might cause a hiccup in the project. As of right now, im hoping to get the car done by end of December and at 600whp by next april.

Thanks again and stay tuned for updates.

Last edited by trufanatic; 08-25-10 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-24-08, 04:10 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

i want some help with a decision. I would like to keep my hydraulic radiator fan, would i not need to switch out the current water pump thats on the JDM motor to retain this functionality?
Old 10-24-08, 04:25 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I would switch to the usdm water pump assembly. I believe that the aristo has a different type. Also you might need to get a tt fan. Not sure if the sc400 fan will fit. I know for sure that the sc300 fan is too big.
Old 10-24-08, 05:18 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trufanatic
i want some help with a decision. I would like to keep my hydraulic radiator fan, would i not need to switch out the current water pump thats on the JDM motor to retain this functionality?
You should be able to retain the SC400 hydro fan and use the jdm water pump. I picked up a SC400 with a 1jz swap last year for parts, it was in an accident, and it was set up with the jdm water pump using the SC400 hydro fan. I’m not sure if its plug and play since I didn't do the swap but I can't imagine it being more than a couple lines if anything needed to be modded.
Old 10-24-08, 06:04 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
You should be able to retain the SC400 hydro fan and use the jdm water pump. I picked up a SC400 with a 1jz swap last year for parts, it was in an accident, and it was set up with the jdm water pump using the SC400 hydro fan. I’m not sure if its plug and play since I didn't do the swap but I can't imagine it being more than a couple lines if anything needed to be modded.
I thought aristo pumps were very different. The photos that I have seen of the aristo does not have that hydraulic fan coupler that supras have.

Then again I have no experience with sc400s what so ever.
Old 10-25-08, 12:10 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
I thought aristo pumps were very different. The photos that I have seen of the aristo does not have that hydraulic fan coupler that supras have.

Then again I have no experience with sc400s what so ever.
Supras, both jdm and usdm, runs a fan clutch on the water pump. Only the aristo motors uses a hydraulic fan setups very similiar if not the same to 1jz motors.
Old 10-25-08, 08:16 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
Supras, both jdm and usdm, runs a fan clutch on the water pump. Only the aristo motors uses a hydraulic fan setups very similiar if not the same to 1jz motors.
Ok, I had my nomenclature mixed up. I thought he meant the hydraulic fan clutch which is the term I am used to.

Also, soarer 1jz have fan clutches. I am pretty sure of that. Supra mk3 however have the similar aristo fan setups.
Old 10-25-08, 01:54 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Also, soarer 1jz have fan clutches. I am pretty sure of that. Supra mk3 however have the similar aristo fan setups.
You are correct, i forgot about the soarer 1jz's using fan clutches .
Old 10-25-08, 04:13 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

another thing, i bought a remaned 2JZGE AC compressor. did i need to do this if im going to keep AC or will the GTE compressor work fine?

Also what AC lines exactly do i need?

The sc4 has the charging nipple on the compressor and i didnt kno what lines i needed to tell aliga to send me.

Thanks fellas.
Old 10-27-08, 09:27 PM
pakiman626
Driver

very nice u are about where i was 2 weeks ago. let me know what lines u ended up needing for ac.
Old 11-24-09, 03:17 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

This thread is old but i got my hands on another sc because i had started the last project but didnt finish and ended up selling out everything.

I recently picked up a VERY clean sc400 but im going to be cheap and go 1jz this time.. the 2j project, monetarily got very overwhelming. If i got a soarer 1jz 5speed, complete with engine brackets, mounts and rear sump oil pan... how hard would this swap be a minus the pedal assembly that i have boxed still. What would i really need to finish up this swap in a weekend?
Old 11-27-09, 06:25 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok the soarer is rear sump so all you will need is the TT mount, 92 Toyota corolla Throttle cable about the same lenght as the TT,you will need the Map sensor, ignitor and noise filter if your swap didn't come with one. The noise filter you should be able to use the of of the 2JZ not sure if the 1UZ has one. TT upper and lower radiator hose, TT spark plugs.
The harness i would send it to Dr Tweak and you will be happy with the swap .
I would replace the WP,TB,Cam seals, Crankseal, rear main seal.
if you replace the water pump with a TT one you have the choice to either go with an
E fan, or use the GE clutch fan which i been using from day 1.
If the swap didn't come with the P/S reservoir you can use the SC400 reservoir.
The lines on the P/S and A/C you will those from an SC3 oh yeah the radiator you will need of from SC3 also.The TT coolant hose from the block to the heater core make sure you those.
So it's like you your are converting the car to a 300 at the same time.
The Drive shaft you need an MK3 with R154 front half and SC3 or mk4 supra W58 rear half or Custum one peice.
You may need the shifter extension if you don't wanna cut into your trans tunnel.
Before you spend all this money you need to make sure you ECU is not fried!!!!!!
Because if the caps are blown you will all kind of stupid issues man GL.
Old 12-02-09, 12:28 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

What if i wanted to do a an auto 1jz swap, what driveshaft would i need then? The SC4's tranny should be able to bolt up to the 1jz right?
Old 12-03-09, 09:38 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No the SC400 trans won't bolt up because of the bellhousing are different and the sensors on the trans are also different.
Go with the manual swap and you regret it.
You can use the SC3 driveshaft with 1jz auto swap .
Old 01-30-10, 03:45 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

aH! here i go again.

Question: got an mk3 w58 attached to the 2jz i bought. Will i need an MKIV tripod shifter? Its going into a 95 sc400.

Quick Reply: Trufanatic's Official Build thread