Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!

Old 10-01-08, 04:49 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the transmission is not reducing any of the power to the wheels, will it improve fuel economy at all. That is, under normal driving conditions, or is the difference not felt under regular driving?
Old 10-01-08, 07:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OneSickSC, have you tired plugging the sensor back in yet?

andrewwake, any updates? Have you disabled the solenoid?

I still have my doubts that disconnecting the od speed sensor is causing either of the problems you guys have... But, on my car, I only had the sensor unplugged for a day to see if it would stop my rev bounce problem, it didn't so I put it back. I then, a couple of days later, cut the solenoid wire and haven't had anything but good results. Although, I still have limiter bounce.

It could be that the ECU is still trying to control the no 4 solenoid despite not having the od sensor plugged in. All I can say is plug the senor back in and make sure any symptoms you have go away, then if you're willing to try it, disable the no 4 solenoid.

sc-driver, I don't think fuel economy would be affected either way. Unless you drive it harder because it DOES feel and IS faster. LOL. You likely will notice firmer shifts for all types of driving, it's hard for me to say since I shimmed my accumulators before I decided to disable the solenoid.

KC
Old 10-03-08, 06:42 PM
itsme4g63
Driver

My friend has a sc300 and experiences bouncing off the rev limiter in first and second, this fix does not really fixx that yes? Its more for low end tq?

Thanks.
Old 10-03-08, 06:47 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

KC, I was thinking about the slipping porblem, most likely you aren't feeling it because of your shims and you adjusted the valve body in the transmission. but i still left it unplugged, haven't had the motivation to plug it back in. it seems like it's still doing ok, no problems still.
Old 10-03-08, 08:15 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
My friend has a sc300 and experiences bouncing off the rev limiter in first and second, this fix does not really fixx that yes? Its more for low end tq?

Thanks.
Is your freinds 300 boosted? What year is it?

It has not fixed my rev bounce problem, even with the accumulator shims.

Originally Posted by andrewwake
KC, I was thinking about the slipping porblem, most likely you aren't feeling it because of your shims and you adjusted the valve body in the transmission. but i still left it unplugged, haven't had the motivation to plug it back in. it seems like it's still doing ok, no problems still.
Maybe, but I really don't think so. The purpose of the no 4 solenoid is to bleed off main line pressure during a shift, making it take longer to fill the accumulators. The longer the shift takes, the more it slips.

I'm also pretty sure I'd feel the trans slipping. I also think slip would be more noticeable with my higher power level.

-------------------------------

I had ordered solenoids, got the wrong ones. I am sending them back Monday and hopefully will have the correct ones late next week.

While I had the pan off, I changed the filter. I also swapped around the OEM shift solenoids to see if it would change anything. It did....I think. I'm still bouncing on the limiter but it's not quite as bad. And..when it does shift, the tires chirp.

I am fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with my transmission. I think I either have lazy / clogged solenoids or the ECU is too slow for the power level. Maybe it's ok on stock power to send the shift command at 6200rpm. With my much higher than stock power level and the fact that the rpm's rise at an incredible rate in 1st gear, maybe the command needs to be sent at 6000rpm. ???

Hopefully the solenoids will fix the problem and I'll be done with it.

KC
Old 10-20-08, 06:11 AM
OneSickSC
Driver

anymore infor for the OBDII guys? how about an ecu diagram so i can try cutting the wire to my sensor from the ecu....
Old 10-20-08, 04:30 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneSickSC
anymore infor for the OBDII guys? how about an ecu diagram so i can try cutting the wire to my sensor from the ecu....
I'm about 90% sure that 96 wiring is the same as 95 and below, see post 53.

I'm out of town at the moment so I can't double check for you until at least Friday, but I'm pretty sure.

KC
Old 11-24-08, 02:51 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Just wanted to check, but does the o/d sensor have a bolt on it? or can you just unplug it?

Sorry for the crappy pic, couldn't really get any pics under the car.. but does it look like this would be the sensor to unplug? Looked kinda hard to get in there, since it's such a small space.
Attached Thumbnails Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!-photo-0251-small-.jpg  
Old 11-24-08, 08:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, I am having a really hard time telling what that is in the picture.

The sensor is bolted on with one 10mm bolt but yes it can be simply unplugged. Your overdrive light will flash at you though. You'd be better off cutting the wire at the ECU if you decide you like the difference.

The sensor is on the driver's side. It is near where the bellhousing bolts to the actual transmisison case.

------------------------

Any updates from anyone else who's tried this? I've been running mine for a while now without any troubles.

KC
Old 11-24-08, 09:15 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

HAHA yeah i know sry about the pic, didn't have much room. but i'll give it a try tomorrow after class and let you know. I was thinking that I was going to have to take the bolt out, but seems simple enough to just unplug it. Looked kinda hard to get to cause it's kind of a tight spot, well at least for me, and I don't really have big hands, lol.
Old 11-25-08, 03:07 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

Hmm, so i went ahead and unplugged the sensor... or what i thought would be the right sensor. There was no blinking o/d light and i don't think i really noticed any difference with it unplugged. Nothing really happened when i unplugged it haha. So i'm going to keep looking... but it looked like it was the only one by the bellhouse casing so I'm not sure where else to find it, but i'll see.

Don't think this pic is any better but oh well haha... the circle in red is what I unplugged. It looked to be the right one but not sure, because no o/d light and i don't think i felt any difference driving.
Attached Thumbnails Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!-photo-0251-small-.jpg  
Old 11-26-08, 09:00 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fliptrix
Hmm, so i went ahead and unplugged the sensor... or what i thought would be the right sensor. There was no blinking o/d light and i don't think i really noticed any difference with it unplugged. Nothing really happened when i unplugged it haha. So i'm going to keep looking... but it looked like it was the only one by the bellhouse casing so I'm not sure where else to find it, but i'll see.

Don't think this pic is any better but oh well haha... the circle in red is what I unplugged. It looked to be the right one but not sure, because no o/d light and i don't think i felt any difference driving.
That picture is much better and I'm pretty sure you are in the right spot.

The od light won't flash until the second trip.

You won't notice a difference with normal driving only with spirited driving.

KC
Old 11-27-08, 03:37 PM
Inzane089
Driver

hey KC can i reach undermy car and kinda feel for it? or does it need to be jack up? i have an auto sc300 93.. and i really want to try it. let me know plz
Old 11-27-08, 03:55 PM
fliptrix
Advanced

you're going to need to jack the car up, you won't be able to reach under and feel for it
Old 11-27-08, 04:06 PM
Inzane089
Driver

i just did, and i would have to say theres a few plugs underthere. i couldnt see which one it was. plus i didnt get to mess with it much cuz it was hot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!